ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Brand new work in progress muitiplayer map
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't load with -ma lower than 400? Not even 2P? That's weird.
You don't need high -mt since you aren't using a lot of textures. Complex uses 13 textures and has -mt = 400, so you won't need to go higher than that.

-ma for multis is tricky. There's a min you have to exceed for the level to load, but if you assign it a very high value it won't work for 4P or 3P.
Try -ma = 230, it's same as Facility (4P) and it worked for Kakariko too.

Remember that the total of all allocations can't exceed something like 1100.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After a few days of working on my map. I've gotten it to load in 4 player mode. It runs perfectly in 60FPS and I also setup each and every portal in each room to keep the frame rate at a steady 60FPS

And honestly I am surprise, my original plan was to make the level empty to keep the solid 60 FPS limit. But I wanted to see what it would look like with all the objects in the map, and with a surprise, the map ran at 60FPS just the same as the level with out objects.

So in all, here what I completed,

Model done.
Clipping done.
Portals done.
Level setup done.

All I need now is to create a level image, and name the level, I decided to call the map Rogue by the way. Since well I could not come up with a good name, so I thought Rogue would be a good idea. Also a friend of mine came up with the name. So its pretty good.

So the good question is, what image editor you guys know of that will allow me to create a black and white photo? plus resizing the photo with out losing to much pixels.

And next question how do I name a level? I used to remember, but its been so long since I've done it. Laughing

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure it's running at 60 fps? What emu are you using? I know Prpject 64 has a fps displayer in the bottom right corner, but that only tells the % speed of the emulator (if it's 60.0 for a NTSC game or 50.0 for a PAL one it means emu is at 100% speed, if the number goes lower that means your computer isn't fast enough to keep up). Glide64 graphic plugin has a true fps displayer in its options.
However, it's true that most N64 games that have framerate issues on console run smoothly on emus, so it wouldn't be surprising if your level actually runs 60 fps with 4P.

What allocations (-ma, -mt) did you use to make the level work 4P? And what slot did you use?

For the level images (and textures in general) I always use Irfanview. Really easy to use.
For the small level images you can use 8bit greyscaled textures (it's something Subdrag added recently to editor). When you have the greyscaled image reduced, save it as 24bit and the editor will convert it when you add it in Image Tools.
I think you have to replace with "8 bit greyscale Image (00 type) Tbl 7 - 24 Bit bmp".

As for changing the name of the map, you have to edit the Ltitle.bin in text editor with Text Editor.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow EA, that's looking fantastic. You even got a railing setup?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
Are you sure it's running at 60 fps? What emu are you using? I know Prpject 64 has a fps displayer in the bottom right corner, but that only tells the % speed of the emulator (if it's 60.0 for a NTSC game or 50.0 for a PAL one it means emu is at 100% speed, if the number goes lower that means your computer isn't fast enough to keep up). Glide64 graphic plugin has a true fps displayer in its options.
However, it's true that most N64 games that have framerate issues on console run smoothly on emus, so it wouldn't be surprising if your level actually runs 60 fps with 4P.

What allocations (-ma, -mt) did you use to make the level work 4P? And what slot did you use?

For the level images (and textures in general) I always use Irfanview. Really easy to use.
For the small level images you can use 8bit greyscaled textures (it's something Subdrag added recently to editor). When you have the greyscaled image reduced, save it as 24bit and the editor will convert it when you add it in Image Tools.
I think you have to replace with "8 bit greyscale Image (00 type) Tbl 7 - 24 Bit bmp".

As for changing the name of the map, you have to edit the Ltitle.bin in text editor with Text Editor.

I got a good idea, I will release 2 versions of this map, one empty and one filled with objects to allow players to choose which one. Also I use Mupen64. and I made a mistake, it runs at a good 30 FPS for me that is, I was looking at the VI instead of FPS since the VI runs it at 60 FPS. But I will still release 2 versions of this map, to allow players who decide who wants to play this online, to have a better match if it lags online with the objects.

Also thanks for the help Sogun, I'll get the level named and the greyscale image finished.

Also Acceptable67, I must ask railing setup? It might be the fence your talking about, then yeah. I got 2 fence setup in the map, I also added 4 vent shoot out areas in the vent room, to allow players to stay in the fire range instead of running away in safety on the first or second floor vents. which will make an interesting and fun map. Smile

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear that. Even if the frame rate holds up, I'm just not a big fan of props in multiplayer. Unless they're essential to the look/the gameplay of a room, I'd rather they not be there.

Also, for the select photo, if you want to match the originals, you should do a fade to black gradient on the last...five I think rows of pixels? Also, Rare's artists did some sort of gamma correction on theirs that makes them look glossier than a pure grayscale image, I was never able to get it right for mine.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I did notice the glossy finish they had on the facility image when I exported the bmp to see how it was made. As for the fade out cut part, I was a bit sketchy on that one, since I did not know what that was for till now. Laughing

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Made a release topic on the Q-Lab forums. The level is now finish, and ready to be played.

Hope everyone enjoys!

Rey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like a solo mission to me. Good job Exclamation

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Totally solo-mission-able! I'm imagining ducking behind cover and popping guards off already! This map just oozes good combat situations Very Happy

EDIT: Given it's interconnected nature it'd actually also make a very good multi-mission map. One thing that I've not really seen in any game is the ability to create a "joint strike" on a room by flanking through separate pathways...which you could do in this one!

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

absolutely EPIC bro Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: