ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The perfect Goldeneye 64 experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maxout wrote:
Ok, to get one more in, the perfect experience is no auto-aim. Don't let the machines take over. Razz

Auto-aim is great for people new to console first person shooters, or even veterans who like auto-aim, but you should always have the option of turning it off, which lots of games don't have, sadly. The worst game I remember for it was Unreal Tournament on the PS2, which had a far too powerful auto-aim (enabling you to get a direct hit with a rocket every time, provided you even vaguely aimed at an enemy Rolling Eyes ) and of course you couldn't turn off the auto-aim, which ruined the game for me as I (a not too brilliant player) was artificially very good at the game, and a game with no challenge is no fun.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The cool thing about GE/PD on top of the auto-aim option, are two other things to cut down it's usage. Unarmed opponents won't allow you to lock-onto them, and specific weaponry (rocket launcher and throwing knives, for example) don't target enemies. I didn't even realize that last part until earlier this year! Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

the 4th survivor
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A Sony PVM TV is one of the best you can get for retro gaming and I was looking for one last year but couldn't find any here in Ohio. If you're in California or New York you should have a much better shot at finding one and they're pretty cheap too. Like less than a hundred bucks.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So does anyone here have that two prong SuperPad and has used it with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark? If so, how's the aiming versus an official controller? This is the biggest deal to me, anything else in inconsequential, but if aim mode is difficult to use then I don't want it. I'll stick to my official controller for GE and XBLA for PD.

Oddly enough when I tried playing GE with my right hand on the C buttons it's like I just knew what to do differently and I could play fine...except I have to move with the analog stick again! Muscle memory's a funny thing. It looks like the layout will be a non issue.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
So does anyone here have that two prong SuperPad and has used it with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark? If so, how's the aiming versus an official controller? This is the biggest deal to me, anything else in inconsequential, but if aim mode is difficult to use then I don't want it. I'll stick to my official controller for GE and XBLA for PD.

Oddly enough when I tried playing GE with my right hand on the C buttons it's like I just knew what to do differently and I could play fine...except I have to move with the analog stick again! Muscle memory's a funny thing. It looks like the layout will be a non issue.

I use the Superpad (well, the transparent version called the Makopad 64, but it's the same pad - here it is http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/015814 ) and it's fantastic. The aiming is really precise (well I think so, though I'm only a so-so gamer), and it's very rugged - I've had it for about fourteen years now, and it's ben hammered by PD, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., etc, and the stick is still as precise now as it was when I first got the joypad. Compare that to the state of an official N64 joypad's analogue stick after the wear and tear of a couple of years...

So yes, I'd really recommend the it, and it's great being able to access all of the controls without having to shift your grip. Definitely my favourite ever N64 controller.

Raijin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: The perfect Goldeneye 64 experience Reply with quote Back to top

Nekojin wrote:

3. Even with both, a decent television and console setup, the experience you get when playing goldeneye can still be awful if the controller does not work properly. Many suggestions are floating around the internet, but so far only 2 worked well enough for me. One way is to buy a new original controller of eBay, but since they are pretty rare and also expensive, this solution is by far not perfect (and they turn bad after some time (remember Mario Party Smile). The best one so far (which I use at the moment) comes in form of a Game Cube style replacement stick ( http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-Thumbstick-Joystick-Repair-for-NINTENDO-64-N64-Controller-Replacement-Stick-/160655759083?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2567d456eb ). Only problem: They do not work with Goldeneye or Perfect Dark (and Super Smash Bros), as the curser jumps and is too sensitive. Thanks to micro (and sanni) another custom board has been made (PIC based, open source), which fixes also this problem Smile (http://circuit-board.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178064#p178064 )

So if you are happy enough to get all of the above, you are good to go for the best possible Goldeneye 64 experience.
Enjoy, and feel free to add any suggestions you might have Smile

These replacement thumbstick are good for all n64 games except FPS,in my opinion,he is much inaccurate

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually on the topic of auto-aim...call me crazy but I can't help but notice that some weapons seem to have a stronger aiming than others, and always wondered if there was a factor that controlled these. Does anyone know anything about this at all or is it just a flag?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
I use the Superpad (well, the transparent version called the Makopad 64, but it's the same pad - here it is http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/015814 ) and it's fantastic. The aiming is really precise (well I think so, though I'm only a so-so gamer), and it's very rugged - I've had it for about fourteen years now, and it's ben hammered by PD, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., etc, and the stick is still as precise now as it was when I first got the joypad. Compare that to the state of an official N64 joypad's analogue stick after the wear and tear of a couple of years...

So yes, I'd really recommend the it, and it's great being able to access all of the controls without having to shift your grip. Definitely my favourite ever N64 controller.

I could've sworn I replied to this, maybe I got the error about posting too soon after my last post and didn't realize it. Anyway, thanks for the first-hand information.

Has your Z button held up well? Guessing it has or you would've mentioned it, but I notice that it apparently has a high failure rate according to reviews online, going as far back as when the controller was still relatively new. I'm concerned about it, since I'll definitely be buying a used one.

Raijin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

failure may happen because the rubber button, replace it or put powdered graphite on the place where is the button can solve the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: