ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The Everdrive 64 is great! But some games show nothing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: The Everdrive 64 is great! But some games show nothing... Reply with quote Back to top

Since I can't get N64 emulation to work right (unlike every other machine I try to emulate), I decided to bite the bullet and buy a backup device for the N64 as that seemed the only way I was going to get to play Goldeneye X. So I've bought an Everdrive 64, and I have to say that it's very nice indeed.

I have a PAL N64 (I'm in England), and so I bought the PAL Everdrive 64, and it not only allows me to play PAL games, but also NTSC games which is a real bonus, as it means I can play the games that were never released in this country (Sin and Punishment, Indiana Jones, Harvest Moon, etc). The Everdrive 64 is not really a backup device, as it can't back up (copy) your cartridges to a PC or storage device. All the Everdrive 64 can do is play ROM files (game files) from an SD Card, but it does this very well, and since downloading the N64 ROMs is so easy, being unable to create image files of your own cartridges isn't a problem.

When you boot up your N64 with an Everdrive 64 and SD Card, you are taken to an easy to use menu, allowing you to load any games stored on the card, or to change the game save chip type, as game saves are stored on the SD Card (but only for games that normally save to the cartridge itself - games that save to the controller pak still need a controller pak to save to). Goldeneye X v0.5a works great, and so do most of the games I've tried, from all regions.

The problem games are:

1. Banjo Tooie, which is the only game that officially does NOT work with the ED64. Typical isn't it, that if there had to be one game that didn't work with it, it would have to be one of the best games on the system, and not some really bad game that no one would miss, like Superman 64 or Carmageddon 64. Anyway, Banjo Tooie won't work, unless the ED64's software is updated to fix this incompatibility (which might happen, the software has been updated a few times already) though thankfully that doesn't matter to me as I already have the game.

2. The Super Mario 64 hacks. Really annoying this - for some technical reason the SM64 hacks will only work on emulators and not on any real N64. This isn't a problem with Everdrive 64, it's with the N64 itself, so no amount of upgraded ED64 firmware will fix the problem.

3. For some reason, a few N64 games (when loaded via the ED64) give me a blank black screen, although the music plays so the game is running correctly. When I plug the N64 into the other TV in the house, the picture (and game) works great, so it's my TV that's the problem, but I don't know why. My TV is a fairly new LCD (whereas the other is like twice the age, say six years or so old), and other than this works fine with everything (I have six consoles, a PC (laptop), Sky, plus a DVD player plugged into the TV, via a connection network that would baffle a brain surgeon, and they all work great on my TV.

If you're thinking that it's because my TV can't handle 60Hz (which was my first thought), then forget it - my XBox 360 (and the XBox 1, I think) are both set to run at 60Hz, and work fine on the TV. Plus my N64 + ED64 loads most NTSC (and therefore 60Hz) games and displays them fine. on the TV, so it's not the 60Hz refresh rate that's the problem (is it?). Could it be that the TV doesn't support strange resolutions, that these games create?

The only problem games I've found so far are:

Indiana Jones (NTSC) - black screen no matter what I do,

Goldeneye X - black screen until Bond is typing in Joanna Dark's office (just before the first menu appears). I don't get the N64 sign, or the first video (the flyby over the city).

I'm sure there were a couple of other games that either were blank for good, or just until the main menu came up, but I can't remember what they are. Almost every game I've tried works fine on the TV, though. Can anyone suggest anything I can try on my TV to fix the problem?

Anyway, even if I can't get this problem fixed (which is down to the TV, not the Everdrive 64) I'd really recommend the ED64 to anyone who wants to play Goldeneye X (to a GE/PD fanatic like me, it'd be well worth the money even if Goldeneye X was all the ED64 would run!) or to have all of their games (in effect) plugged into their N64 at once, and fully selectable by a friendly menu system. Factor in that it allows us PAL users to play non-PAL games like Sin and Punishment, and Harvest Moon 64, and also play the NTSC versions of games that had inferior PAL ports (Mario Kart 64 really does feel faster, for example, unlike the swimming-through-syrup) PAL version), and the three seconds to load a game time (brilliant!) and it really does become well worth the cost. I got mine for £108 including postage and an 8GB SD Card, from consolenostalgia at http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/consolenostalgia?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 and their service and speed was fantastic (e-mail them if they don't have any Everdrive 64's listed, as they sell out fast). For more information see:

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

mods: please note, this isn't an advert or spam, I'm just recommending an addon for the N64, and a (fast and helpful)seller, and I'm not linking to ROMs, so I'm not breaking the TOS, as far as I know.

Warning - apparently if you try to use the Everdrive 64 with a Gameshark cheat device (or an equivalent cheat device, such as the Exploder 64, or the Equaliser), you'll brick the cheat device (stop it from working) and maybe permanently damage the ED64 too. Something to be wary of.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
For some reason, a few N64 games (when loaded via the ED64) give me a blank black screen, although the music plays so the game is running correctly.

It's not your TV.

Certain games were specificly designed to test against region-specific variables and will either run only video or only audio as a result when played on the wrong region system. You used to see this when people tried region-swapping a game via hacking.
For instance, Rush 2049 doesn't appreciate being slid from PAL to NTSC or vice-versa. In that case, the audio (which is testing a count value) will not run. There's a good (but technical) reason for this, closely tied to why SubDrag's sound extractor can't grab its music.

In the case of GE:X, the thing could be running in FPAL mode up until the main engine kicks in. Title screens are sometimes in a different video mode than other parts of a game, and there's 56 official modes before you get into special-case stuff. FPAL is a mongrel mode anyway; at standard resolution it's 320 x 288, and at hi-res double that.
I mention it as a possibility since some older emulators suffered the same behaviour during PD and GE title screens, and GE does use it on the legal page. Resolution might also be an issue.

The issue with Mario64 hacks is that the code spliced into the ROMs happens to be poorly coded. Any accurate emulator (MESS, MAME, or the more accurate spinoffs of Mupen) will fail, since you can't do things like unaligned read/write operations on hardware. There are opcodes specificly to handle that, and they didn't use them. Also, you normally have to align PI reads to 2byte boundries (most use 4 though to be safe), though I'm guessing that wouldn't be the issue.
The standard is if it runs on console it's okay, not the other way around.

Likewise, the SCUMMVM port only runs on console due to the screwball way they coded that. It turns out some clever person realized you can read and write to COP0 registers that aren't necessarily documented as writable, and most emulators don't bother implementing the TRAP series of instructions. Honestly though, it's a horrible mess.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK, thanks for the information, mate. It does disappoint me how N64 emulators still are so far from perfect after all this time - I still remember back in 1998 (was it?), seeing UltraHLE running Super Mario 64 and being *amazed*. Now it's fourteen years later, and we still don't have a fully compatible and/or well running emulator. I know that the N64 is probably hard to emulate, and also that it's apparently badly documented, but whatever the reasons, the lack of emulators to the standards we're used to for other machines is extremely disappointing.

The problem is definitely my TV in at least one game though - Indiana Jones (U) runs fine on the older TV, but on the new one the screen is permanently black, with the sounds continuing as normal.

Regarding the Super Mario problem, I take it the problem is much to complex for a program that just reads in the ROM, locates the incorrect op codes and replaces them with the working equivalents, and writes out a (fixed) ROM file?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Indiana Jones is among Factor 5's more amazingly coded games. It's engine is unique, the microcodes are unique and complex, and I'd guess it's playing tricks with its video output. You might run into something similiar with "Battle for Naboo", which was notorious for having more graphical features than its PC counterpart.

The big issue with the N64 is that the RCP is a joint video/audio card that can be programmed at runtime and uses a signal processor to gain a speed advantage. You can't emulate signal processors at the rate that they operate, since they're designed to run as fast as possible with no error correction. Also, since the video card operates on a different principle than modern ones, direct conversion really isn't feasible.
So, in the end, you need a super-top PC to get near what the N64 spit out back then. MESS has great LLE, but can't operate at the speed a HLE can. Go HLE and you're not going to be as accurate.
Still, supporting all the ops would have been nice.

There's no such program to interpret code though. I seriously question if one could be written honestly, and it certainly couldn't account for things like bad table offsets.

The closest thing would be a very simple scanner for common mistypes, such as searching for LW/SW and masking the lower two bits, then flag the addresses, and ditto with LD/SD with lower three bits. If either is set, you'd have to look at the code to determine the fix though, since it's based on use. Simply changing it would break whatever is supposed to be loaded, which obviously hasn't moved. That wouldn't help with nonsense like:
LUI V0,8008
ADDIU V0,V0,2001
LW V1,0000 (V0)
-and in that case you'd need a backstepping interpretter.

Best thing is to see when it crashes on console, then try to trace what's going on right then with an emulator. Annoying really. Other option is to look at the differences in code and scan only those.

Thing is, you'd still have to tell a scanner what is and isn't ASM. Accurate detection would be horrifyingly complex, or maybe impossible. Not sure if an algorithm has been mathmatically disproven or not, but I imagine it would be much like arbitrary pattern detection. Plus, RSP microcode happens to be built on but differs wildly from R4300 opcodes, so you have to put that whole mess into account too.

Thing is, M64's developer has known about this for a while (as in well over a year, and probably longer) but hasn't actually offered a patch to correct the issue as far as I know. Chances are the next editor version will correct this on output but a patch won't be provided to fix older projects.
That just isn't the way to handle a major bug like that. When we screwed up GE so it crashed after 30secs of gameplay, we didn't just update all the patches already submitted but bugfixed the editor and provided stand-alone patches for anything we missed. It was out as soon as possible; we were working like mad to get it fixed.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Two things to add to my original post;

1. I've just found out that you can change the TV output setting of some ROMs using a program called Paladin, available from:

http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/64scener.parodius.com/tools.htm

Using this, I've changed my Indiana Jones file to PAL, and it now plays fine on my TV! Well, it's letterboxed*, so it's less than perfect, but at least my TV can play it, which it couldn't before (if I want to play it properly I'll have to use the other TV ). I've also tried it on the two MAME (arcade emulator) versions I've downloaded that won't ordinarily work on my TV. Thanks to Paladin, one version does now work on my TV, albeit it letterboxed, but the other one doesn't, for some reason, though I've yet to try all the settings on Paladin, so maybe I can fix the second MAME rom.

Note that Paladin is command line based, though it's very simple to use. Just type in

Paladin /p MAME.V64

for example, to convert MAME.V64 to a PAL version. Just type

Paladin

on it's own to get a complete list of command line arguments for the program.

There is a front end for Paladin available, but when I tried it it didn't work. It seemed to work, but actually didn't alter the rom files at all, and didn't throw up any error messages, so beware of that, and you might prefer to just stick to Paladin itself, as the command line usage is very simple.

One more thing is that in the Paladin instructions it warns that some games will have corrupted sound when converted, since the 50hz to 60hz (or vice versa) timing change will confuse the timing-accurate sound routines. So far, Indiana Jones when converted to PAL had crackly sound on the splash screens when booting the game, but when the game plays the sound is fine, and MAME (the version I got working) had no sound problems at all.

* Letterboxed = the screen is vertically squashed, with a block border at the top and bottom of the screen.

2. An Everdrive 64 user has written a program that allows you to backup and restore controller pak gamesaves to your SD Card. This allows you to not only store your controller pak gamesaves on the SC Card (meaning that you won't lose them if the controller pak breaks or it's battery fails), but also means that you can now store the gamesaves on your PC/Mac, and swap them with other users. And it means you can use just one controller pak with as many games as you like, as you can transfer the relevent gamesaves to and from the controller pak as often as you like.

You still need a controller pak to save/load the gamesave data of course, but when the game has been saved to the controller pak you can now back the data up to the SD Card. This program also allows you to format the controller pak (clear all data from it), which is useful if the controller pak has become corrupted.

I've tried the program and it does work, but be warned that the program doesn't ask for confirmtion before doing something, so if you accidentally press C-Up then the program will format your controller pak, and you'll lose your games saves that were on there. So be very careful when using the program.

The program is also limited in that it can only backup or restore the whole controller pak at the moment, , and not individual saves. Plus it has the annoying limitation that it saves every instance of the controller pak with the meaningless (to us humans) name of mem1.pak, mem2.pak, mem3.pak, etc. It would be much more useful if it allowed the user to specifiy the name, so that we could call it things like

Duke Nukem 64 - level 8.pak
Turok 2 - Level 5.pak
Virtual Pool.pak

and so on. Still, hopefully the author will update the program, and even as it stands it's very useful indeed - but be careful when using it not to press the wrong buttont (it's menu driven so it allways shows you what buttons to press). And the bloke who makes the Everdrive 64 has said that the next OS update will include the ability to back up controller pak gamesaves, but until then you can download Mempak Tool (currently version 0.5) from:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41396-release-Mempak-Tool-for-the-ED64

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Another update:

Banjo Tooie has now been hacked to work with the Everdrive 64! This means that the Everdrive 64 now works with every commercial N64 game, and every N64 program except for the unofficial Super Mario 64 new level hacks (which is down to the hacks themselves not running on real N64s, not the Everdrive 64). Unfortunately the Banjo Tooie fix is only for the NTSC version of the game, so if you have a PAL N64 then your TV has to support NTSC mode (almost all new or fairly new TVs do, at least in England). Thankfully mine does, and I can confirm that the hack works and BT now starts and plays fine on my PAL system.

To get BT working on your Everdrive 64, go to

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43143-Banjo-Tooie-(U)-NTSC-Crack-amp-Save-Fix-released-today!

and follow the instructions in post #9, that's all there is to it!

Many thanks to Jovis, Dextrose and everyone else involved, and of course KRIKzz for making the Everdrive 64 in the first place.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those are the old cracks from 10 years ago, right? There should be an old PAL one someplace.

Actually, I've been thinking about redocumenting the aps patch format used in those, since most of the rest of the hacking community has completely forgotten about it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was under the impression BT had not been "cracked" until now. I read the notes, I think this one was an implementation of the CIC algorithm. Maybe I'm misreading but I would've just disabled that, not sure why it fed back the result algorithm.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There was an old crack that just tossed the checks out altogether back when Dextrose was up, along with the other 1-2 games that test at startup. BT is the only game that actually tests for the chip routinely.
Emus always had a problem due to a typo in the PIF.dat file, but that's been corrected now.

I assumed that's what he was refering to with the credit to Dextrose in there and aps files, since that site's long gone now (and poorly archived) and aps hasn't been used in the last decade.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't comment on the technicalities of the banjo Tooie crack from my own knowledge (since I know nothing - I could have been a coder for Titus, considering how little I know about the N64 Wink ), but according to the scrolling message that now appeares when you first boot up the (fixed to run on the Everdrive) ROM, BT uses a similar form of protection to Jet Force Gemini, but JFG only sends one code to the chip, and if it doesn't receive the right answer back then the game knows it's a pirate and acts accordingly. BT, however, sends around three hundred codes to the chip, and of course needs to get the right answer back every time, and the person who wrote this hack of BT had cracked more than forty of the codes, and was sent a list of them all, but then someone cracked the algorithm, so he finally used the algorithm and not a look up table in the finished crack. The correct response to each sent code is used to decompress the data to a given starting location, which (I assume) is why it wasn't possible just to remove the send/receive code routines.

Personally I'm just glad it now works. Someone on the assemblergames.com Everdrive forum says "This would make the Harmony for the Atari2600 and the Everdrive64 the only 100% library compatible cartridges on the market", which is great, specially since the N64 sees so little progress nowadays, compared to other retro-platforms - aside from the GE/PD hacking on this site, and the Super Mario 64 hacks, is there anything else being done on the N64 nowadays? There's no homebrew games being made/ported, no level editors made for games (there is an F-Zero X editor, but from what I can see no one uses it now), no fan-made translations of foreign games. It is a real pity that the N64 scene nowadays is so small.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's good they finally got the last ones working with this generation of BUs. (Though for game+funny hardware you still can't beat the old V64jrs.)

Zelda. Lots of Zelda. Also, Marshall has been making homebrew and getting others set up with it. Several other homebrew tools, built as ROMs, have been made as well: the GBcamera tool, GB dumper, MSX emu are recent and come to mind. I've heard of others that aren't officially announced as well.
For homebrew look towards the LibDragon, MESS, and assemblergames communities.

The F-Zero X community is really tight-knit and doesn't mingle much with the rest of the N64 world. Since then they've also made a car customizer. Go here if you want into that scene.
http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewforum.php?f=49
Don't trust them about GS compatibility though. The same week its editor was released I released a tool to upload courses (even a circuit at a time), a documentation on how the editor's own files are stored, and a tool to convert them to N64 format. I'm also permabanned ;*)

Sub and I have been working on cracking all the audio and compression formats for N64 games. In a few days we can add StarCraft 64 to the list, and if I write up a compressor (or change the compression altogether) then you could also add custom scenarios to it as well. All but the pcx files, wavs, and smacker files are their PC counterparts, and those are just N64 equivalents with seperate palettes. Be hilarious to port Gundam Century to it ;*)

64DD emulation is in the works. Right now they're using an intercept tool to work out the last kinks with data transfers. Although you culd do sloppy loads right now without any work, they're trying to emulate the thing right the first time.

Sin and Punishment is an emu-only translation. As for emu-compatible, there's Wonder Project J2. Essentially the first half of the game is spent training a robot to be human, and that's the real shining part of it. It bugs out on some emulators but plays great on the real thing. There's a small, updated patch on the creator's website fixing a few typos and with a small text bubble fix I provided.

There's also my incomplete Animal Forest patch--thank the GE community for that not getting done. I'd like to change a few things internally anyway, mostly to make it easier to port to other languages.

If you're decent with Kanji or you have a good ear I could use some help with Irritated Stick. (Yes, intentional questionable translation of the name there ;*) Game's effectively dumped now, but has a lot of audio and all the text is plastered images. There's some menu translations of a few others, such as the Custom Robo games. I've also got some text dumps of the tutorial scripts in Dezaemon 3D (and a scheme for loading disk-only content), and a lot of other japanese-only titles have already had their compression broken.

Need to stick a variable-width font into PMS, but that's basically done. Worked out the kanji based on context. Actually, it's would be a rather simple matter to shuffle in the remaining pkmn as well.

Mostly the problem is getting a translator willing to sift through scripts and look at images. If you know one send them my way ;*)

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
It's good they finally got the last ones working with this generation of BUs. (Though for game+funny hardware you still can't beat the old V64jrs.)

Why, does the V64jr do something that other cartridges don't do?

It's a pity that the backup cartridges were so expensive in the N64's commercial days, as if they weren't, and more people had them, then probably more homebrew would have been written for the N64.

Quote:

Zelda. Lots of Zelda. Also, Marshall has been making homebrew and getting others set up with it. Several other homebrew tools, built as ROMs, have been made as well: the GBcamera tool, GB dumper, MSX emu are recent and come to mind. I've heard of others that aren't officially announced as well.

For homebrew look towards the LibDragon, MESS, and assemblergames communities.

I'll have a look, thanks.

Quote:

The F-Zero X community is really tight-knit and doesn't mingle much with the rest of the N64 world. Since then they've also made a car customizer. Go here if you want into that scene.
http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewforum.php?f=49
Don't trust them about GS compatibility though. The same week its editor was released I released a tool to upload courses (even a circuit at a time), a documentation on how the editor's own files are stored, and a tool to convert them to N64 format. I'm also permabanned ;*)

Thanks for the info, and I'm sorry to hear you're banned, though I have known of some sites where the mods form practically a boys' club and anyone who doesn't conform to their views is given a bumpy ride, often leading up to a banning.

Quote:

Sub and I have been working on cracking all the audio and compression formats for N64 games. In a few days we can add StarCraft 64 to the list, and if I write up a compressor (or change the compression altogether) then you could also add custom scenarios to it as well. All but the pcx files, wavs, and smacker files are their PC counterparts, and those are just N64 equivalents with seperate palettes. Be hilarious to port Gundam Century to it ;*)

I've never hard of Gundam Century before, I'll google it tomorrow (have to get going soon, I have to be up in six and one quarter hours for work Rolling Eyes )

Quote:

64DD emulation is in the works. Right now they're using an intercept tool to work out the last kinks with data transfers. Although you culd do sloppy loads right now without any work, they're trying to emulate the thing right the first time.

It's good that that progress is being made with 64DD emulation (or in any area that's not been emulated), but is it worth it? What does the 64DD have that's worth having for someone running an N64 emulator? I'm not being negative, BTW, just genuinely curious, as I know very little about the 64DD, other than it had the F-Zero X construction kit, Sim City 2000, and could go online.

Quote:

Sin and Punishment is an emu-only translation.

Yes, I googled it when I got the Everdrive. A pity, but great for emulator users, of course.

Quote:

As for emu-compatible, there's Wonder Project J2. Essentially the first half of the game is spent training a robot to be human, and that's the real shining part of it. It bugs out on some emulators but plays great on the real thing. There's a small, updated patch on the creator's website fixing a few typos and with a small text bubble fix I provided.

I've heard of that game, but not yet tried it. What's the web site, please?

Quote:

There's also my incomplete Animal Forest patch--thank the GE community for that not getting done. I'd like to change a few things internally anyway, mostly to make it easier to port to other languages.

If you're decent with Kanji or you have a good ear I could use some help with Irritated Stick. (Yes, intentional questionable translation of the name there ;*) Game's effectively dumped now, but has a lot of audio and all the text is plastered images. There's some menu translations of a few others, such as the Custom Robo games. I've also got some text dumps of the tutorial scripts in Dezaemon 3D (and a scheme for loading disk-only content), and a lot of other japanese-only titles have already had their compression broken.

How clear is the sound? My hearing isn't exactly great (I find it difficult to watch many films now, unless they have subtitles), I especially have trouble with (to me) unclear speech. My eyesight isn't brilliant either, but it's a lot better than my hearing. I don't know any Kanji (had to Google it to find out what the word meant), sorry.

Quote:

Need to stick a variable-width font into PMS, but that's basically done. Worked out the kanji based on context. Actually, it's would be a rather simple matter to shuffle in the remaining pkmn as well.

Mostly the problem is getting a translator willing to sift through scripts and look at images. If you know one send them my way ;*)

If you want graphical images of English text converting to real text (in, say, Notepad) then I'll give it a go, certainly, but not if it's spoken audio, or Kanji, I'm afraid.

Raijin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really want to buy a ED64, but here in Brazil if I buy the ED64 Internet would cost R$ 925.30 (currency of my country), convert it into the currency of your country and be surprised. And I did not put the price of shipping, just the product.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: