ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GEX 5B Official Patch Released! @ 03-01-13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great stuff Wreck. Looking forward to the next patch.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It does seem like a possible mistake, but they definitely did intend for only the Magnum and Silver PP7 to punch through the bulletproof glass. You're right about the other powerful weapons (AR, RC and Laser) being able to visually penetrate through the glass, yet they don't connect with any objects beyond it. You can fire directly at an opponents head, and yet the bullet passes clean through without causing damage. Only the two other guns actually injure characters or weaken props, and that was purposely done. Realistically, the first three weapons should have stopped dead when striking the bulletproof glass, but that might have been much more difficult to setup. And so we're left with one of those fun game quirks only some people pick up on. (Edit: Actually, it looks like Rare fixed this in PD. Only the two weapons set to fire through bulletproof glass actually can. The others won't penetrate the glass. That's a nice fix.)

I'm not sure right now how you could slowdown a Simulant's firing rate on something like a Magnum, but there is a way to increase your own and not affect them. That's what I've done for GEX. It boosts player rapid fire speed, but not the held trigger rate. You can match them, though that's a touch faster than your maximum fire rate in GoldenEye. But since this is Perfect Dark we're talking about, you could get away with that no problem. The Phoenix may be a similar case, but Shotgun might be weird using this same technique. The pump action could be jumpy looking. Guess I'd need to try it out and see.

Thanks for the kitten offer, but I've already got two cats... and they're a handful. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, if rare did set the them up that way in PD then you are absolutely right. All this time I thought other hi powered weapons were original meant to pierce the glass. :S

QuaidShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Guys!
First, this is my first post here, so first thanks for all this hard work on the patch! This patch was a thing that i was dreaming for years. So thank you all!

Now i have a question for the next patch when it came out:
I saw that in the previous patch there was a ported Multiplayerlevel from "The World Is Not Enough" (Labyrinth).
My question is, would it be possible to port another map from this game and replace a level with this in Goldeneye X?
Because "TWINE" has so much amazing maps such as Skyrail or Istanbul!

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This has been discussed before (but I can't find the thread), and the Goldeneye X team have said that it's a lot more work to convert a TWINE level to Goldeneye/Perfect Format than you'd think, since they are so different in their data formats, plus the map would need to use graphics from TWINE (unless they used pre-existing graphics from GE/PD). I don't think the answer was a definite 'No, we'll never put another TWINE map in Goldeneye X', instead I think it was 'Maybe, we'll see when Goldeneye X is finished (as in when GE is completely in the PD engine), no promises'.

Personally, I'm hoping they port TWINE's Forest level into Goldeneye X, as that level would be brilliant with sims.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, I just thought if it's impossible to slowdown the firing rates for simulants using the cougar magnum could it be possible to decrease the damage rate the cougar magnum does when fired by a simulant instead?
This way you can put the original firing rates for the Magnum and not have to change the human player firing rate.
Also how is the moonraker laser coming along?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Simulants rely on the damage value set on the weapon itself, so there is no adjusting that. There's only a few specific Simulant weapon settings we're aware of right now. How far they are supposed to use said fire arm from an opponent, the amount of ammo they require before using it, the amount of ammo left in their reserve before fleeing to acquire more, which functions they are able use, reload time, and their preferences. Like in PD, Sims will be able to fire certain weapons a bit faster than humans, but at least now they won't reload as quickly as we can.

I'll take a look into the Moonraker recoil tomorrow.

Thanks for joining the message board, QuaidShot! We're always happy to hear more people enjoying GoldenEye X. Smile

Zoinkity is the only guy who really knows how to port the TWINE levels into GE or PD. He did release some information and files before, though I didn't get a chance to check it out. It's a fair amount of work, since it was a different team working with their own engine. With GE and PD, they were extremely similar, so porting things between games isn't so bad.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I sort of released the toolkit so I wouldn't be the one to port anything else. You're totally welcome to try though ;*)

Between that stuff and the editor you should be able to get it to work. To be fair, I used that stuff and no editor to make Labyrinth, so nobody has any excuses ;*)

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ can I have the forum link to that toolkit?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I looked into the recoil, but didn't find anything useful. None of the weapons in PD seem to have zero recoil - even if their values are set that way. The Mauler, when fired, doesn't appear to move much, but there is a part of the gun that slides back. Their Laser's primary function also has little recoil, as does the Klobb. Unless there is something I'm missing, it may not be possible to completely remove the recoil. There's only a subtle amount for the Moonraker Laser, though that's still more than GE originally had. This might be one of those things that we either can't do, or won't figure out until later.

I'd been wanting to test putting "bumpers" on the backs of ramps in VR levels, to see how Simulants would respond to them. After putting some in Stack, the results are exactly as I had expected. While humans interact with them just fine, Sims become confused while running up the ramp. They begin to go diagonal off the side, then run into a wall for a short period of time. Once they realize "I'm going nowhere, better get back on course", the Simulant resumes normal activity. So, as far as multiplayer goes, we'll just have to get used to popping up through the backs of stairs and ramps. This should be remedied in missions, however.

QuaidShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I see!
I already thought myself that it would be very hard to convert the "TWINE" levels because of the different engines.
But would it be ok then to maybe port this here to replace the
"Cradle" in MP and SP?

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=286

Maybe just make the ground level and the mountains to a smaller texturesize to reduce more lag.
But anyways, the porting levels have not highest priority now.
First do the things that you find more necessary, Wreck! Smile

PS: Sorry when my text sounds a little harsh, i don´t mean it so!

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If nothing can be done for the moonraker laser recoil I say leave it alone for now and get back to it some time in the future. As for the bumpers I'm fine if nothing can be done with it on VR but nice to know it can be for solo campaign.

Edit: Did you get to try out the bumpers on the staircase in the tank room in Facility? And how about the room with the double staircases in Frigate? Ramps like in stacks and complex wouldn't bother me without a bumper.

Just to be sure did you get to take a listen at the randomizing on the Elevator tracks yet? Also were you able to rename both of the Simulants in "Bot Buffet" preset game from Meatsims to Weaksims? And lastly, did the player rankings 1, 13, and 14 get renamed yet as well?

^^I have to go with QuaidShot on that one! Would love it to replace the current one.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't mind if EternallyAries Cradle was ported for Solo mission level only.

Last edited by AstroBomber on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

QuaidShot wrote:
Okay, I see!
I already thought myself that it would be very hard to convert the "TWINE" levels because of the different engines.
But would it be ok then to maybe port this here to replace the
"Cradle" in MP and SP?

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=286

Maybe just make the ground level and the mountains to a smaller texturesize to reduce more lag.
But anyways, the porting levels have not highest priority now.
First do the things that you find more necessary, Wreck! Smile

PS: Sorry when my text sounds a little harsh, i don´t mean it so!

I never had the idea cross my mind, about having my map being ported to Goldeneye X. It would be a wonderful idea as well since the Perfect Dark engine could handle more on screen then Goldeneye engine. Plus from what I remember, the game gonna have more added detail to the current levels that are being ported. Like snow weather in surface. So I think it would be a fantastic idea to move my cradle version into Goldeneye X.

But that is all up to the Goldeneye X team though, if they feel like adding my map. I would 100% support the idea.

As for multiplayer though, the map would frame skip horribly due to all the polygons, sims, and the 4 player screens. Displaying everything at once would bog the framerate down so low that it might not even be playable unless the fog is right at your face. The current version of Cradle for multiplayer is already fantastic. Sure it might be missing 3 towers and a huge amount of detail. But it plays in multiplayer flawlessly from my times of playing with all the sims at once on the level.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think all the docs and tools for TWINE are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jcxa91a9smjdr9b/TWINK.7z

I had two other archives, but they all appear to be duplicates. Could have sworn worked up a more complete filelist, though that was probably on one of my floppies and never made it into the archive. For the most part, you'll want extracts to be automated.

Fair warning though, some solo stages have funny embedded code that will cause specific room export to fail. The rest of the stage and all its objects will be fine, but, well, aegh...
Also, TWINE makes no distinction between objects and rooms. None. In general that's a Eurocom thing, not making any solid distinction between resource types.

Export is predominantly a war of attrition. It doesn't require much effort, but a lot of time. For instance, you'll want to merge the tris along walls. They gave each texture it's own quad, so if a texture is repeated along a wall the wall will be made up of sometimes hundreds of freaking quads when they could just as easily made it out of one, repeating the texture.
Sometimes you just need to merge a couple hundred tris into a single surface.
Sometimes room boundries are stupid and need to be shifted around.
Sometimes doors need to be shifted to portal bounds so they close the rooms behind them.
Sometimes all the portals face the wrong way.
Sometimes you need to delete the invisible "clipping" they used.
Sometimes you just have something better to do that clean up their mess.

TWINE is just awfully time consuming, and Labyrinth was the only stage I really, really wanted.

You can also extract weapons and objects individually, though they tend towards meh. Characters aren't immediately usable; you'd have to slice them apart and merge their bodies to port into GE or PD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to some investigation into the weapon function block by Sub, the Moonraker recoil has been abolished. Same thing goes for the Watch Laser, which is accessible in the mission campaign with the All Guns cheat. I also made a listing of all the weapon function blocks, which allowed me to tweak other little weapon details for the Golden Gun, Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher. There wasn't anything major, but recoil on both launchers was adjusted, and accuracy on all three corrected (though on the Golden Gun you shouldn't notice a difference).

Yes, I tested to make sure all the songs would play and be selected in the randomizing options. Both the Dam (first in list) and the End Credits (last in last) could be chosen and heard in matches.

I did in fact update the "MeatSim" to "WeakSim" in Bot Buffet. Though meat did kind of fit in, since it is a buffet! Razz

The staircases have not been tested with bumpers, but I am pretty confident we'd end up with either a similar result, or a total block of Sim access to the steps. Vertical wall clipping directly beneath a path they take screws them up. During the course of the project, I've had to alter the clipping in areas of a couple levels where this occured. Library/Stack, Complex and Bunker to name a few. Simulants aren't nearly as smart as the mission AI. They get stuck on swinging doors, have issues with clipping, and are always charging forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: