ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

My N64's life flashed before my eyes ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: My N64's life flashed before my eyes ... Reply with quote Back to top

I recently did something stupid with a Gameshark that I should warn people about. I was sitting at my desk, extremely bored yet too lazy to actually work on anything semi-useful, so I picked up an empty Altoids can and pondered what I could do with such a useful item. After thinking about it for a awhile I decided to encase my Gameshark with it. After some cutting and taping, "ALTOIDS" covered the front of my gameshark board, while a flattened Nutrition panel covered the back. Perfect size after some work. The stupid part here was that when I covered the back, it made contact with all of the smart card pins. At the time I thought two things:
1. Does this tin really conduct? Nah, probrobly not.
2. Pfft, whats the worst that can happen?

I started it up, everything went as normal exept the GS did not start. Of course my GS doesnt start 75% of the time, so I tried again, but this time my N64 light did not come on. Crap. I frantically replaced the GS with another cartridge. No start. Crap. I popped out the power adptor, the cart, blew on it as in my mind that magically solves everything. Tried Again, didnt start. Crap. I stuck a screwdriver in the cart reader to discharge any possble voltage, didnt work either. I was about to take the thing apart, but it has those wierd screws, so I went through my ritual of taking everything you can take apart first, then try the screws. As I lifted the expansion pack bay, I realized something. Jumper Pak. I went through two bags of many electronics adaptors searching, and found what I was looking for. My old Jumper Pak, the original, I had kept it for god knows why after I replaced it with the Expansion Pak. I took out the expansion pak, but stuck my scredriver in to discahrge any voltage again. I noticed two of the pins were darker than the others, and I became suspicious. I still replaced the Expansion pak with the Jumper Pak. It started. Yes. Then I replaced the Jumper Pak back with the Expansion Pak, still started. Yes.

My N64 is now pretty old and tired, but I have had close calls where it doesn't start before. By now, my carts connectors are dirty and burnt, my N64s cart readers connectors are dirty and burnt, and now ... my jumper pak connectors are dirty and burnt. But it still starts. At this point, I believe my N64 is a Baron Samedi, it will never die. Smile

Note: It would appear GE Master has put on some curse filters. I had to downgrade a certain word used at many intervals to Crap. Crap. Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't try to mod your Gameshark into an Altoids can, unless you can make it not conduct.

Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kcghost wrote:
My old Jumper Pak, the original, I had kept it for god knows why after I replaced it with the Expansion Pak. I took out the expansion pak, but stuck my scredriver in to discahrge any voltage again. I noticed two of the pins were darker than the others, and I became suspicious. I still replaced the Expansion pak with the Jumper Pak. It started. Yes. Then I replaced the Jumper Pak back with the Expansion Pak, still started. Yes.

I'm happy for you, and I wish your GS will start again and again, or forever!Very Happy

I'd try your tip to start my GSes.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol... kc's boris n64... its invincible!

hey, line the tin with electrical tape. that should solve it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SiberianSpecialForces
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that story was priceless.

dudeman
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha! That's one lucky moment. I once did nearly the same thing, too. One of my n64's are down because I messed about with the cheat cartriges. Yup, dead and confirmed. Except, I didn't encase the device, I removed the casing, leaving the circuit board, chips, and cartridge slot. I tried to actually rework the AR, time after time. Eventually, the n64 died. I tried regular games, blowing on stuff, expansion pak and jumper, but nothing. One thing I didn't do is reduce the charge because I had no knowledge about that stuff. It's months too late, but my other n64s, one,(a pikachu n64, yuck! but it was a bargain), is still alive since, um... 2000? and another one which has lived since '98 (came with super mario 64). Those two are still alive. They are like still alive and well, and usually work without flaw (though, with PD it did freeze out of the blue, ocassionally).

This might amuse you, my goldeneye cart has a visible scar down Bond's face!

NUS - 006 (EUR)
NUS - NGEP - EUR

Blahblahblah...blahblah.......blahblahblaaaaaaaaah...! (Ok, I'll stop, now!)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My GoldenEye cartridge is a little worse for wear, too.
The front sticker is so worn out and discoloured, that it seriously looks like Pierce Brosnan is the Wolfman, who recently shaved and is growing back stubble all over his face. It's quite scary. There's also an indent in the bridge of his nose, where a hole in the cart is. I should be ashamed. Confused
But it's been my game of choice for years, so I won't replace it.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Maxout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've kept mine in pretty good condition and it runs 90 percent of the time.

*dashes like mad*

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: