ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Chasms: To Die, or Not To Die...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When we added the feature in certain GE stages I don't think it caused any horrible gameplay problems. Granted, PD's native support for it is a little different, but it's a natural sort of support.

You might as well go with it. Besides, GE is more liberal about walkways having guardrails, so there really aren't that many opportunities to even make ledges.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. The places where an unprotected ledge that leads into a chasm are so few and far between, not to mention simple enough to evade, that it isn't going to have an overbearing effect on how a level plays out. It's kind of just there, as an added feature, eliminating unnecessary barriers the original game possessed.

I think the idea of death chasms being used in a level like Complex bothers those who hold it up to such an iconic status. It's well known to be a favourite of GE players - maybe even the top rated overall. This may be the first time ever (in any game or mod that has included the map) where falling over a walkway that doesn't have railings could allow you or your opponents to die. It also does create a nifty shortcut to let you leap from the upper half of the spiral ramp to the bottom of it, instead of needing to navigate the whole structure.

And by the way, Sims are a lot smarter about moving around these kinds of areas than you might think. So long as you set the clipping up properly, and adjust the AI path network accordingly, they can easily avoid going over the edge. It usually takes some bullets or a well timed punch to send them flying off.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dylan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'm not really a fan of releasing yet another patch, just for one level (at this time). The cloudless version is just an option for people to use if they're having issues rendering the sky on emulators with certain plugins. It can look really awful and distracting, which you definitely don't want when you're trying to focus on your opponents.

You could release the BG and Clipping for people to test it out and see if it's a good or bad edition to the game and determine weather or not it should be included in the next patch. Something like a public beta test or a trial run if you will.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's not a bad call. I might throw all the new Complex files into Patch 5b and let people try it out. Honestly, I'm still thinking about having the falls, even if players are against it. If the original game had them but GEX didn't, it'd seem weird or wrong in some way. It's all psychological. Trying to limit ourselves to exactly how GE007 played will only prevent us from reaching the mod's full potential.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BINGO! Wreck, I'm with you on this completely. If you start getting lots of negative feedback towards it after a long while then afterwards you can remove them. Still though, I believe they add a more REALISTIC approach to the mod and uses more of what the updated GE engine has to offer. Why not use it to its full potential I say.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
That's not a bad call. I might throw all the new Complex files into Patch 5b and let people try it out. Honestly, I'm still thinking about having the falls, even if players are against it. If the original game had them but GEX didn't, it'd seem weird or wrong in some way. It's all psychological. Trying to limit ourselves to exactly how GE007 played will only prevent us from reaching the mod's full potential.

It is a good idea to include falling in a map or two, in release 0.5c, and see from the feedback whether or not us fans prefer the falling or the invisible walls. Like many of us, I lean towards falling (so to speak Wink ), but I'd be glad to try it first, before saying for definite.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, once you guys have had a few matches in Complex and Aztec, be sure to post your feelings on the death chasms. I think you'll find that it adds a lot to Aztec. Hopping over the openings not only lets you get around quicker, it's also pretty cool to do in the middle of a fire fight. The drops aren't as present in Complex. The one in the middle of the spiral ramp is completely avoidable, but fun to jump down from the top to bottom. It's the V-ramp area that may suck in some bodies once in a while.

Dylan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found that I liked the chasms in the Complex more than I thought I would. It adds a whole new element to the level. I think it'd be good to keep them in Very Happy

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My computer exploded (literally) I can't test it, but we almost need a poll to gauge response! Very Happy

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have been playing the recent patch a bunch lately and I honestly have no liking for the complex death chasms. I am sure I will get used to it if it is implemented in future releases, but I thought I would just post my 2 cents just in case there was still contemplation.

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

0lllllo here

there is 3 possible solutions, Excluding single player mode

For gamers like Oldyz & I, that only care to battle other human players, chasms are just another thing that one has to be aware of during battle,.
you can use ithem to your advantage, or you can avoid them.

so my first choice would be to have all artificial barriers removed, in the case of pits that are non-lethal, add some climbing clipping to one of the walls to enable an escape or if its a pit that cannot be exited add the poison tiles to have the player eventually die. OF COURSE - during main missions you can also just abort and try again.

That said the second solution would be for gamers who like playing with SIMs -
if the paths or behaviors cannot function well, some barriers have to be left in place, some chasms will exist ONLY if they are not troublesome to the robotic buddies.

the 3rd would be to avoid all trouble and program the barriers all over the place for those who like that.

in the end i think we are looking at 2 versions of the patches -
Or in the next release , just include the project files, and people can edit the changes themselves.

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For 2 years GEX has been released with no barriers on complex and there hasnt been an uproar about it.

I really like the freedom, even if it is to my doom - if your quick enough you can jump back up.

Wreck already mentioned that sims are smart and dont fall, I have to say that having played GEX since this was implemented I have found this to be correct.
Also, PD complex had no barriers, in many respects I prefere PDs version, it had slightly more areas and had a path under the spiral.

One thing that stands out to me, falling off the catwalks isn't "More realistic" - its just freedom to choose.
Realistically you would hurt yourself falling off those while running with guns and ammo.
PD (as far as I know) doesnt implement partial damage falling, that was a feature of other games, but that would be my only suggestion with death after falling 10m (aprox 3.5 floors).

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't currently plan to have any death chasms in the mission campaign, with only some VR levels making use of them. They are generally easy enough to avoid, if you don't like them. Unless you're being blasted by an opponent and get sent over the edge, you can navigate around them without issue. It's more a mental thing to remember, as players may be inclined to strafe in order to move more quickly, and forget there is no longer an invisible barrier to prevent them from going over.

Anyone is capable of extracting the level files and editing the clipping tiles for their own custom ROM. Chasms, no chasms, some chasms. Totally up to them to choose once they get their hands on a patched ROM.

I seem to recall some time where partial damage does occur from a higher fall, but can't say exactly where. Think may be Skedar Ruins in mission campaign?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: