ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GEX 5B Official Patch Released! @ 03-01-13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding the knives, I'd prefer it if they stuck in the walls and scenery, especially since it's then easier to pick them up. I'm not a huge fan of throwing knives, though I do occasionally throw them into the mix in PD, but I do think that one of their plus points is that they can be picked up (having already been thrown) again.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, In case you overlooked it (probably not) but the grenades function says 5-second fuse, you might want to change that number to 4. Also don't forget the proximity mine detonation time I mentioned on page 12.
Quote:
I never really took into consideration the time it takes for the Proximity mine to detonate when you set a mine next to your enemy and how long it takes to blow up on them until now. After testing it on GE:X and GE007 I placed my opponent near a wall and planted a proximity mine next to my opponent near the wall. In GE:X the proximity mine took 5 seconds to detonate and on GE007 with the same procedure took about 3 seconds to detonate. Not sure if you want to look into this yourself Wreck, but I believe you will see the same results as I did. I figure you might as well look into every little detail on the mines now before releasing this patch. Looks like Zoinkity's statistics on the detonation times there are really accurate. Can you change this setting for the proximity mines too? After all, I think the proximities should have a shorter fuse than the timed mines since they are supposed to instantly detonate on contact. It only makes perfect sense that they do. They are not timed.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I already made sure to update the grenade's function name and description after making the change to the timer. Don't want people thinking they have five seconds instead of only four. That'd be one heck of a factory recall. Razz

I'll take a look at the proximity mine timer. There is a timer set in the function block, though I thought it was just for when it detonates. Perhaps the one on the proxies is for activation instead.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD should have two: a short one for when it activates (same as GE) and a cookout one that explodes mines after several minutes. GE doesn't clear them out that way--at least under NTSC--but being a terrifying abuser of mines in a family of terrible abusers of mines I can assure you those timers exist for a very good reason. This might not necessarily be an attribute of the object so much as the temporary object list cleaning itself up.

In GE, remote mines technically have an activation timer but the timer is not read. Don't know about PAL, but verified remotes completely ignore it under both NTSC versions.
Also want to say not every copy of the instruction booklet mentions you can detonate them by smashing A+B ;*) Take it there was a fan of them at Rare.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great to hear that Grenades' name and description are updated. Glad to hear that proximities are being looked into. I've been playing with sims and teams sometimes I attach a proximity to a wall and the sims walk by them without going off but once I walk near them BOOM I'm a goner. I wonder why that is. Maybe it's a glitch on rare's part.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so the activation timer for the proximity mines is stored inside the function block. In PD, they have it set to 4 seconds. Here's the thing, though. GoldenEye uses, as Zoinkity pointed out, different timers for missions and multiplayer. The mission campaign goes to 5 seconds, while multiplayer is only 3 ticks. So, do we have a nice little compromise of 4? That's what it appears Rareware did for Perfect Dark's timed devices. Seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to follow their lead. That also means the timed mines would go back to 4 seconds instead of the now 5. What do you guys think?

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess, yeah. 5 seconds is too long in my opinion. It takes forever to detonate. So yeah I'm cool with 4 secs for proximity and timed mines. Maybe you can leave 5 seconds for the mission campaign only?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately it would appear as though PD did away with having different timers in missions and multi, so they share the same setting. I would imagine this is why Rare set the timers to 4 seconds, since it's inbetween the 3 to 5 ticks from GoldenEye. We can't have it be 5 in missions and 3 in VR mode, so the best thing to do would be to make it 4 seconds. It's our happy medium.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well since they got rid of the different timer in-between game modes we might as well go with the medium 4. You have my approval. Hopefully everyone else' as well. Oh by the way, I have the original Versus Book strategy guide for Perfect Dark that I brought with the game back in 2000 and it says the timed mines have a 4.5 second detonate time from the time they leave your hands. For Proximity Mines, it says they have a 4.5 second delay until the mine actually goes active and begins detecting for proximity. However, there is no mention of Remote mines having any kind of timer but that they do have that special feature from GE where if you press A+B at the same time you get an instant detonation trick. It also says all three Mines have 15-20 foot throwing range. Proximity and Timed mines both have a Rate of Fire 1.2 FPS and Remote mines have 0.9 fps. These are just statistics from PD strategy guide but please nothing more than 4 seconds for both mines detonation times. Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, I suppose I can understand why they might think that there is a 4.5 second timer on them, if you start counting from the moment you press the trigger button. The value the mines use in their function block (0xF0) is equal to 4 seconds, though. I'll put the timed type back to that number, and keep the proxies the way they are.

As far as I can tell, the counter for remote mines has no affect. You can detonate them the moment you toss one, by using the A+B quick trick. Perhaps the value is ignored, since I don't think it's used for the delay between set detonation (one set is six mines).

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I usually count the detonations right after I hear the attachment sound and get about 4.5 to 5 second count. In my personal opinion, I feel that Proximities should detonate faster than a timed mine since they are detecting for proximity (as the book says) which is a different situation than a timed mine's timer. Truthfully, the solution for the 4 second timer for both mine types is the way to go as they always shared the same detonation times in both games (GE 3 seconds for Proxi. and Timed, PD 4.5/5 seconds for Proxi. and Timed).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The monitor rack in Bunker i/ii is fully functional in GEX!

SubDrag's Editor was able to auto-port a good "tv_holder" model, and my tests with the level setup block got the items all linked together. However, the monitors were way out of position. After some dissection, Sub found that the issue was with the XYZ coodinates in the "tv1" model file, which was putting them in the wrong spot. Rescaling them to 1.0 (instead of 0.1) set them really close to where they were supposed to be. We found that nulling out the coordinates completely put the monitors to their appropriate locations. The functionality is all still there. You can shoot one off at a time, or destroy the rack and let them all fall off at once. It's all made invincible in VR mode, though. Can't have tvs laying about in the middle of the floor with players and Sims running around.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW now that is amazing! Hopefully characters can lose health when shooting at them from underneath.
Wreck would it be possible to speed up the water flow animation a bit in Caverns? I hadn't noticed there was animation set for it until I read about it. Maybe try to possibly match the speed from the original?

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome , question though? why not leave them in Vr? Lag? Imagine shooting the ceiling in a firefight and monitors falling on your opponent, just a little more complexity in gameplay.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, having things lying around the level isn't a bad thing. Do they cause hinderance to players/sims at all or can you just run straight through/over them?

I've always personally liked environmental hazards as I feel it really adds depth to a game, which peaked in about the Quake and UT99 days and has pretty much fallen to the wayside now days where you've got to really go out of your way to even jump off something in games. Although it does become a bit of a single use environmental hazard...but in saying that we could do something similar to the glass in GE which respawns after a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: