ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Has anyone tested the rom with the Ouya N64 emulator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Has anyone tested the rom with the Ouya N64 emulator? Reply with quote Back to top

I am wondering if this would work. Thanks.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: DO NOT BUY THIS POS Reply with quote Back to top

Dewd there are MILLIONS of people that never received their units AND it has hundreds of ridiculous issues. Download PJ64 and run it on your pc

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah...it was such a shame that the worlds first foray into "new age console gaming" should have flopped like that. I had so much hope (as a developer) for the OUYA but they just did really really obvious things totally wrong Sad

Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not everyone enjoys sitting at a desk, playing console games on a PC with a mouse and keyboard... I prefer sitting on a comfortable couch or recliner, with a wireless controller and a flat screen HDTV... and the roms on Ouya are in HD.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, I don't know how it works on the Ouya. If you find out, then let us know please, but I wouldn't expect too much, as current N64 emulators on the PC are glitchy, sadly. Cen64 (cen64.com) promises to be fully compatible, but will need a powerful PC, so it might not run on a Ouya (I've no idea of the console's specs) but even if not, the technical things that Cen64 explains (as otherwise the N64 still has undocumented parts) might make it possible to make the current emulators better and more compatible, and lead to new emulators that run on slower machines.

Trippy_Hippie wrote:
Not everyone enjoys sitting at a desk, playing console games on a PC with a mouse and keyboard... I prefer sitting on a comfortable couch or recliner, with a wireless controller and a flat screen HDTV... and the roms on Ouya are in HD.

I bought an Everdrive 64 (a backup cartridge that allows you to play roms files on a real N64) so I could play Goldeneye X, and I really would recommend that. You lose the higher resolution of an emulator, plus you also lose the other emulator benefits (snapshot load/saving, on-line abilities, texture pack support, ect), but being a real N64, it plays the games wth total accuracy, and the ED64 also plays roms from all regions, as long as your TV can display them.

http://micro-64.com/features/everdrive64.shtml

Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just ordered my Ouya on Amazon.com the other day, waiting for it to arrive, but as soon as I get it, I'll test out the emulator(it is Mupen64 BTW) with Goldeneye X... most games I have seen on Youtube work pretty good, you just have to fiddle around with the 3 video plugin options, and see which one plays best, there are a few graphical hiccups here and there, but nothing that seems to break gameplay from what I have seen so far, and I haven't seen anyone playing Perfect Dark on the emulator yet... Goldeneye has a some bad level graphics in multiplayer, like I saw the walls in The Temple bugging out, and grenade launcer smoke all buggy, but that was about it.

I know about the Everdrive 64 and have considered getting one... but I am on the thrifty side, and would rather pay 100 bucks, to get something with multiple emulators, and be able to mess around with APKs as well, and the specs for the Ouya seem decent, it can run a sideloaded DS emulator(DraStic) without any bad frame drops, but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything past PS1 emulation besides the sideloaded DS emulator.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Authentic or nothing.. phones = nothing

My two cent

Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It might not be the real deal, but I'll say one more thing, you can plug this N64 USB device into it, and use the real N64 controllers, and map the buttons.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Adapter-Nintendo-Controller-Converter-64/dp/B003ZKCFDC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1394241829&sr=8-11&keywords=n64+usb

Someone on Youtube tested it, and that is the only N64 USB device that works at the moment.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be interested to see what sort of success you get with the OUYA - from the system specs I'm not sure how well it'll go with some of the more taxing situations but don't see why it shouldn't give a pretty good play Smile I haven't ever really had much success with connecting the N64 controllers to PC however - every time I've tried they've always just felt a little "off" if you get me.

We frequently play the original N64 with a Doctor64 that I brought years ago (for modified games) and often rock it out on emulator with a high definition TV (plus the Logitech controllers work a dream with GE and PD and Mario, and Mario Kart and...actually anything come to think of it).

I'm all about the fun at the end of the day (despite what purists might say) so keep us informed! Very Happy

Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got the Ouya today, I'll put a link at the bottom with gameplay footage. Goldeneye X is the first rom I tested, and it worked flawlessly, I did not have to change any video plugins, I only had to bring the resolution down a bit, because it was causing some frame skipping, but it plays fine and looks great on an HDTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xlPVqKJbV0

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the video. GEX on the Ouya doesn't look bad at all. A little jerky at times, but hopefully that will be fixed as the emulator is improved, and it's clearly playable now.

Plus you can play the Mario 64 game hacks on an emulator, which you can't on a real N64 - at the moment they won't work with real N64 hardware Crying or Very sad

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gee - that's amazingly sharp - much better performance than I'd expected from the OUYA running emulators actually (given that emulators sometimes are really taxing). Keep it coming! This stuff is seriously cool! Very Happy

Trippy_Hippie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think the problem is the higher resolution, and video plugin, it seems to be hit or miss with most roms, I thought Star Fox was going pretty well the other night, then I got to the space level with the asteroids, and there was a lot of jerkyness and got worse as the level progressed, and I couldn't even tell what I was doing anymore, I would push a button and it would be like a 7 second delay... maybe I gotta lower the resolution for certain games... Goldeneye was another one, it worked fine when I was playing through some of the single player levels for the first time, and I had my sister and brother-in-law over the other night, and while playing the Facility again(which I already beat and it played perfectly the first time), I got to the boiler room, and much screen jerking started. I haven't been testing out the 64 roms too much, I sideloaded the DrasTic DS Emulator(it works incredibly well, very fast), and got addicted to playing Pokemon, I'll eventually get around to playing more though. The Ouya has 8GB, and you got about 5GBs after you install the first update, so plenty of space for roms and emulators, and you can use an external drive for more space.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually that sounds like a classic case of a programme memory leaking - in this case it'd be the emulator and it's probably a bug that's experienced by everyone. I don't know what would fix it in your case...but I do know it's something that's a common problem everywhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: