ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Custom Character Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmegaCop13
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Custom Character Question Reply with quote Back to top

What program do they use to create character models for Perfect Dark. Because I need to know so information for me to create a US Army Soldier Character Model for a Perfect Dark Mod Project I'm working on. What program should I use?

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess they didn't use any commercial program from back then or that you could find today. GoldenEye models were done with a SGI Onyx that was worth $250,000 if I recall correctly.

If you want to modify the models in a rom and play them in an emulator or the real hardware just like other Goldeneye and Perfect Dark mods, then you can use any modeller you are familiar with that exports to OBJ format. Then the Editor will convert the OBJ to GE and PD files format.

But I have to warn you that character models are one of the things that haven't been fully figured out yet, so if you change the polygons in the model you'll probably break something.
I'm afraid the best you can do is a texture replacement. Choose the model that is closest to want you want, look in Editor what textures it uses and edit them.

I hope that

OmegaCop13
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If i replace textures, it's gonna end up messing up another character's texture.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's being worked on - but I'm not 100% on that. I did pay it a bit of attention a while ago without much success.

Is the emulator texture replacement tool still around? I've always found that handy for rapid prototyping of textures without having to do builds Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are ways to avoid accidentally affecting another character model when you replace a texture, but that usually means you have to change the image ID's in the file manually.

You'd put your custom body texture into a different slot, one that you are sure won't mess with anything else. Then, you'd open up the character model file "CnameZ.bin" in a Hex Editor. Search up the texture number you are replacing, and change each instance of it to the new ID. After saving, inject the modified body file into your ROM that has the good textures in it. That should do the trick.

Things like hands or shoes are more commonly shared, so those are the main ones to be cautious of.

I always use Photoshop to work on custom textures.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

OmegaCop13
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
There are ways to avoid accidentally affecting another character model when you replace a texture, but that usually means you have to change the image ID's in the file manually.

You'd put your custom body texture into a different slot, one that you are sure won't mess with anything else. Then, you'd open up the character model file "CnameZ.bin" in a Hex Editor. Search up the texture number you are replacing, and change each instance of it to the new ID. After saving, inject the modified body file into your ROM that has the good textures in it. That should do the trick.

Things like hands or shoes are more commonly shared, so those are the main ones to be cautious of.

I always use Photoshop to work on custom textures.

I'm not good with any of all that. I'm still kind of a beginner and I need tutoring with that.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PM Subdrag. He can probably point you to something that will get you started. Not really anything on vault currently that gets deep into it. I'd check with him bro.

OmegaCop13
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: