ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Design oversights from GE I think should be fixed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Design oversights from GE I think should be fixed Reply with quote Back to top

I know this may be a long request, but bear with me.

The folder icon for Depot shows a silo-like structure connected to the large pipe that is supported by pillars.

This is not the case in game-play, as it appears to be not be visible due to a bug. Making the pipe oddly connected to nothing.

Facility: Leftover wall textures.

Some of the supports in the map uses an older texture from a beta version of the game. Which was most likely an oversight.

Removal of the texture and replacement with the later version is overall better for consistency, and saves graphic memory by removing a texture no-one would probably notice.

We all probably know this. But the gap at the end of Streets is kinda embarrassing, and should be fixed. Maybe add a door-like texture?

Jungle bridge on folder icon.

The Jungle folder icon appears to be an older layout design with a very odd looking bridge design. Maybe add a picture of the current design for consistency reasons?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your post!

The silos do still exist in Depot, but the map already runs at a slower rate than most, due to how much is being rendered at one time. With the way many of the buildings are designed, the portals at the doors can't be turned off when doors are closed. It cuts off parts of the outside face, or inside walls. It's kind of a mess. And with the portals always being on, it uses more memory. Drawing all the extra silos, which I think there were four, would just add even more to process. I imagine that's why Rare, at the last moment, decided to kill all visibility to them.

I have also noticed the different wall textures in Facility, but I haven't ever really given them much thought. Some people might even prefer to keep it the way it is, since it's just one of the little things that remind us of earlier beta images. And that texture may be in use for something that by all rights should have it, so you wouldn't shave off one image (which isn't that much, anyway) in that case.

Yes, the end of Streets is a bit silly. There's a door object, very similar to the gate wall behind you at the start of Depot, which will go in that place. No more abyss in St. Petersburg.

For GE-X, you may have seen the mission select images. A few have been changed from GE007, since the original game displayed areas or architecture that was only present in earlier builds. Stages such as Archives and Jungle have new angles, as it was impossible to recreate the old shot for different reasons.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm gonna fix those facility white texture at the end of level for the rom I'll play GEX with.
That white texture cannot be unseen and it bother me too ^^

But you wouldn't gain anything because that texture is showed anyway inside the toilet cabins, and they it looks right there.

Quote:
But the gap at the end of Streets is kinda embarrassing

Yeah, totally agree. I wonder how they leaved it like that.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any chance in considering adding a messhall in facility just like in the Movie? You know the one that has a little window overlooking it from the first room on the right after you exit through the stairs?

I was thinking since now the perfect dark engine allows guards to sit this could be used as a reason to be stealthier than usual and I imagine it would be pretty cool to go through the cafeteria door startle them and mow them down.

Yeah probably means a significant modification to the hallway that runs through the back, so it would not just be an extension

Obviously you guys have much higher priorities but im just kicking the Idea to see what you think.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If your going down that road then you make the room at the end a kitchen and also the lighting in the first room is wrong as in movie it was dark and filled with shelves.

The other problem is the loop-round corridor would not exist.
What Rare did was to make it a fun multi and single map for guards to have 2 ways round to you.
Now, I suppose you could have the canteen a through-canteen or move the corridor behind it, but would a building really be disigned so?

Its really the kind of thing for GESource or a GEX-Movie mod later.

Trev

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well the reason would be not so much for it to be movie accurate, but to take advantage of the PD engine allowing guards to sit and give the corridor a real purpose and the level a tad more flavor.

It would not be a heavy modification, the corridor would still exist, it would really be an extension as you can see

as you can see from the movie screenshot,

messhall can be part of the corridor as it is very possible from what little is seen on screen anyway.

And It does not have to be fancy, just a couple of chairs and tables.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sitting is just an animation. Drawing up a short action block to keep a character in a sitting state and then activate the rest of the animation to let them stand should be trivial at this point.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh gotcha, I didn't know that part of the animation hadn't been cracked at this point. Well, maybe for the future.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so I have been editing the Facility background file the last few days (started with adding Runway docking bay). Does anyone know where all the beta white wall textures are? I have found 6 rooms with them, and fixed five so far. The other is in the big lab, with the four work stations. The rest were all in hallways. If can get a list, or pics, may help find any might be missing.

I also removed that weird floating piece of the other conveyor belt that goes into the wall in the bottling room. There were also a few weird things being drawn in doorways closer to the start of the map. Not sure you could ever see when playing. Three of the blue metal frames that hold glass in the lab area which were designed flat, have been altered to be pointed like the others. This seems to have fixed an issue with portals in PD.

The vent start area has also been extended to three squares, instead of just one. This gives room for P2 to start in coop, and should help your Sim partner. It may need to be made even bigger, like 3x3 squares, to ensure more bodies can fit.

If you know of anything else odd, incorrect or out of place, let me know.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@G14Classified

Maybe that could also be an extra room in Multiplayer, since the facility is pretty small if you have a-lot of bots inside it.

Actually, why does the facility still have the back and front areas? Wouldn't make sense to merge the maps together for multiplayer? Or is there too many textures/polys for the N64 to handle?

Also never noticed the pipes there clip through the room. (Or maybe it's me?) I assume they deload when you enter that room? So you'd never see it like that when you play the actual game.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the portal design is the ability to have room on room (like the build engine). If you view the level with all portals on in the editor, you can see the toilets clipping through the hall below. A good showcase of this engine feature is the map Paradox by timeh1337 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWBki8JhE1s

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They ended up utilizing that vent in PD's Felicity as an alternate way out of the vents. So if someone is waiting to gun you down in the bathroom, you could jump down that shaft to avoid sure death. I also believe Zoinkity did the same in a patch for GE at one point.

Been adding some new lights to Facility. Got plenty more to put in, but so far it's been going well. Trying to mimic what Rare did, as far as light fixture sizes and placement goes, as closely as possible. Some question marks in a few rooms, so those might wait until later.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is sorta redundant and dumb, but I was always displeased that the KF7 had no stock, yet the AR33 and Sniper did.

I dunno if it's even useful in GE:X, but I decided to make a stocked KF7 for the mod.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Filler, You'll be happy to know that Goldfinger has a stock (AK-47 original as oposed to AKS-47/Type56s used in GE)

I litterally cant wait for screenshots of facility with lights. it will truly make it beutifull

Trev

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Question. With all these new and improved changes for Facility regarding lights, 3x3 vent space, lab stations, etc. will they effect their VR counterparts as well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: