ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Amberdexterius controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Amberdexterius controller Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so I've always hated the fantastic grape controllers and the soldering iron has to go back to work next week so decided I'd destroy a few. Essentially wiring over an extra pair of buttons turned out to be pretty easy but things don't quite fit yet so the shell will need a little more work to get it running clean.

Also: can you believe that the purple controllers smell like grape when you're drilling or burning them?

Edit: you can probably guess I can't get that image stuff going...

Last edited by MRKane on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha that's pretty cool.
I could actually use the controller properly with that hehehe.

Im pretty used to crossing my hand for racing games where I have my left hand on the top of the controller with my thumb resting on the A button.

Four GE I can quickly use either my left/right thumb or trigger finger to open doors.

I hate how all controllers force you to use your LEFT hand for dextrous control. I have never understood this concept... I am RIGHT handed and have the greatest control with my RIGHT hand, yet all console controllers are LEFT thumbed???
When someone makes a controller for the right hand with buttons on the left its called a LEFT handed controller... What the hell???

At least Flight Joysticks are right handed.

Anyway, gripe over, pretty cool stuff.
Odd that plastic smells like grapes, they must be full of esters.

Trev

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kane that's nothin just no spaces need to keep the brackets right next to URL

What a beaute

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for the heads up on how to post the image mistamontiel! Turns out it was because the url was "incomplete" and needed "image.jpg" on the end of it before it'd display.

That out of the way will post another photo when I have a crack at properly embedding the buttons using the housing from a different controller, and am seriously considering making one out of the grey controller I hate the purple ones so much...

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Naturally forgot the bumpers. This is especially critical for the likes of Mario Kart but are there many other games that are specifically right handed and have different controls on the bumpers? I can't think of many. Am busy machining out a neater controller with slides for the buttons etc - can post pictures of process if anyone wants.

Also: Oddly enough the grey one smelt like grapes also when it was cut up. I cringe at how sickening the factory that made them would have been!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know you're supposed to use the Z-trigger with your left index finger, but for some reason I tend to use my right index more often. It seems like it'd be less comfortable, and it probably is, yet it somehow comes naturally. Maybe since I'm right handed and would fire a weapon that way.

The N64 controller is one of my favourites. Great size, plenty of buttons, and my beloved C-buttons! Way better than a second analog stick, in my opinion. Might catch some flack for that comment. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like the C button too. But it would have been great for them to be analogic, like the one on the PS2.
That way I could still walk slowly even playing 1.2. I like to walk in games quite often.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know I've always wondered about pressure sensitive c-buttons. It makes a lot of sense in my opinion, although there's no way I can see to support it on this controller board.

The first version of this controller used a piece of board from another one (broken) to duplicate the buttons as I wanted to keep the N64 "feel" to the controller, and I'm experimenting with the miniature switches wired directly to the chip for V2 although that's got it's own set of issues. I'm quickly learning that the system itself is pretty durable and you could soldier blindfolded and still come out with pretty good results.

I should also try seeing if the sensitivity of the GameCube stick can be brought down with a resistor...

As for controllers in general - the N64 has always been my favourite, and as a child I use to think "wouldn't it be cool if a game came out that had you switching grips to switch play styles!!" The closest one to this was Sin and Punishment, but I feel it's a massive wasted opportunity for the console in general.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So a wee quick update for this.

Version 2 of my controller setup had the buttons wired directly into the chip on the controller itself so I could avoid all of the branching, but it turns out that things are not as they'd seem with the power levels being different across the board, and some of the jumper areas not actually being jumpers but feeds to smaller sub-sections. Anyway: I kinda fried the chip so that the controller would press start and sometimes Z whenever any button was pressed.

Also the feel of the microbuttons isn't as pleasant as the standard N64 ones so I'd have to suggest that if anyone does wish to do this they just jumper some pads to the other side of the board Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: