ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Dam [Map]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olllo here:

is the problem with falling death still there at the end of the level?
if it has not been resolved , the moonjump code has a line or 2 that seem to control how long you "fall" before dying -

controlling this should be better than invisible ramps or some other change

Last edited by oldyz on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really see where trees would fit into Dam? I mean, the entire ground is cement. You usually don't see too many large plants growing out of concrete. Maybe some weeds slithering out from between a crack, but not much else.

There's also only so many places where we can utilize weather elements. I never really pictured using anything in Dam. Actually, I think of it as more of a clear, blue sky. Imagine a bright sun up there shining down. Isn't it peaceful? Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

any trees in the movie?
only seen it 2 times so i don't remember- the only trees i remember is from the activisionised version of goldeneye.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm mainly toying around with ideas here. As for the jump off the end - I think I'll have to use a lift there so that the player doesn't get killed. I'm also still wondering if we should all get together and do or try to arrange some voice-overs! Intro/outro movies anyone?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Voice overs are an absolute must. I've started typing out many of the levels into screenplay format. It uses the original game dialogue (with some minor adjustments to help make things sound better when spoken), a few extra lines for added realism and filler, plus some additional "Bond Narratives" that add both fun and hints to the missions. Just like how Joanna talks to herself the odd time in PD.

For the bungee jump, I almost thought it might be a decent idea to put a swinging grate door there. That way, when you open the door, the level ends. Think the end of dD Defection. It ends as soon as the player opens the elevator doors. It'd solve the issue of falling to your death, without doing anything too complex in the process. Plus, in reality, they'd have something there to help prevent people from dropping off.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wreck, you have given me an idea about what you think of the defection dD level, I thought best in level G5 which I think should not open doors to complete the final objective. with respect to the lifts I best purportedly in a mechanics as the level Base Air Force One staircase, but invisible course in order to finjir the free fall, if it came to this last point opened that study the mechanical staircase inclination

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alphas are getting done...we're about half way there with only the "shadows" left to get perfect...

I really like the idea of blasting off the bolts from the entrance into the bottom of the Dam, but if I can't find an easy way - it'll happen like you suggest.

I'll also lend my services to the voice acting as required. I've done a bit in the past and have access to some decent recording equipment - can't do a Brosnan though (wouldn't even try)...always pictured myself as more of a Connery (for reasons of "girls would rather sleep with Connery"). There's got to be someone the community knows who can do a decent Brosnan - does anyone else feel a competition through GoldeneyeVault coming on?!?

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
I'm mainly toying around with ideas here. As for the jump off the end - I think I'll have to use a lift there so that the player doesn't get killed. I'm also still wondering if we should all get together and do or try to arrange some voice-overs! Intro/outro movies anyone?

Wreck wrote:
For the bungee jump, I almost thought it might be a decent idea to put a swinging grate door there. That way, when you open the door, the level ends. Think the end of dD Defection. It ends as soon as the player opens the elevator doors. It'd solve the issue of falling to your death, without doing anything too complex in the process. Plus, in reality, they'd have something there to help prevent people from dropping off.

Gentlemen , gentlemen -
don't mess too much around, try perfect dark's moonjump code with the fall, if the character does not die all that has to be done is use the moonjump code without the "floating" characteristics, this way the threshold spot for ending the level can be kept similar to what the original is

on the other hand, that one rope that its featured in the cinema display for the first level , when JO jumpsout of the jumpship, should look nice if it can be used as Bon'ds Bungee
Bond's bungee is not a double entendre, if you have such impure thoughts you must seek professional help immediately, Ollllo corp. is not responsible for any mental images or similar cognitive phenomena- if you experience any symptoms you can report them to Av. José Vasconcelos No. 202, Col. Condesa, C. P. 06140, México, D. F. or 10903 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20993 for quality control purposes

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried doing a test of having walking clipping in the Dam end and seeing if you die if you walk down it fast? That might be fun to do that shooting the grate at the end.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ollllo here:

Subdrag , you mean Oldyz's craptastic "invisoramp"

oldyz wrote:
about the falling -

if the angled clipping works like those stairs at egyptian at some point pushing forward on the analogue will cause the player to have no contact with the invisible floor, causing an unwanted and lethal freefall - another weird result, you can pull back on the joystick and the "fall" will stop UNLESS an "Ice" value or Slippery floor thingy exists and this causes the stick backtrack command to be less effective (it should look like Bond's bungie is resisting the relentless pull of gravity) *

*I forgot , on the original game once you step off the platform most control is lost - if there is a way to script this loss of strafe, forward , back and only allow the use of the "look" commands (look up down left right)
an slippery slope should work just fine...

again with the gameshark values:
the gameshark method would disable the falling death distance, making the only "injury for falling" aspect useless -
since i would like to see injuries for falling in the game, this goes in direct conflict to the need for realism -

the solution to this tho , is complicated, it would be to make a gameshark code that reduces health when an event is triggered - in the case of PD/GEX - that event would be the grunt sound that characters make when they fall from a high distance -
unfortunately the gameshark codes that are triggered by in-game values/events are so rare Oldyz would not even know how to begin to make such a thing

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bringing up the Dam Thread again to enquire on its progress?

I did a quick search of the forum and found this to be the best place to ask.

I had forgotten about the in-game screenshots in this thread so it seems that Dam was sucessfully imported (though not enabled in the release rom).

I was interested to see what exactly was out of range.

It turns out there are 2 rooms and 7 Vertexes that excede the Z limit.

Click to enlarge

I think that clamping these 7 vertexes to +/- 32767 and removing the 2 rooms (which are not shown in GE anyway?) will not change the look of the level but will make it work.

Also, reading about portals and visibility, these 7 vertexes shouldnt cause too much altering to these files I would think.

How dam ever worked in GE is also a mystery. I was discussing with sub and our conclusion was that dam must use the CPU for floating point precision, however we ran into problems with matrices being on the RCP (The RCP being the problem of 16bit Signed Integer in the first place)
Also, Sub was saying that New levels cannot excede +/-32767 even with 'scaling' so Dam is definatly some special case.
Either something noone has found to date to do with pumping Vertexes through the CPU or something.
Or its a lucky bug... Razz

Note on Coordinate Systems and Big Numbers:
No coordinate component (x, y, z, or w) should ever be greater than 32767.0 or less than -32767.0
The difference between any 2 vertices of a triangle should not have any components greater than 32767.0

The refrence to CPU might be wrong actually... it might be for matrix calculations only, not rendering.

"The RSP uses fixed-point 32-bit multiplies during matrix operations...
In order to avoid fixed-point precision problems, in some cases it may be desirable to compute the matrix in floating point on the N64 CPU and just load it."

Trev

P.S. In regard to Dam having trees, though I think now it would not be a good idea, Dam does have trees.

Last edited by Trevor on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:49 am; edited 4 times in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think we have tried Dam with cuts ad you mentioned, but the problem has always been the special visibility microcode changed in PD, and GEs doesn't work properly in PD. Wreck learned a bit more but don't think we are close to getting that working.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did manage to squeeze it into PD (it just fit) but as Sub said the visibility was a problem, as was my computer (quite literally) exploding. I think Wreck might of got a copy of the files I was working with before it happened but anyone is more than welcome to pickup where I left off if they wish.

One thing I did really stumble with was the water. In PD the visibility is best setup in an ordered grid system (think Carrington Villa) so really we need to edit the Dam map and take it back into the engine with a nicer structure. The next problem there is that doing so drops a lot of information required for the level to work...it's a whole bucket of nasty that one Sad It's also my favourite level so I've a whole potato on my shoulder about it.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quick question before I kick the lid off of this one again - is anyone working on this level for GE:X?

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Quick question before I kick the lid off of this one again - is anyone working on this level for GE:X?

I also asked the same thing

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: