ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 console - DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter in the works
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's gonna be tough in the futur. I have one of the best LCD at upscaling and its only 720p.
Image from N64 is just awful, anyway.
I can't imagine how a 4K screen would display N64 games lol, be it good at upscaling or not.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"The next time I buy a TV, I'm going to have to take my N64 in with me, and if the shop won't allow me to test it, then I'll go elsewhere."

Brilliant, Very Happy Im going to do this too Razz

Yeah, As I said before, my Sharp Aquos 1080p TV seems really good at displaying both PAL and NTSC Signals from the N64.
A friend of mine bought a TV (Panasonic I think) and it cant display NTSC properly, it overloads the red and goes all noisy (static/snow)

The HDMI adapter will solve all these issues which is the biggest reason to get one.

It was wishfull thinking on my part in previous posts to think it was tapping the framebuffer directly, but that really would improve graphics, albeit impossible Razz.

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/1555109

Well if this forum thread is to be believed it appears to tap into the RCP side of the digital to analogue chip so essentially it's what was suspected previously - which is as clean as you can get really.

It's a real shame that there's no way to solve some of the "holy grail" issues such as getting better framerates in a few of the keystone games, but hopefully this graphics card will make Rainbow Roads bearable in 4 player! lol

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

" it appears to tap into the RCP side of the digital to analogue chip "

Errmmm.. yes, as posted before

It connects between the RCP and DAC.

"It's a real shame that there's no way to solve some of the "holy grail" issues such as getting better framerates in a few of the keystone games,"

Yeah, unfortunatly it would require continuing the RAM and RCP overclock tests to hopefully find compatable timings, or a new RCP, CPU and more RAM, however at that point its no longer an N64, unless it remains absolutly binary compatable.

Id still love to be able to bump the ram up for GE NSNA, GEX and GF etc (in other words, mod games)

Trev

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know, come to think of it, there probably is a list or forum on the 'net that's devoted to listing TVs that work with older consoles. There should be - such a list would be invaluable to many gamers.

Does anyone know of such a site/list/forum?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

if not then we could always make one.

What would you have? Quality of 0-5 or just boolene works/doesnt list?

Or I supose a mix e.g.

Sharp Aquos 1080p

Technology - LCD
    - Quality: 3 - Probably about as good as LCD can be. Sales Contrast Ratio is falseified by Active Contrast which darkens the whole screen. This unavoidably dulls any onscreen white.
    SCART - Composit TRUE
    - Quality: 3 Slightly Bright
    SCART - RGB TRUE
    - Quality: 4 Rich Red
    YuV TRUE
    - Quality: Untested
    DSub (PC/RGB) TRUE
    - Quality: 5 Good
    Composit V-L/R TRUE
    - Quality: 4 Good - N64 Connection, No Other Connections to compare on same TV
    Full HD TRUE
    PAL TRUE
    - Quality: 5 - N64 is PAL and works flawlessly
    NTSC TRUE
    - Quality: 5 - NTSC mode Works great, no difference to PAL colour-wise except less res and higher refresh
    Upscale TRUE
    - Quality: 4 N64 looks good Upscaled, just dont watch a 1080p movie first.

Overall Score - 4 (82%)

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Trevor, I didn't realise there was a note about this on the forum - I go through so many that I loose track!

As far as RAM swaps go I've had limited success. The N64 in general doesn't seem to respond well to changing the clock crystal, and there's a good list at assembler of the results. I did at one stage consider overclocking the CPU and downclocking the crystal to see if I could get a faster render speed (like you do on a 2x overclock) but fried the console I was messing with before I got the chance.

I think the idea of a TV list is fantastic! I've got a SONY Bravia and it's actually really good for old games.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So things you stumble across while looking for N64 board details:
http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/

Thoughts?

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Screenshots look good but they have lines accross them...
Only one image seems not to have lines.

I wounder what a hi-res game looks like (Rogue Squadron, Ep1, PD, Indy)

trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading that scanlines can be turned on as a matter of preference (lord knows why one would want scanlines...) it may be something that's optional, although finding myself without a HD TV I'll probably wait for the reviews to come in - not that I don't find the tech really interesting!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: