ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Not Booting Up on Everdrive 64 v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Not Booting Up on Everdrive 64 v3 Reply with quote Back to top

This is odd...

Especially since I had zero problems getting this mod working on my Everdrive. Over the past couple of days, I have been unable to get this working again. I've even gotten a new .rom and patched it with the GoldenEye X patch. The screen will go black and I'll never even get to the copyright logo. It just won't load for whatever reason.

Any idea what could be causing this to happen?
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have 2 guesses.

Your game got corrupted, or you patched a bad dump of PD.

Or

There's a CIC Chip error/incompatibility. This is the same reason Banjo-Tooie and Jet Force had issues being played on Everdrives for awhile.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's possible that my game got corrupted...however, I've deleted the .rom off of my Everdrive and then patched the original .rom with the files. I'll try to delete the save-data for the game when I get home tonight and see if that does the trick.

What's irritating is that the game worked perfected for the longest time! Since I've had my Everdrive (so I've had this working for a few months), so I know it is not an error with the CIC chip. Also, as I said, I patched the new version of the mod using the original .rom that worked originally. This whole thing is very odd.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I patched the new version of the mod using the original .rom that worked originally.

There lies your problem.

You MUST use a fresh PD ROM to patch. You cannot patch over a patch.

Trev

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
Quote:
I patched the new version of the mod using the original .rom that worked originally.

There lies your problem.

You MUST use a fresh PD ROM to patch. You cannot patch over a patch.

Trev

Sorry for the misunderstanding...I meant I used a copy of the original, unpatched Perfect Dark 1.1 .rom that had worked originally to see if I would get the same results, which I did.

I'm under the impression that my save-file got corrupted somehow and that is stopping everything from booting. I'm going to check when I get home later tonight and see if that could be the issue.

Wasn't there an issue regarding the challenges in the original .rom? The last time I played, I beat a majority of the challenges with a partner. Could this have caused the issue?
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only original 1.0 PD roms have those issues. It happened on Warehouse when a Sim went to a specific area. It would fill your save file with garbage data.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The save file for GEX and PD are, if Im not mistaken, now incompatable.
You would be better trying to start over.

If you want to transfer Player data for simulator then you can use the controller pak. (only between GEX versions, to copy a PD file you need to change the rom header and other things)

Trev

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried deleting the save-data on my Everdrive and trying afterwards to no avail. I'm going to try using a new .rom and patching with that. Will post later with results.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Everdrives are silly and read some of the metadata out of the header. This is causing the issue here.

In patch 5b the gameID was changed from "NPDE\x01" to "NX7E\x01". The gameID is used by the Everdrive menu to identify the save type and possibly CIC the game should be using. Minimum save type; pretty sure there's a different method used now for CIC detection.
A layman's fix would be to open the ROM in a hex editor and change the "X7" to "PD" at offset 0x3C in the ROM. In binary that's "5837" to "5044". You can probably override the settings through the menus in some arcane way as well. In the long run getting the ID added to the official menus would be ideal.

Incidentally, a feature of xdelta is that it enforces crc comparison on the source file. Pretty sure it can be overridden from the command line, but generally speaking you will not be able to patch a game with an incorrect file.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ive just thought... Is that why I cant save Sim player data and scenarios?
It must be... but I can create a new Main Player fine and on re-lloading the game it will still exist. Also in the save folder there does exist a save file for GEx.

Ive often thought it was a bug but ill try both changing header again and forcing save type.

Trev

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Official menus do support it. First entry in the table, at 0xF71C8.

Browsing the alternate menu source, the CIC type is derived from a crc32 against the bootstrap so that can't go wrong unless something was editted in the 0x40-0x1000 range. Save types are still based on the middle two chars, but it can also look in the database file for extra entries.
(also, they're missing several CICs)
So, if you're using the alternate menus you're probably going to need to add an entry to the database for it to work correctly. Not seeing it listed.

At any rate forcing the save and CIC should work fine regardless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: