ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Arecibo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_rq
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Arecibo Reply with quote Back to top

[cheers to everyone! having grown up playing Goldeneye and been a bit over at Detstar's site back in the days, I've recently gotten me a new copy of the game after the old one had been lost for years ('borrowed' to a friend). it's been fun to do it all again and read up on all those intricacies that were plain 'mysteries' once. this forum is a very nice place for that, I'm digging the sophistication and general respect.]

one thing that was on my mind much when I replayed the game with recent knowledge was how tacky, in a story-pacing-sense, the whole Cuba mission felt to me. on my Secret Agent or 00 Agent playthrough, I was convinced that Jungle had to be followed by Cradle, even though that meant I had completely forgotten about Control. funnily, my impression now might be additionally influenced by Goldeneye Wii, which I didn't like much, but it probably got that part (and that part only) better: satellite perimeter buildings connecting the jungle with the techy stuff. I have to wonder why that -- the Perimeter -- was cut early or not even approached after it had been in the initial draft for Goldeneye 64. it would seem very natural to me to imply some connectedness to these levels, especially since it's the final mission. instead, they all transition by elevators only, which I tend to find much less effective than say a conveyor belt or a bunker entrance. I do still like the missions (and the elevator), but I don't think they are introduced very well.

a wild and unsubstantiated thought: maybe Caverns started as something of a standalone very early and was then stitched to the ending section. (also, Caverns is pretty on-rail even as it is.) this would mean that Trevelyan oddly running through the whole level was only added later and then partially (as an objective) scrapped again. or something entirely else happened that made the Cuba mission very different from the proposed Arecibo mission.

anyhow, Arecibo/Perimeter is still a mystery to me. it's currently the one place that I would like to see the most, even if it can only ever be recreated from scratch. if anyone made that, I'd have to see it.

on a related but slightly off-topic note: are there any custom levels finished yet that are built completely from scratch and not based on heavily repurposed exisiting maps? I'm thankful for what's been accomplished already, but I do think that (insane) projects like Goldfinger 64 might spawn quite a bit of interest with people like me who have actually only played with Nintendo's regular hardware so far.

thanks for your patience!

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The closest someone has gotten to making Perimeter is creating the entire underside of Arecibo for Cradle.

The project was started by DF Ank1, who released it onto the Vault.
http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=188

But Eternally Aries, one of the project members, decided to take the project, touch it up a bit and fix a few bugs with the setup, as you can see here.
http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=286

I would recommend EA's setup over DF Ank1's, although feel free to try them both out.

Luchador
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A few months ago I noticed that an issue of Nintendo Power has an image of some sort of level that looks like an early version of Jungle or even Perimeter.

http://goldeneyedecoded.blogspot.com/2013/11/goldeneye-007-preview-nintendo-power.html

Second page, top left, there seems to be a path through a jungle that morphs into a wireframe render. The trees look very flat, so perhaps this was from a point in development when Bond didn't have freedom of movement.

This is the best I could make it look:

Could this be a beta Jungle?

_rq
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

interesting stuff!

the backdrop for Cradle looks amazing, that must've been some work. I wouldn't have thought that was feasible.

as for the beta screenshot, I'm unfortunately pretty doubtful. the wireframe and circuity-like walls at least seem to be graphically superimposed judging by the extreme contrast. the structure also doesn't really look walkable in any way. even the jungle part could be from some completely other source -- or is there some detail in it that confirms it's from Goldeneye? I'm not used to see the levels from above, so I'm not sure about that at all, but it doesn't feel quite right.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My Best guess at that magazine artical is that it is a shot of Jungle while they were experimenting with 2d trees before they moved away to tall branchless trees and canopy.

Reason for rare not using transparent intersecting planner trees is that transparent triangles were not programmed to use Z Buffer, in fact the SDK states that Transparent surfaces cannot use the Z Buffer.

I however did find a setting that worked and it is included in the Setup Editor for custom levels.

The wireframe part is simply that they took 2 screenshots of the development model, one solid, one wireframe and then overlayed and removed a portion from each to make the image. It does not mean its fake.

Trev

_rq
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, I suppose that's possible.

I didn't mean to imply that somebody altered this in any way -- however, I think it's also possible that the original authors/layouters of Nintendo Power have just inserted some more or less unrelated graphic(s) here to spice up the text flow. on the other hand, everything else depicted is from Goldeneye; and I don't know anything about Nintendo Power layouts in specific.

were there other comparable wireframe models and composite level designs from the game printed somewhere? my memory is bad on that.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It was a hard work in these times. EA did the most of it. Its really great Smile
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: