ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 PC MOD: Build log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: N64 PC MOD: Build log Reply with quote Back to top

So i have been a member of this site for 7 years and lurking for even longer ( i am amazed i still remember my user name and password )

So i thought it would be fitting to post my build log here before reposting it to other forums ( ie http://linustechtips.com )

Now this is not a " new concept " it has been done before http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nintendo-64-Console-HTPC-Intel-Atom-Nvidia-Ion,11445.html

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/162939-completed-project-n64-pc-a-kaveri-htpc-inside-a-nintendo-64/

Altho my build will be rather different, difficult and take probly alot longer since there will be alot more modifications.

Ill be picking up the rest of my tools tonight and i will start the project this weekend so expect some progress shots on the sunday/monday.

Also i am trying to think what the finished product will be called, any suggestions are welcome.

Build will include:
Intell 1150 chip i5/i3 untill i get the i5
M.2 ssd
8gigs ram/ 2gigs till i buy an 8gig pack

A GTX970/GTX750 ti untill i purchase the mini asus 970............ whhhhhaaaaa??? You might be thinking, but how will you fit a GPU inside a n64......

Well stay tunned in and you will see. ; p

Here's a quick snap of some of the tool, gear, n64 and hardware that ill be tinkering around with.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A good friend of mine was looking at "hiding" a blu ray drive in an empty power supply box that was to be glued into the back of the unit - was to give him a little extra space and also make the N64 look more "whole" so that could be another little bit of space.

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats sort of the plan, the old consoles were well known for there add ons, maybe not the n64 as much altho it did have the n64dd but yea i plan on making a detachable addon on the back of the n64 like the power pack to give me more space Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also spent ages trying to find phillips screws with a similar thread to the N64 ones so that it'd be easier to pull the console apart again (if I needed to) but eventually gave up on it as that too seemed to be a little funny.

Also if you're interested in lighting the front panel: use a heat gun and something that's plastic to lever it off so you don't scratch the emblem. Also beware that there's a little tab on the bottom of it that breaks really easily and if broken light will bleed through at that point. These are two things that were two hard lessons for me!

And greetings to a fellow New Zealander! Smile

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yea even with the " correct" tools i am struggling to get the screws out I still have one problem screw to take out, i need a longer tool to reach one of the screws so got to do a bit of fiddling around with my tool to reach it.

Oh wow another kiwi, im suprized. I remember starting a post years ago to see if there was any Australians or kiwis active on the forums, good to see there is Smile Altho i now live in Perth WA Australia. What part of NZ?

Oh thanks for the tips, i will need to be super carefull then.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm from Dunedin - decided to settle here having done a bit of travelling. Still, the thing that does surprise me is that if you mention the N64 anywhere a conversation quickly happens.

Thinking about that screw - I can't think of which one it could be...perhaps there's some crap down the hole or in the bit?

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ill post a picture tomo and show you, not a big issue but ill work it out.

Yea im from a Farm in western Southland. 40min south of Te Anau

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so i finally managed to get the case apart after a few complications.

After that i did abit of trimming down on the bottom interior to fit the mobo in as low as possible.

After trimming down the bottom half i then needed to do the top half, as you can see it needs a bit of modification To sit down properly.

After all the trimming i could do the cpu fan is slightly to big to fit Sad

So i cut the existing air intake so i could bend it up to fit the cpu fan in.

After a bit of plastic welding and filler/putty had been sanded down to make the existing air intake slightly higher

Cut dow the original controller inputs so i can replace them with usb inputs.

Last edited by madmax386 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so i finally managed to get the case apart after a few complications.

After that i did abit of trimming down on the bottom interior to fit the mobo had to make sure the mobo sits as low as possible.

After trimming down the bottom half i then needed to do the top half, as you can see it needs a bit of modification To sit down properly.

After all the trimming i could do the cpu fan is slightly to big to fit Sad

So i cut the existing air intake so i could bend it up to fit the cpu fan in.

After a bit of plastic welding and filler/putty had been sanded down to make the existing air intake slightly higher

Cut dow the original controller inputs so i can replace them with usb inputs.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you going to fill in the "memory expansion" text along the top or preserve it? I'm loving the pics! Could you post a couple of the mod with the cover off etc so we can all see how it fits! Very Happy

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yup i will fill in an the "memory expansion" text as my ''Memory Expansion Pack'' will be external.

So i have done some more fine tuning/trimming to fit the mobo and components in more comfortably.

Still need to do some plastic welding and general modifications around the back to fit the 24pin connector and pcie cable extension/Riser card when it arrives, also waiting on a short right angle hdmi cable to arrive so i can fit it in the rear as well.

4 Day long weekend this weekend so should get a fair bit done hopefully.

The grey plastic box that will be painted the same as the console is were the gpu will fit, thats another whole project on its own Wink

i will have 3 usb sockets in the front, in controller 2,3,4 but not in controller 1 as i cannot fit a female usb in there due to the Ram.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How have you been going with this? I might say I've a solid interest here as am looking at doing similar except with a Rasberry Pi (considerably smaller).

While I can't make it out from your pictures do you have much of a problem with airflow obstruction inside the small case?

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
How have you been going with this? I might say I've a solid interest here as am looking at doing similar except with a Rasberry Pi (considerably smaller).

While I can't make it out from your pictures do you have much of a problem with airflow obstruction inside the small case?

Oh yes, i came to a few issues and ended up putting that mobo and gpu in a lian li tu100 (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/iXwyZo6Wh3IrABmU6N1RKD-0DWLYfKUfHZO4q4s6yxYSNVUV5WNaG3b5hjwbG8w7GOOyXMHHm6F0XPPd1xAIshrB439vFNNtupSoDgs7=w565-h260-nc )

I will end up funishing this project but with an AMD apu instead, but it wont kick back into life until i have finished my custom water loop project for my main pc RIG.

Altho my setup with my lian li tu100 is going great.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great to hear that it's still progressing! There's a stunning amount of "little issues" when doing something like this and it's fantastic you're posting a record Smile

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
Great to hear that it's still progressing! There's a stunning amount of "little issues" when doing something like this and it's fantastic you're posting a record Smile

Thanks. The project probably wont kick into action for another couple months i would say... the custom water loop and the new InWin 909 case is going to set me back a bit i would say.

But it is still something i will eventually complete. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: