ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

IGN discusses Perfect Dark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Extremist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: IGN discusses Perfect Dark. Reply with quote Back to top

Professional, if a touch short, look back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Du-1aTEII

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's always the battle between GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, regardless of people saying the console had a strong lineup of first-person shooters. Don't hear many talking about Hexen or Quake on the N64, do we?

Yes, Perfect Dark is technically better than GoldenEye... and it should be. It was built on top of GE, and was released by a now more experienced team almost three years later. They had time to improve things, incorporate new ideas, and make use of the Expansion Pak. But even with all the bells and whistles, GoldenEye is still preferred by lots of gamers. The level design, well crafted mission campaign, and the look, sound and feel of being in the Bond universe, all make it a truly great experience. There's a very good reason people have such fond memories of playing it back in the N64 era. Which is "better" overall is a deeply personal choice.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

History of Awesome is a very good show that I discovered recently. They talk not only about videogames that came out that year, but also about movies, comics, TV shows and other stuff.

Perfect Dark was the first game I bought on launch day. It was going to be Zelda Ocarina of Time, but it was sold out when I got to the shop, lol.
I didn't buy videogame magazines, didn't have internet at home at that time and videogames were hardly announced on TV, so my only resources of info were going to the shop and see what games they were selling, my friends that bought videogame magazines and told me about the hot stuff, and the stuff that the Nintendo Club in Spain sent me home.

So I didn't knew about Perfect Dark at all. I remember seeing a couple of small images in someone's magazine and it looked to me like a Dreamcast game. I thought they were bullshots and that the real game wouldn't look like that in the real thing, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Heh, I didn't remember that it was a Rare game.

I don't remember the exact day, but it was like a week before the game was released in Spain. Then a VHS tape from Nintendo Club arrived and I was blown away by what I saw. It really was a perfect game!!

It was late June. Summer just started and I wanted that game so badly that I phoned one of the big department stores to book the game (that's why I couldn't get Ocarina at day one). They told me they were receiving a lot of copies and that booking one wouldn't be necessary. So when the day came, I got up early, took the bus and went to that department store in time for the opening. And it was true, there were dozens of copies in a separated table next to the paydesk. The guy told me I was the second person to purchase Perfect Dark (someone was eager then me! Shocked ).

The game was like the ultimate experience for the N64. Technically stunning, sharp textures, hi-poly models, big and detailed environments, interactive lighting, cinematics, voice acting, surround sound...
The core was GoldenEye, but Rare borrowed from other FPS (secondary function, the slayer visor, the sentry gun, the sensors probably too...) and added things on their own (slow mode, counter operative, the farsight, unlimited multiplayer options...) to make the definitive FPS of that era.

One of these days I have to play Timesplitters. They seem to be the only games that continued the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark legacy.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
It's always the battle between GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, regardless of people saying the console had a strong lineup of first-person shooters. Don't hear many talking about Hexen or Quake on the N64, do we?

True. Whenever anyone in the media brings up Perfect Dark, they *always* talk about Goldeneye, and how PD compares to it. Granted, they are (by far, if you ask me) the best two FPS on the N64 (or on any system, again IMHO), but no one ever compares PD to The World is Not Enough, or Turok 2, or Turok 3.

Quote:

Yes, Perfect Dark is technically better than GoldenEye... and it should be. It was built on top of GE, and was released by a now more experienced team almost three years later. They had time to improve things, incorporate new ideas, and make use of the Expansion Pak. But even with all the bells and whistles, GoldenEye is still preferred by lots of gamers. The level design, well crafted mission campaign, and the look, sound and feel of being in the Bond universe, all make it a truly great experience. There's a very good reason people have such fond memories of playing it back in the N64 era. Which is "better" overall is a deeply personal choice.

Exactly. But anyone who says "Goldeneye" is objectively wrong and therefore very silly!

Just joking! Laughing

Sogun wrote:
...It really was a perfect game!!

That's largely what I thought at the time. And I still think it's closer to being perfect than any other first person shooter, and I've played almost every good FPS on any system (aside from the Mac, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, and maybe some really obscure systems that I've never heard of). Yes it has (sometime big) flaws, and there are always features I'd love to have been included in the game, but the designers/prgrammers attempted so much in this game, and most of it works very well.

Quote:

The game was like the ultimate experience for the N64. Technically stunning, sharp textures, hi-poly models, big and detailed environments, interactive lighting, cinematics, voice acting, surround sound...
The core was GoldenEye, but Rare borrowed from other FPS (secondary function, the slayer visor, the sentry gun, the sensors probably too...) and added things on their own (slow mode, counter operative, the farsight, unlimited multiplayer options...) to make the definitive FPS of that era.

I'd say it's still the definitive FPS, but sadly so few have played it, and any modern player coming to it now would probably complain that it was too hard, didn't help you enough (i.e. no onscreen arrowtelling you where the next objective was), had no jumping (as though a FPS needs a jump function), the characters' mouths don't move in the cutscenes, etc.

What do you mean by 'Sensors', though, please?

Quote:

One of these days I have to play Timesplitters. They seem to be the only games that continued the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark legacy.

You should, especially the last two games. The original Timesplitters (Playstation 2 only) isn't anything special, but it's still fairly enjoyable, but very basic (for example, the single player mode is only a series of simple Retrieve-and-return objectives set inside a sequential run of the multiplayer maps. It's does have a map maker, however, where you can make multiplayer maps, and you can use those maps with the bots if you like.

Timesplitters 2 (PS2, Gamecube, original XBox) is *much* better, and many people consider it to the best FPS of it's generation. If has a proper single playare campaign, a great map maker, and a very configurable and comprehensive multiplayer mode.

Timesplitters 3 (known as Timesplitters: Future Perfect) has (to me) the best single player campaign of the three games, but the multiplayer is not quite as good as TS2's, though it's still superb. The map maker is also better and easier to use in Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

I'd definitely say play TS2 and TS:FP. Play TS1 if you like, but it's not necessary (especially since there's not really any story continuation across the games, as long as you know that in the games' universe, humanity is at war with the 'Timesplitters' who are aliens who can travel through time and want to make humans extinct, so to fight them we have to steal the time crystals from them). Timesplitters: Future Perfect is my favourite cross platform game of the PS2/Gamecube/original XBox generation, and I love TS2 too.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
What do you mean by 'Sensors', though, please?

My bad. I meant 'visors' (x-ray, night vision, infra-red...).
Probably other games did it first, but PD made a very good use of them and the post-processed effects.

Now the cam-spies come to mind. I think they have soooo much potential. Like using the normal camp-spy to activate innacesible switches, or the drug-spy for silent assassination (or combine it with the psychosis. Oh, another great innovation!). Was there a bomb-spy too? And the eye-fish render were gorgeous.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, yeah. The *-Spys were very good and made great use of hardware.

To me, before I played PD, I always thought GE was the best. After playing PD, learning it was built on top of GE I definatly changed my mind on it. But the PD story, while I like it, doesnt have the same grip as Bond, and as Bond was the first game, it always feels like home.

Thats why I cant wait for GEX to be finnished, GEX is really the first time one of my freinds has played 'PD' and liked it, because it was GE. He still gets me to set it up though as its "too complicated" for him (though Im not quite sure why, since he does the same things in cod and battlefield etc).

If PD had been a totally different game made by EA (haha yeah as if) then I would not have the same feelings for it to be honest.
My feelings lie in lineage of technichal improvements on an original love.

Anyone who tries to compare GE to PD, I side with GEX hahaha.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: