ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Rare Revealed: The Making of Perfect Dark
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Rare Revealed: The Making of Perfect Dark Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CxpdspOV5I

Just posted an hour ago. Includes 2 new images of the facemapper and a new image of the 'Cetan' NPC.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

These people need to be contacted to help the GoldenEye X team with the PD engine issues.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Really interesting PerfectHead photo (menu design looks atrocious, also seems to be in incredibly early beta - "Squash" doesn't exist in beta text files.)

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, is that Cetan what is supposed to be how the ship in Deep Sea looks like from the outside, or was it originally made to be some sort of enemy, I wonder? First time I remember seeing it.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The heights appear suspect too - I wouldn't have thought that Joanna was taller than Mr Blond, and if that 'Cetan' is the submerged 'ship' then of course it has no place at all on the that image, as the submerged ship we play through is rather larger than two metres tall!

And I too don't remember seeing that Cetan image, or even any other image of what the submerged Cetan looked like. It's always been a complaint of mine about Perfect Dark, that you don't see so many important locations/items from the outside, such as the Carrington Institute, the Pellagic II, the submerged Cetan, or even the dataDyne tower (though you see this a little bit, and a lot more in preview videos). Showing these from the outside, even in only a panning shot in the opening cut-scene, would add a lot to the atmosphere, and the lack of atmosphere is one of my few complaints about Perfect Dark.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like Jo is more like Bond's height, perhaps they were afraid of changing her height for fear of the pov. I think Bond was about 2m or something in GoldenEye. But yeah, bizarre her so tall.

Judging by the size, no way that's the Cetan ship - it must be a Cetan alien (perhaps who made the Cetan ship long ago?).

I've been trying to find the beta story of PD, I thought it was in the text files, but having trouble finding it at this time for some reason.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the Cetan was the ship, no? Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy there. Don't think they said too much in the mission briefings, but could be in the story listed in the information room PC. And things did change and evolve during production, so that Cetan may have been an enemy character at one time.

Great video. I understand them wanting to show the Xbox update version instead of the N64 original, even if it felt a little wrong to many of us. Nice to see some of the people behind the game, especially those who did the voices of Jo and Cassandra. Just makes you appreciate how much effort and passion went into creating the game.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Joanna's body textures are 256 colors it seems.
First time I see Carrington in green suit.

They managed to get B jones appeared and talk about her work. Very rare to hear about her work.
They have recorded some working session (the animation and motion capture part). Too bad they only show few seconds. I could definitely watch a 3 hour documentary full of video during development. Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That green suit is awful, hehe. I know Carrington is supposed to be some eccentric, crackpot inventor, but that's no excuse for bad taste. Glad they changed that.

Blonde also seems slimmer, though it could just be the image of him.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, I noticed this on GoldenEye Decoded too, its a very good documentry ripped from rare-replay.
I also watched the conker and banjo ones, all very interesting.

The face mapper really looks bad in practice. The idea was good, but the result was awfull.
As they also said, they couldnt be sure who was taking images of who.

They revealed that Banjo's SnS was taken out at the last minute because they never told Nintendo about their 'feature'. When they did Nintendo revealed they had fixed the ram meaning new consols would not work.

Everytime I pull a game cart all I get is a sudden freeze, so SnS must have done something to avoid this, at least on the dev consol.

I wish they would make one for GoldenEye, but I guess they included that with Perfect Dark.

Trev

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure the facemapper was more than decent actually.
On screenshots from X64 magazine, you could see that there was even a feature to modify the shape of the head's polygons.

I'm confident I could have make a decent head with this, with some work.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The facemapper was definitely working well and looking good before it got removed. The screenshot shown of it in the video is really really really old. I can understand their reasoning for removing it though, as unfortunate as it is.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
...I can understand their reasoning for removing it though, as unfortunate as it is.

Yes. Every time some ****head in the USA takes a legally owned gun/guns into a school or shopping mall and kills people/children, then powers that be, instead of banning guns (which would upset the extremely wealthy weapon manufacturers, who pay millions to the political funds of politicians who refuse to ban guns) blame whatever is easiest to blame. It used to be rock music, then heavy metal, then video nasties, at the moment it's computer games.

And if Rare had added the ability to put real people's faces on to in-game characters for you to shoot, then the next time someone who'd played PD and used the face mapper to put his friends' in, killed someone in real life, then Rare would have been accused of inciting gun violence, the American government and legal system would have gone along with it (they wouldn't want to upset the right-wing gun manufacturers and the NRA) instead of putting the blame where it belongs (letting people who are emotionally unstable or evil have access to actual firearms), Rare would have got sued, lost a fortune, and possibly even gone broke.

By the way, look at this article from October 14th 2015:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/14/people-are-getting-shot-by-toddlers-on-a-weekly-basis-this-year/

"This week a 2-year-old in South Carolina found a gun in the back seat of the car he was riding in and accidentally shot his grandmother, who was sitting in the passenger seat. This type of thing happens from time to time: A little kid finds a gun, fires it, and hurts or kills himself or someone else. These cases rarely bubble up to the national level except when someone, like a parent, ends up dead.

But cases like this happen a lot more frequently than you might think. After spending a few hours sifting through news reports, I've found at least 43 instances this year of somebody being shot by a toddler 3 or younger. In 31 of those 43 cases, a toddler found a gun and shot himself or herself.
"

The article also says that (up until that date) thirteen toddlers have killed themselves with firearms.

It's appalling beyond words, isn't it?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hate how rare it is to see voice-actor performance

Jo's actor is lovely , LOL "Is it really her" but that's it !!

RIP facemapper .. although Sogun has his ways !!!

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:

Every time some ****head in the USA takes a legally owned gun/guns into a school or shopping mall and kills people/children,

Or anywhere for that matter.

Kerr Avon wrote:
instead of banning guns

Unfortunatly even in the UK where guns are banned largely (With the exception of holding a Shotgun/FAC licence and low powered air guns) there are still shootings, there was one just the other day at a Mcdonalds.

So, Banning guns doesnt stop criminals, if they are going to do it they will find a way. Also, people drive cars which can be used to kill people.

There has to be some way to control weapon distribution to allow selective distribution without pushing it underground.

You cant buy a handgun in the UK so where did they get it? same goes for anywhere else that Bans or tries to ban guns.

Kerr Avon wrote:
And if Rare had added the ability to put real people's faces on to in-game characters for you to shoot, then the next time someone who'd played PD and used the face mapper to put his friends' in, killed someone in real life, then Rare would have been accused of inciting gun violence

This is very true, there are even those that without the facempper say games cause violence.
I beleve that so long as you can distinguish reality from fanticy, games are a let-go.

Kerr Avon wrote:
By the way, look at this article from October 14th 2015:

Unfortunatly I would have to say that that is the parents fault. If it had been a knife it would have a similar result.
Stupididty allows parents to beleve their little one cant possibly use it, the safty is on, well, what do we know about kids, they find ways to open things.

Anyway, whats the point in carrying a gun if you leave in on the back seat? thats stupid in its own right.

Anyway, I have digressed.

mistamontiel wrote:
I hate how rare it is to see voice-actor performance

Thats because there is usually nothing to see, especually when you have multiple characters by one person.

Although, it is interesting if they have people doing back-and-forth in the same session, espescually in comedies.

There are a few places in PD where the speach was "flat" even though the character was running or something.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: