ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

3D Printed CcamoguardZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: 3D Printed CcamoguardZ Reply with quote Back to top

Who would have thought nearly 20 years ago that somebody in the future would actually be able to hold an object made for a game.... well, 20 years later we can.

I present my rendition of CcamoguardZ

Game:

3D Print:

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, that's great, Trevor! Now he just needs some friends. Nice work. Smile

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, hehe, he will someday.

Trev

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's great! I've not yet tried 3D printing, though I am interested, so please tell us all of the details, such as where it was printed, how long did it take, could you watch it being printed, how much did it cost, is the finished item tough (i.e. how much force would take to break it), what file format did you use for the model, and anything else that you think is relevant.

When good quality, cheap to run, home 3D printers are affordable and reliable, then things are going to be fantastic!

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:

where it was printed,

My Local Library bought a 3D printer and needed someone to test it. As I was attending Job Club and people knew of my modeling, they asked me.
Kerr Avon wrote:

how long did it take,

This one took 45Mins
Kerr Avon wrote:

could you watch it being printed,

Yes, we left the Door open on the UP3D
Kerr Avon wrote:

how much did it cost

As it was a test and not yet available to the public, it was free. In reality a Kilo of ABS is £18 and this used 6g, so about 10p
Kerr Avon wrote:

is the finished item tough (i.e. how much force would take to break it),

Its ABS and quite sturdy, I made a hollow cube and it wouldnt snap when squeezed.
However, his arms are quite thin and i didnt test to destruction. I didnt have great Acetone.
Kerr Avon wrote:

what file format did you use for the model

Obj
Its not direct from GoldenEye as holes need to be closed, but it is essentially as direct as possible from GE as exported from PG.

It was Printed from Win10 3D Builder, which isnt so much of a builder at present but just a printer platform. MS plans on using augmented reality for building at a later stage.

Its 1:20 scale (90mm) printed at 0.35mm layer height (library had limited time, 0.2mm was to take 3Hrs)

To limit scafolding it was actually printed in parts with connecting notches.

If I did it again, I would steam it in acetone to remove the layer lines.

What I am happy with is that it retained the polygons.

What I most dislike is his face...

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is almost like it would be better if you could somehow capture images of a character face from emulating the game, edit them together as a wrap, print it out, and attach it to his head. The normal textures would likely be too low resolution to give good results.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:

Thanks for the detailed info, mate. It's very interesting.

Why would a library want a 3D printer, though?

BTW, I was in a job club in the mid 90s for a few weeks, I really hope it's more fun at your job club than it was in mine...

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is literally fantastic! This is possibly letting the geek out a little within me but it's a small step now to "Goldeneye 64: The Board Game"...

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, I actually did think about printing his head. I wouldnt use emulation when I have original maps, more to the point, emulation exports a weird format with all the other junk, PG exports what I want in a format I can use.

The problem with sticking paper to a model of this size is that it would most likly fall off, or be extremly seamed.
maybe varnish would solve that, but I wanted the matt finish, and even flat varnish still has a slight sheen to it.

But, I might.

As for the Library wanting a 3D printer... who knows. They wanted it because Dundee Library has 3 Big ones that caan print metal.
Arbroath Library thought they could do a service and charge costs for people to print locally instead of traveling 16 miles.

As to how much it will be used.... probably once I stop, it wont.

Trev

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

man this is goldenart
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: