ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Beta Aztec Guards & Path...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Beta Aztec Guards & Path... Reply with quote Back to top

While the path may have been pointed out before, I don't think everyone may be aware of it. It starts just in behind Jaws, and goes all the way through to the area just past the trench near the start of the level. This may have been meant for a Moonraker Elite, but my feelings tell me that perhaps Jaws was going to be patrolling the underground section. Not only does he look badass walking around with his dual AR33's, but it makes encountering him more random and frightening.

Also, this really confused me at first, but apparently there is supposed to be four guards in the area you meet Jaws. Not the two we are used to, but two additional grenade tossing Elite. Why do they show up in the Visual Editor but not in the actual game? The clipping tiles they both stand on are too far away from the walls. Since the walls in this section of the map are slanted, the clipping had to be pulled away from them. Otherwise the player, as well as the guards, could stick their heads right through. These two guards are just slightly too far over, and as a result are not loaded into the level. Simply shifting them over a touch fixes this issue.

Last edited by Wreck on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I knew about the path and assume it was a patrol route for Jaws too, but never the guards. (One of these days I need to get back to adding these things TCRF GoldenEye/Perfect Dark articles. There's a lot I'm aware of that's missing there.)

Hard to imagine that mission being even tougher!

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very cool find, Wreck. Makes me wonder how much other stuff we have yet to discover just because we didn't look at the finer details in some levels.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
Very cool find, Wreck. Makes me wonder how much other stuff we have yet to discover just because we didn't look at the finer details in some levels.

Yeah it's very intestering that they didn't bother at all to erase those modified or erased things. Just for us to never stop beeing amazed of the game (Best thing is, they never thought about the fact we'll still be interested in these games 20 years later !)

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

very cool find, will these two extra guards be making an appearance in GEX?
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They'll be ported over with everything else, so it would be up to us decide whether or not to remove them later on. I'm not big on the idea of "adding" more guards, but because this appears to be a simple oversight in the original, these guys could finally get their chance at defending Jaws.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea that they have been hiding all this time and now we may be able to see them protect Jaws once again Smile how about the jaws path, are you thinking of using it?
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was, and had tried it, but a major issue is that you can trigger him when he gets near the area with the bridge at the start of the level. When that happens, he runs all the way upstairs after you. I've encountered him inside the exhaust bay before, which was quite a shock. It takes away the need to go down into the ruins, and lets you get the smart card way too quickly. Perhaps Rare also encountered this and decided to lose it, if the path was indeed for him to begin with.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps the path was for just an ordinary guard, but it would seem to be for jaws and that the scenario you described was the result.

I suppose you could go 1/2 way and use the path, but truncate it to just a few rooms, so that we dont know where in that area he might be.

This keeps the area and dificulty similar, but animates him so he is not just a statue (I dont think he sneezes or swats flies like normal guards)

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: