ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Design oversights from GE I think should be fixed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if the lights will be a part of the VR version of Facility. With explosions going off, they will destroy the lights and cause the stage to go dark. A darkened stage won't be much fun for players. The only level in PD multi that had a few lights was Ruins, and those were few and far between. So lights (the actual elements, not BG textures) will likely not be present in VR mode.

The rest of the changes, including vent shaft adjustments, should make it. But it will require testing for spawning up there with Sims, and extending the vent path network so Sims can even use them.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lights dont actually work for more than 1 player.

Sub found that skedar ruins had lights in the Combat Sim but rare disabled them.

We enabled them to see what happened and while it really transformed the bland level into quite a beautiful one in 1 player with sims, more than 1 player crashed.

Now, I cant remember if Sub got it working if only 1 player detected, it might be we were waiting on zoinkity tacking a conditional in there?
I still have the roms I think, so Ill check later.
*Actually, we must have got it working, Co-Op and Counter-Op work in the same way. Ill still search for the rom and confirm

Personally, I would love to see the Combat Sim with lights when playing against bots.
I dont mind loosing them when more than one player is playing as there are usually enough distractions going on in the room to not fully notice.
Remember that only recently it was revealed that GE didnt draw scortch marks in multi, yet nobody missed them.

Trev

OK, The level is Ruins, not skedar and it seems that "Lights" work in 2 seperate ways not 1 combined.
First is the obvious Corona (Visual effect 1P only)
Second is the way it interacts with the BG. (Global to room)

1 Player can enjoy both while >1 player can only enjoy the second.

I lost the rom with CS modded to support 1 player Coronas so I cant back the conditional componant up with evidence, but I did test ruins with lights secondary componant.

I think facility would work just fine with the lights in multi.
If a player really wants to go round shooting them out, so be it. Razz

Oh, and related note, sparks and dodgy doors also work in CS.

Last edited by Trevor on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lights function for greater than one player, but the visual "corona" as we call it is absent. I imagine Rare decided not to incorporate working lights into more of their multiplayer levels because of rooms blackening. It isn't just people shooting at lights, but explosions as well that can break them. So even if Sims wouldn't be purposely aiming for lights, they could still destroy them with explosive weapons. In an interior level full of lights, this could become rather annoying. I can just see the complaints coming in already...

The lights in Ruins CS work as is, and was the level that first let me understand the format of how they're setup in the BG file. But there aren't enough strewn about the stage to darken enough of it to distract from regular gameplay. I completely lit Car Park as a test, and you can make most of it go quite dark.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, I forgot the word, updated previous with right word.

I also forgot about explosions, also, sims are not affected by lack of light so I now see your point.

They might have also not botherd with lights due to the lack of corona support.

Trev

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak, I was also bothered by the lack of stock on the kf7's in GE, your model looks excellent, looks like rare quality. I think it would be a great fit for the mod. I wonder what Wreck thinks.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!

Been working with low poly stuff for awhile, so it's pretty easy for me to work around and make assets N64 style.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Never got around to commenting on the KF7 discussion. While I personally prefer an AK to have a wooden stock (like the replica I have at home), it looks like the AK's Bond and other main characters use in various scenes of the film have either a folded metal stock, or none at all. I also think it may be too big of a visual change, as the KF7 is one of the most common weapons seen in the mission campaign.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The model used in GE is the AK74-S although apparently its the chinese Type 56 modified to look like the 74.

Rare chose to meet them half way and use an AK47-S.

The -s on the end denotes "Short" and usually comes in Folding Stock format.

The 47 is 7.62x39 while the 74 is 5.45x39, visually this results in a straighter mag for the 74 compared with the bannana of the 47.

To change the GE model to either is probably as simple as changing the mag alone.

I would be in favour of changing the GE AK to the 74-s varient by reducing the mag bend by about half to match the movie, but not to add a stock.

Trev

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Old subject but..... If there were to be lights in multiplayer (sounds like the game crashes with more than 1 human player tho), could they be made to reset themselves after so often? After so many minutes the lights would be able to be shot out again. Don't know if it'll work but just me thinking. =)

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think that is possible, but yes, the game cannot suport coronas on more than 1 human but can darken with any number of players.

Trev

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Trev =)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There were plenty of other multiplayer levels that could have utilized lights (like Ruins did), but I believe Rare decided not to. It just isn't fun running around in the dark, hoping to walk over ammo, trying to locate your opponents, and not have the Simulants be affected in a similar way to humans. Had the lights been able to reset, say after two minutes or so, that would have helped somewhat. If people really want to play in the darkness, there's the Lights Out Mode cheat, and make sure to add an IR Scanner to the weapon set (as I think you only get Night Vision at the start of the level).

I still wonder why Ruins had lights and no others did. Possibly tested in mission campaign, or somebody wanted to leave lights in at least one Combat Simulator stage, and this one was affected the least?

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see what you're saying Wreck... Especially with how dark some of the stages are on CRT vs emulators. An example would be the caves. It's bright as day on an emulator but on my CRT it's super dark even when I turn brightness and contrast up. Can't hit anything in pitch blackness.
Is there a "you only live once" setting on the multiplayer? I can't remember.. That would be fun with the "perfect darkness" cheat and night vision. You could turn the health up a bit too to last longer. I'll have to try that setting when I get home if that is an option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: