ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Can Doom 64 be patched to be brighter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Can Doom 64 be patched to be brighter? Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm not sure where to post about hacking non-Rare games), please move it if so.

Anyway, as any (and I mean any!) Doom 64 fan will tell you, the game is too dark, even if you manually increase the brightness. So if any N64 hackers on here could make a patch to increase the games brightness or gamma setting then that would be really great.

If this does prove possible, then please make a patch for PAL and NTSC, as lots of people would no doubt love to have this ability.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you should mention that - I was wondering about putting a different WAD file into Doom64 myself.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Data in the N64 version WADs aren't exactly the same format.
You could shove different WADs into the doom engine port here though -> https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom

bloodyscientist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you can make this happen let me know, Doom is soooo dark in my console it is unplayable.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Zoinkity you're a legend! I don't know when (or if ever) I'll get the time to look at that but it seems to be brilliant! I wonder how many mods there are out there with this? I'd expect there'd be lots...

And Kerr Avon: That port appears to have a tweak to change gamma (R + Z :: increase gamma correction) Smile

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:

And Kerr Avon: That port appears to have a tweak to change gamma (R + Z :: increase gamma correction) Smile

Yes, but that's a port of the PC version of Doom, which is totally different to the native N64 game Doom 64.

Also, I personally can't play that port, as I can't get used to the controls. I was hoping that the author or someone would add the ability to use the Turok style of control (C buttons move, Z fires, etc), but sadly it's not happened.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wait... what...?

I thought you wanted GE style of controls, Stick Move/Turn, D/C buttons Strafe/Lookup-down

Personally I also love GE's Context buttons to what all modern games do which is add more buttons etc.
Whats with reload and activate being seperate buttons in COD, who does both at the same time?

Crouch is another one, though its broken in GE but fixed in PD.

Anyway I have digressed, suffice to say I thought you wanted GE like myself and not turok.

Trev

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's a brightness setting in the game. Not sure what values this changes in the game itself, but maybe it would be possible with nothing more than a few gameshark codes to force that value even higher than what is allowed in the game menu?

elfor
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Better late than never right?

Doom 64 Brightness + Features Menu patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5544/

There's also another brightness patch by Ozidual:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9334.0

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic! What would be awesome is a 2 controller control style similar to the one in GE & PD which really would turn it into a modern shooter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: