ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

MosChip MSC9865 and N64 utils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: MosChip MSC9865 and N64 utils Reply with quote Back to top

I bough a new MosChip MSC9865 PCi Multi I/O Controller Card for 25-pin parallele cable. This card is compatible with Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7.

I tested with Windows 7 and with XP (in VirtualBox). For both system the card is plugged correctly but when I test N64 utils and GSCC, the gameshark is still not detected.

I followed the instructions for the driver and I made sure to insert correctly the cable to the computer and GS.

I know those software are outdated because everytime I click to Detect button, the software quits suddenly getting a message that program stops. Even I set them to Windows 98 for compatibility, I click to Detect button but this time it dosen't detect. What can I do to fix it?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Im not sure, perhaps you could make a 98 partition and boot into it to run the utils as Im sure I read somewhere they do not work on NT possibly due to direct access to DOS that 9x provides.

You should be able to do this very easily from 7, right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, right click on an active partition, Shrink (3GB will be plenty), Add Basic Partition, set as boot partition.

Then re-boot your PC, Install 98 then re-insert the Win7 disc and repair MBR.
This should add a startup menu with both 98 and 7 in it.

After that you can try the utils in 98 and hopefully have sucess.
I recomend Autopatcher + 982me + MaximusDecimus Universal USB3.0 + Rp9 + KernelEx to maximise compatabilty.

Trev

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you're using a 64bit operating system the utilities won't work.

From win2k onward direct port access isn't allowed so you must go through a driver. Due to a number of reasons, this usually limits the number of transfers you can do within a period of time. That's the only reason the win9x series was recommended: it works best under it.

Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

According from this link: https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98

What kind of ISO is better for windows 98?

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Erevan wrote:
According from this link: https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98

What kind of ISO is better for windows 98?

Either the OEM full or Retail full versions I'd assume

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Its funny, He PMd me and asked that question, I gave the same responce and he replied
Quote:
If the ISO is already linked, I'm affraid it is not in my computer despite I spent a lot of time to find it from search bar and websites.

Erevan:
Its sounding like maybe you should NOT make a multiboot. Even if my instructions were not 100%, the part about making a CD of 98 and making sure you have a DVD of 7 were.
Also, upon reflection, you said you had a 38MB system partition. this sounds like an integrated OEM laptop with the special recovery partition which you dont want to break.
Also, if the computer is that new... 98 probably wont work anyway.
The biggest problem isnt the cpu, but the graphics.
New(2008+) computers sometimes boot 98 once, then fail after, depending on HW.

Trev

Erevan
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have made a 98 cd and I installed in VirtualBox for test, then success. However as my computer is a 7 (64 bit) I got some advice that the pilot won't work anymore despite the efforts. So the best thing is to get either a Windows XP for multiboot or a vintage 98 whitch I'd choose a 98 for cheap.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that would be the best thing to do.

I have installed win98 on a 64bit cpu once before, but the graphics card memory was shared with main ram in an "odd" way that 98 couldnt handle.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: