ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Golf simulators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Golf simulators Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a fan of most sports games (except some of the old-school NES games like Tecmo Super Bowl, Baseball Stars, and Blades of Steel), but one genre I'm always drawn to is that of golf. From the old Commodore 64 games (Leaderboard Golf) to some really good games for the Intel 386 and 486 processors to even the N64.

Anybody have any favorite golf games? Mine are Mario Golf for the GBA, PGA Tour Golf 486 for DOS, and Wailae Country Open for the N64.

basédexe5ithaccount
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Golf simulators Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
I'm not a fan of most sports games (except some of the old-school NES games like Tecmo Super Bowl, Baseball Stars, and Blades of Steel), but one genre I'm always drawn to is that of golf. From the old Commodore 64 games (Leaderboard Golf) to some really good games for the Intel 386 and 486 processors to even the N64.

Anybody have any favorite golf games? Mine are Mario Golf for the GBA, PGA Tour Golf 486 for DOS, and Wailae Country Open for the N64.

i used to have a favorite but i know it was mario golf and i used to have it tbh tho

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NES Open introduced me to golf games and it became one of my favourite childhood games. The pseudo-3D, the fact that the game saved your progress and replays of your best shoots, and the amount of options and customizables made me spend countless hours playing this game even if I didn't own it and had to borrow it from a friend. The music and the fanfares are still stuck in my head.

Many years later I bought Mario Golf for the N64 and that one clearly improved over NES Open, heh. Themed courses, a great amount of characters, lots of game modes, amazing physics and minigolf! The only thing missing from NES Open was the option to choose your own clubs (and put names to your rivals, hehe).

I was really looking forward for a new Mario Golf on Gamecube, but it seems they went for a more fantastic aproach with crazy obstacles and I didn't try it in the end.

When I played Wii sports golf on the Wii I thought the system was perfect for golf games and we would see lots of cool stuff. But aside from Pangya Golf I can't recall any other golf game in the early years. Even Nintendo didn't bother to release a new Mario Golf.
Luckily EA Sports released probably the best golf simulator ever with the Tiger Wood PGA Tour series. I could only play the 2011 version a little, the learning curve is quite steep, but my brother spend a lot of time with it and loved it. The 2012 version uses the Wii balance board too, so it has to be even more amazing.

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first video game I played was Jack Nicklaus Signature Edition for DOS. It is a game where you can design your own golf courses, which is why I recently decided to start playing it again.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/jack-nicklaus-golf-course-design-signature-edition-1fq

This is an example of a hole I designed. This course uses a custom palette which was created using a utility for the game called jnsedt22. It can be downloaded here: http://web.archive.org/web/20091026194848/geocities.com/rjohn32/jnsedt22.zip

I also recommend searching for custom courses because the 3 courses that come with the game are okay at best. Custom courses tend to have custom objects as well. Also, the default color palette is too saturated.

One down side about the game is how long it takes to render each still 3D image. It is why I have Dosbox set to 15000 cycles and even then I use fast forward to make it go even quicker.

There is also Jack Nicklaus 6, which is technically better, but it is slower and more difficult to make courses with that. It also costs money. You can, however, import JNSE courses into JN6 if you want, so thats a plus.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I actually quite enjoy them myself, but Outlaw Golf 2 rather took the cake for me. They just really got it right when they made that one!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
Luckily EA Sports released probably the best golf simulator ever with the Tiger Wood PGA Tour series

PGA Tour 486 was the precursor to the Tiger Woods Series. It was made by EA before Woods endorsed the series. They made several versions for DOS, but 486 was the best.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When it comes to golf games I look at Mario Golf Toadstool tour. That game was fantastic in every way. The level design for it was tricky and clever and I simply would love to see another Mario Golf game in the future. Besides of course the 3DS title.

fantsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I loved NES Open Golf, still probably my favorite... well after Mario Open for Famicom. Much better than NES Open.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: