ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE-X 5d-beta Patch Released! @ 01-29-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good. Thanks! I appreciate all the help I can get Smile

Last edited by killedbyurmom on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I've reached about 60% optimization for the VR level hopeful. I'd like to try to have that finished up over the next few days. Testing in solo so far, and you can feel the difference, which is encouraging. It will definitely perform better than the original map did in multiplayer, either way. If anything, should be a fun VR stage to battle Sims in.

I'm really glad that you're effectively leaving it up to the player to decide if it's worth playing. I love the way that Rare left it up to the player in PD to decide whether or not they thought it was worth the frame-rate loss when using high resolution mode, and instead of Rare saying "No, you can't use eight bots and explosives in the larger multiplayer levels, since it would slow down the frame-rate too much", Rare let's the player choose the settings and [the player can] decide if it's worth playing like that.

I always think that the player should have as many options as they would like, and if this new VR level of yours is slow (with two or more humans, or with lots of bots and explosives, etc) then please let the players decide for themselves if they want to play it.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW! Finally!! It's great to hear that work is back in progress. I have one question though. Have the GE:X team done the music track comparisons from the original Goldeneye007 to Goldeneye X? Have you guys noticed a significant difference in sound?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only one more main file to optimize, which should be finished tonight. Still not totally sure on the floors, whether or not they should be left alone, but I'll figure that out during testing. It's just the way Rare lit them versus how they connect to each other visually with fogging. It'd obviously be beneficial to scale back how many polygons are used wherever possible, unless it causes other oddities.

I'm all for giving maps a chance in multiplayer, but if they don't hold up well at all, I either attempt to optimize them, or move onto something else.

No recent tests have been done on audio related issues. Many of us haven't really noticed much (if any), and determining what could be affecting it may prove difficult.

Edit: Finished up the last file. First few attempts in multi weren't very encouraging, but I am hoping that it was just my PC being slow. Maybe it needed a reboot. I'll test on console tomorrow, which I hope performs better.

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully audio tests will be done before release, if nothing can be done at this time then maybe for a release after. Appreciate the updates, please take your time with your testings and work.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some good news to report. Console handled the level much better than my computer emulated it. Even with 3P it seemed fair. Didn't get to try 4P so far. I think I have the layout mostly planned, using an overhead map to plot locations for items and spawn points. Cut the stage size down, as the full level feels too large for multiplayer. Don't want players spending more time seeking out their opponent than actually combatting them. Hopefully progress continues smoothly, and this map makes for a nice VR bonus.

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is the VR level made from one of the single player levels or is it a secret? Wink (can't remember if you said or not) . Either way I'm sure it'll be great. Theres no way any slow down could be worse than Perfect Dark, eight simulants, and explosions going off everywhere. Now that could be a slideshow sometimes. I'm surprised my N64 didn't burst into a ball of flames.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Both VR maps in progress are from mission levels. One is brand new to multiplayer, while the other is a new take on an old classic. I can't say much without giving things away. But all will be revealed soon enough.

Got more accomplished on the newest one, though for whatever reason it will not load in 4-Player mode. Even 3 has issues. It seems memory related, as making two characters the same tends to get it loading. I can tweak memory, but you can only give out so much. Hopefully PD handles it better. Maxing it out with a bunch of different characters may prove too hard on it, however.

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Exciting news, Wreck. Really nice to see everything coming together. Great work as always.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so I have the first of the two levels running in the proper GE-X ROM build, with the extra props it uses. I'm not sure if it needs much else before calling it complete (or enough so for the upcoming release). I also did a bit more work on the newest map, and should be able to start the process of bringing it to PD formats soon. Hopefully it will perform well enough for players to get some enjoyment out of it. Not a lot left I can do to optimize it without losing too much of the original look.

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Hype is Real Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't have to be running perfectly, of course. You can use us as beta testers and release the latest version for us to play/test, and if there is/are problems then you can release a fixed version which will can then play/test and if we find more flaws then you can release a fixed version, etc.

The Goldeneye X fanbase might not be large*, but we are eager and loyal!

* If you changed the name to Pokemon X then you'd have millions of fans, but PLEASE don't do this Shocked

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While the quantity of players may not be there yet, the quality certainly is. I couldn't ask for more dedicated followers who have been supporting this project. Their bug reporting, suggestions, and general comments go a long way in keeping GoldenEye X on track and as free from glitches as possible.

Hehe, anything with the word "Pokemon" these days draws plenty of attention. Perhaps we need a GoldenEye Go game, where you battle Janus forces in your own neighborhood.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Hehe, anything with the word "Pokemon" these days draws plenty of attention. Perhaps we need a GoldenEye Go game, where you battle Janus forces in your own neighborhood.

Oh man that would be quite the concept haha.

glad to hear that Goldeneye X is making some progress again, I've not been following the project for quite some time so it i nice to hear some news about it. Hope to give it a run when it is released.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Newest VR map is up and running in GE-X. Without the full optimization in place yet, it loads with 4-Players (which it wouldn't in GE). I don't think there should be any issues with too many different characters loaded in at once (thanks to the Expansion Pak), unless maybe you completely max it out. I'll test that out before releasing.

There are some minor issues that I will need to work out, affecting the visibility of props and characters when crossing certain rooms. Thinking must be room bounds (min/max set for them in the background file). King of the Hill mode may also be broken right now for it.

As a side note, both Statue and Streets will be included in the mission campaign. Of course, both are only previews, without actual objectives and such. Each have problems that will need correcting at another time, but at least it is a good start. Only one left out will be Dam. Damn...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 22 of 60

Jump to: