ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Depot nearing completion BUT I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Depot nearing completion BUT I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS! Reply with quote Back to top

I'm nearing completion of my depot map, but with everything that I wanted to do with it, I have 293 lines of code. The limit for this particular code set is 250.25 (or 250). This means that another 43 lines of code have to go. I'm still playing around with one of my respawn points where I might be able to save 2 lines of code. That makes it 41 that have to go.

These are all the possible code-cutting measures I can think of (number of lines of code in parantheses) :

RESPAWN cutbacks:
(3) Cut back from 5 to 4 respawn points

WEAPON/ARMOR cutbacks:
(12) Cut back from 5 weapon sets to 4
OR
(15) Keep 5 weapon sets but only 1 ammo box instead of 2 w/each set

(4) lose 1 of the 2 body armors
OR
(8 ) lose both body armors

LARGE WAREHOUSE cutbacks:
(7) lock the swinger door downstairs

(9) lose one of the 2 garage vehicles
OR
(18 ) lose both of the 2 garage vehicles
OR
(9) lose a garage vehicle and have just 1 large 4x4 crate in the room

TRAIN cutbacks:
(5) only fix the 2nd to back room and leave the back fringe (tiny tiny room) in the dark
AND/OR
(12) lose the fake wall in the 2nd to back room which blocks the black side panel
AND/OR
(5) don't bother fixing the first room connection in the train either

(13) lose the functional train door

---------------------------------------
Personally, I'm leaning towards at least getting rid of a body armor, locking the swinger door downstairs and either getting rid of a weapon set or cutting from 2 to 1 ammo boxes with each set. That adds up to either 23 or 26 meaning that 15 or 18 lines still have to go.

I'll decide exactly what to do after reading some suggestions. Also, I plan on releasing 2 separate versions (console and emulator) so that the emulator version can implement everything plus maybe even some additional objects.

This is all, of course, unless somebody out there has some efficiency tricks for my doors or room connection kills.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only 4 respawns.

Keep 5 sets but only one ammo box each.

Cut one body armour.

Lose one vehicle.

That saves 43. Smile

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: good news Reply with quote Back to top

I have some good news (and no, I didn't switch my car insurance to Geico) - I rechecked my visibility codes and realized I was using an old set of them. I actually shaved 11 lines of code off of them. That makes things a little easier Smile

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really hope you don't make the level with 4 respawns only. 5 weapon sets to 4 is reasonable, if you are able to make 2 of the 4 special weapon slots. Could lose both armors without many complaints I bet. Lose the function of the train door? I have no idea how the level will play, but would it really affect strategy/gameplay? As in do you see people spawning there, but leaving immediately or is it a place of refuge in a battle? I dunno just giving you my 2 cents.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: re: suggestions Reply with quote Back to top

I'm putting some final finishing touches on the level and doing some final testing.

re: train door - if nothing else - it is a necessity for the level itself. The thing is, the more doors the better for framerates. For every closed door, the framerate improves. On the average, there will always be some open and some closed doors during a game, so you get an overall average boost in framerate. I checked it out and the train door is no exception - with it open, from both inside the train and out, framerates are measurably better when the door is closed.

More doors also reduces the chances of ever having blackouts - blackouts seem to depend on the number of rooms which are visible at any time during a game - the more doors, the lower the average number of visible rooms and thus the less chance of a blackout occuring.

I've also had to re-add 2 visibility kills to my list - I was noticing with my new set new framerate problems in the back part of the outdoor section near the non-accessible warehouse wall - turns out that for some reason, that wall isn't 100 percent solid as in, if you walk right up by it at the right angle, you can see through parts of it, so I had to kill a few connections in the area behind that wall - seemed to drastically improve framerate in that area with the 2 additional kills applied. But I also managed to shorten the crates codes by 2 total lines, so that cancels out. The magic number remains at either 30 or 32.

And I'm with you on the respawns - 5 is already at the minimum I'd like to have.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to delete the train?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It really sucks when it comes down to this. When the damned GameShark just doesn't have enough available memory for you to make the stage exactly how you wanted it. Trying to decide on what should stay and what should go, completely puts a damper on things.

As you've already said, five should definitely be the minimum number of respawns in your stage. Losing one of the two body armours wouldn't be tragic, by any means. So long as the lone armour is placed in a good centralized position. Usually the two would be divided up at each end, which means you'll have to find a good place inbetween for it. Locking off the bottom swinger may limit movement within the warehouse, but it's more accurate to the mission. We're all used of it being locked anyway. I don't know what vehicles you have placed inside of the warehouse, nor where they are parked, so it's tough for me to say. If you could lose one without much fuss, then move the remaining one to another location to make up for it, that would help. Well, that's 20.0 Lines / 320 Bytes, I believe.

I might be able to help you save a few more lines, if you PM what you have to me. I could check it over on my PC, as well as console. I'm here, so just let me know.

Removing the missile train isn't actually that hard. You'd just need to disable all visual connections to it, then modify the clipping to cover the doorway. That's really all there is to do. It doesn't even look bad without it, honestly. The cool thing to do would be to encompass the rest of the railway track in the clipping file, allowing players to venture over to the opposite side.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: map Reply with quote Back to top

Update - I've officially cut down the outdoors portion by a little bit - the small area on the other side of the fence behind the train was causing way too many problems, mainly visibility/framerate issues.

Here is a concept map of my layout thus far....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: