ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Best way to play Goldeneye X (using emulators)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Best way to play Goldeneye X (using emulators) Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking for advice for what other people are using to play Goldeneye X on the emulator front.

I'm not a purist and I enjoy playing Goldeneye X on emulators using PS4 controllers and for the most part everything works well and looks great in HD.
But, I still encounter problems and was wondering what others are using.

So far the best emulator I've found is the 9x overclocked version of 1964 that Carnivorous posted about here: http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

I played a bunch of 3 player splitscreen with 8 bots on every level and the game ran very smooth, however 4 player still caused some glitching slow down in certain maps. (Although I think the Complex worked okay)

I also noticed a strange quirk with the controls. with the latest version of n-rage, when I map the c-buttons to the left analog stick, I cannot do diagonal movement (using control 1.2). It's not a huge problem because you can still use the d-pad for the strafing. However, in the last build of project64, which used a modified n-rage control, you CAN do diagonal movement with the analog stick. However, the pj64nrage control .dll is not compatible with the 1964x9 emulator.

I've tried changing the resolution and stuff for performance, but it doesn't actually change anything. I wonder if the stutters and slow downs could be fixed with an even MORE over clocked emulator, or if its in the code itself?

What emulators do you guys use?

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use the default 1964 with the 60fps mousehack, works like a charm however I do get slowdowns if I try to record footage so I might try Carn's 1964.

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you do any split screen Goldeneye X action?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had no idea N-Rage did that. Giving 1964 a higher overclock becomes unstable. I found 9 to be the best before it started having timing glitches. Have you tried using Darkman's Dinput plugin? http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64padplugins/darkman-s-direct-input.html

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For solo and VR (I don't play multi on emulators) I use Project64 with Glide plugin. Works like a charm and run well, with all the eye candy you wants (sky, the light effect from PD etc...).

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't tried Darkman's Dinput plugin. I'll give it a shot.

In the meantime, I have a quick question about patching. I'm sort of new to all of this, but can you patch Goldeneye X to have more levels and weapons, or will that break it?

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried Darkman's Dinput plugin and it DOES fix the diagonal c-buttons issue, but it also has a more sensitive analog stick for aiming, which I can't seem to adjust. This plugin seems designed for mouse and keyboard controls. I had to adjust the "default" control scheme to get my controller to work.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is sensitivity controls in the profile editor.

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It looked to me like the sensitivity controls only INCREASED the sensitivity, but I'll have another look at it . . .

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The patches on GoldenEye Vault are typically all meant to be applied to a base ROM only, and since many file locations and data tables have been relocated, trying to use another patch (like the PD Nintendo Classic Maps by Sogun) won't work. The individual level files would need importing directly into the GoldenEye X ROM. It can definitely be quite the task, especially for anyone unfamiliar with the GE / PD Editor.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod. There's no better way to play it than on an actual N64 console, but hopefully you can get the most out of it using an emulator.

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I appreciate that people enjoy playing on an N64 console, but I've always felt that what RARE was trying to do was way more ambitious than the N64 could handle. Playing Goldeneye X in 1080p with a smooth framerate is pretty damn awesome.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have always been my favourite multiplayer games and what you've done with Goldeneye X is **** fantastic.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately I don't know of any other plugins other than N-Rage or DInput /:

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I mean N-Rages plugin is the best and is very easy to set-up and use. It's just wierd that it doesn't register the diagonal movement. I wonder if there's a way to track down the dude that augmented the N-rage for Project64 and find out what was changed in the .dll code.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried setting up modifiers for each left stick direction? Do you use the PD Speedhack for N-Rage app?

Beyond Synth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The N-rage modifiers don't work that way, I don't think. You can set a macro to be a combination of N64 buttons to ONE button on the controller. So I can make X my croutch button. I thought there might be a way to just tell N-rage that a diagonal direction on the analog stick is equal to "C-UP and C-RIGHT", but it doesn't register diagonal inputs from the analog stick as an input when programming a macro. Unless there is something I am not doing correctly. Which is possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: