ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

1964 60FPS bundle for GoldenEye/Perfect Dark (2022/01/19)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e2zippo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is amazing, can't believe I just found this now, I've always wanted to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with good frame rates! I remember at the "Streets" level in Goldeneye i found a place when facing a wall the framerate was so smooth, i stood there side stepping many times! Very Happy

It works so smooth with mouse control, although I mapped my Wii U Pro controller instead, with a modern shooter in mind, to get a more authentic feel. This guy has an awesome post how to do it!

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=5576&page=2

One last question, is anyone sitting on a any texture packs (mostly looking for the HUD textures, they look kinda meh) they're willing to share? I googled my ass off only to find dead links :/

Many thanks again!

cristianomtd
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see there are icons already, but for those who may want the original cartridge pic, here it is:

https://www.4shared.com/photo/djs3qGmhba/GoldenEye_007.html?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

e2zippo wrote:
One last question, is anyone sitting on a any texture packs (mostly looking for the HUD textures, they look kinda meh) they're willing to share? I googled my ass off only to find dead links :/
Dumping textures for GE\PD - they have a different CRC every map load. This makes creating texture packs very difficult. I suspect this is one of the reasons why there isn't any complete texture packs for GE\PD. Nobody has made a texture pack for PDs font but there is a Glide64 texture pack included with the bundle that replaces font for GE
Edit - gonetz explains why this happens with texture CRCs

Last edited by Carnivorous on Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

cristianomtd
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been experiencing a really weird issue, I can only think it has something to do with my PC but here it goes... First of all, I play only GE and use 1964x9. So, I unzip the 1964 folder and the first time I run the game everything is perfect. But when I run it for the second or third time, the game is a little bit laggy, keyboard commands don't respond well and the aim is messed up, looks like it's trying to go back to screen center (I use the default aim cursor). If I shoot fast while aiming, there will be a large distance between the bullet holes.

Actually, this isn't a big problem since all I have to do is delete 1964 folder, unzip it again and... everything is perfect again. So, everytime I wanna play I have to unzip 1964. I don't change any settings, just the resolution.

Has this happened to someone before? I guess not, right?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you using the latest version? Might be related to kernel frequency which was fixed in last update

deuxsonic
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cristianomtd wrote:
I see there are icons already, but for those who may want the original cartridge pic, here it is:

https://www.4shared.com/photo/djs3qGmhba/GoldenEye_007.html?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wca7inhibxfpc1c/GoldenEye_007_Icon.7z

cristianomtd wrote:
I've been experiencing a really weird issue, I can only think it has something to do with my PC but here it goes... First of all, I play only GE and use 1964x9. So, I unzip the 1964 folder and the first time I run the game everything is perfect. But when I run it for the second or third time, the game is a little bit laggy, keyboard commands don't respond well and the aim is messed up, looks like it's trying to go back to screen center (I use the default aim cursor). If I shoot fast while aiming, there will be a large distance between the bullet holes.

Actually, this isn't a big problem since all I have to do is delete 1964 folder, unzip it again and... everything is perfect again. So, everytime I wanna play I have to unzip 1964. I don't change any settings, just the resolution.

1964 stores all of its settings in the registry so it wouldn't be a configuration issue with 1964 because deleting the game folder doesn't get rid of the settings in the registry. On the other hand, the plug-ins store their settings in INI files. What you could do is make copies of the INI files right before you start playing a fresh copy of the game and then make a second set of copies when the problems have started and then use a tool like Files Comparer which will highlight lines that have changed and use that to figure out what setting is causing a problem.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cristianomtd wrote:

I had the exact issue you did and I can confirm the Kernel Frequency update fixed it for me (and I love the new icon).

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

e2zippo wrote:
This is amazing, can't believe I just found this now, I've always wanted to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with good frame rates! I remember at the "Streets" level in Goldeneye i found a place when facing a wall the framerate was so smooth, i stood there side stepping many times! Very Happy

It works so smooth with mouse control, although I mapped my Wii U Pro controller instead, with a modern shooter in mind, to get a more authentic feel. This guy has an awesome post how to do it!

Many thanks again!

i might be sitting on some HUD texture packs, i picked up a few from awhile back from different authors and merged a couple together. Here is a vid i put together of it in action. https://youtu.be/tLgsqY_kCJA?t=58

http://imgur.com/a/FX64q

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
e2zippo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

madmax386 wrote:
e2zippo wrote:

Many thanks again!

i might be sitting on some HUD texture packs, i picked up a few from awhile back from different authors and merged a couple together. Here is a vid i put together of it in action. https://youtu.be/tLgsqY_kCJA?t=58

http://imgur.com/a/FX64q

Looks great, would you care to share them, and do they work with GlideN64 or just Glide64?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

graslu wrote:
I wouldn't really mind having the FOV change the viewmodels too even if it creates some issues on them, that's what happens on most games and having the gun too close to the camera with a wider FOV may and probably will make it feel weird.

When I played through GE the extended viewmodel with the wider FOV felt great and didn't find any issues, in PD though you're able to see where the arm model ends sometimes, but again not a big issue, IMO. It was great to see more of the guns while playing and not in pause menu or outside the game itself, pretty interesting details on some of them like the Laptop Gun.
I have changed the interface note for FOV to reflect this. Anything beyond 90 degrees will show 'breaks viewmodels and LOD'. Also thanks to the many comments on your tutorial video I changed the input system to accept all device input if only one player is active
deuxsonic wrote:
The Jabo plug-ins work but look awful, but GLideN64, despite being listed as a slower option in the readme, actually runs quite well and is very accurate with a little tinkering to the frame buffer configuration to speed it up (the options in it marked to be faster.)
I changed the readme - it says GLideN64 is just a WIP graphics plugin marked as 'slow' like Glide64. Again it depends on each system and I think Glide64 can be sometimes more accurate than GLideN64
~~
thank you to the many people who gave feedback and bug reports to help the bundle get to the state as it is now

cristianomtd
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Are you using the latest version? Might be related to kernel frequency which was fixed in last update

I wasn't, tested it now and you're right, the issue was related to kernel frequency. When it is set to max, the issue doesn't happen, but if I unmark that option, it comes back. I'm glad I got rid of it, thank you. I'm curious, could you explain what was causing that and why is solved now? In simple words (if that's possible haha), 'cos I'm a noob when it comes to these things. Talking about that, I'm kinda lost on how to create a shortcut straight to the games, could you do a step by step guide? I think it would be nice to include it in the readme file.

I can't enable cursor aim in 1964x1, this option has those grey letters. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kernel frequency is an undocumented NT windows kernel feature that changes the tickrate of the windows environment. it can cause instability and higher use of battery life, the pro is it can make games run at a higher frequency. the mouse injector overrides some addresses in-game that are updated every game cycle so it needs a high frequency rate to counter said address. the aiming in goldeneye for example will violently stutter if the tickrate is not maxed out. i had once written to switch plugins as a solution in the readme but it turns out jabo also sets the kernel frequency to max. the kernel frequency will go back to default once 1964 is closed
~~
the reason cursor aiming is disabled in 1964x1 is because when the game runs in a lower frame rate it will not be able to lock the cursor perfectly, causing the same stuttering issue. i also disable perfect dark speed-hack because 1964x1 is unable to emulate perfect dark at 60fps so the speed-hack will keep trying to inject causing the game to stutter. maybe in the future i can find a better way to override the cursor addresses but for now it needs to be disabled for 1964x1
~~
first make sure the rom filename has no spaces. you might need to rename it. then right click on whatever 1964 version you wish to use and click create shortcut. move the shortcut to where-ever you want and then right click on the shortcut. in the target window put in the following command -g romname.z64

it should look like this - Target: C:\N64\1964\1964x#.exe -g goldeneye.z64

for example here is the complete syntax of command lines
Code:
Syntax: 1964 [-f fullscreen_flag] [-v video_plugin_filename] [-a audio_plugin_filename] [-c controller_plugin_filename] [-g rom_name_inside_rom_directory]
Example 1: 1964x# -f -v Jabo_Direct3D8.dll -a AziAudio0.56WIP2.dll -c Mouse_Injector.dll -g Perfect_Dark.z64
Example 2: 1964x# -g goldeneye.z64

cristianomtd
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
kernel frequency is an undocumented NT windows kernel feature that changes the tickrate of the windows environment. it can cause instability and higher use of battery life, the pro is it can make games run at a higher frequency. the mouse injector overrides some addresses in-game that are updated every game cycle so it needs a high frequency rate to counter said address. the aiming in goldeneye for example will violently stutter if the tickrate is not maxed out. i had once written to switch plugins as a solution in the readme but it turns out jabo also sets the kernel frequency to max. the kernel frequency will go back to default once 1964 is closed
~~
the reason cursor aiming is disabled in 1964x1 is because when the game runs in a lower frame rate it will not be able to lock the cursor perfectly, causing the same stuttering issue. i also disable perfect dark speed-hack because 1964x1 is unable to emulate perfect dark at 60fps so the speed-hack will keep trying to inject causing the game to stutter. maybe in the future i can find a better way to override the cursor addresses but for now it needs to be disabled for 1964x1
~~
first make sure the rom filename has no spaces. you might need to rename it. then right click on whatever 1964 version you wish to use and click create shortcut. move the shortcut to where-ever you want and then right click on the shortcut. in the target window put in the following command -g romname.z64

it should look like this - Target: C:\N64\1964\1964x#.exe -g goldeneye.z64

for example here is the complete syntax of command lines
Code:
Syntax: 1964 [-f fullscreen_flag] [-v video_plugin_filename] [-a audio_plugin_filename] [-c controller_plugin_filename] [-g rom_name_inside_rom_directory]
Example 1: 1964x# -f -v Jabo_Direct3D8.dll -a AziAudio0.56WIP2.dll -c Mouse_Injector.dll -g Perfect_Dark.z64
Example 2: 1964x# -g goldeneye.z64

Allright. I would like to use the GE icon, so my question is: should I apply it to the shortcut created or to the target file in folder before creating shortcut? Or it makes no difference?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

save the icon in the 1964 directory and apply it to the shortcut

deuxsonic
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing left I can think of is how the performance tanks hard with smoke and explosions. It could be that GLideN64 just doesn't handle them gracefully but since everything else performs so well, it kind of sticks out as a "why is this one thing so slow?"

Try blowing up a bunch of boxes creating lots of smoke and then standing in the middle of the smoke, and getting shot with a rocket or being blown up by a mine. The latter reduces the performance to a slideshow until the explosion is no longer being rendered. I know explosions were hard on the N64 as well but not to the point of being unplayable for a moment (that I can remember anyway). When possible I try to make sure smoke and explosions stay at a distance where they have much less of a performance impact and looking away when explosions occur relatively close by, but sometimes you get blown up and can't look away, like throwing proximity mines everywhere because bots are stupid and walk right into them and then you forget where you put all of them and blow yourself up and it's like extra punishment for forgetting because the game slows down so much that it can take 10+ seconds before the screen finally fades all the way to black.

The different region releases of GoldenEye each had a different way of handling large numbers of explosions because of the framerate issue (US version just ignores explosions (meaning potentially wasted ammo) if it goes over whatever the limit is, EU version staggers explosions into the max number of them at one time, and the JP version simply won't detonate explosions over the max leaving the player able to then detonate the rest afterwards).

https://tcrf.net/GoldenEye_007_(Nintendo_64)#Regional_Differences

This still interests me, like keeping strong autoaim and all armor pickups in the JP version regardless of skill? Thanks guys.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 15 of 53

Jump to: