ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Silo - Modified Scenario Concept...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Silo - Modified Scenario Concept... Reply with quote Back to top

In the original Silo mission, when you play on either Secret or 00 Agent difficulty modes, there is an intruder detected alert, which triggers a countdown to detonate explosives. I found this a bit odd for a few reasons...

The first is that, even though the missile silo is about to blow up, none of the guards or scientists seem to care very much. They remain at their stations, as if it's just a regular day at work. Even Ourumov doesn't mind the fact he's only moments away from being cooked alive.

Secondly, on 00 Agent mode, you are required to plant C4 charges in each of the fuel rooms. But why even bother, when everything is about to go boom, anyway?

Another possibility, on 00 Agent mode only - where you actually need to sabotage the silo, would be that one of the ICBM's is ready to launch. The on screen countdown clock is how much time you have to plant your plastique and enter the elevator. Should you do this in time, the silo is destroyed, and the launch "cancelled". If you fail, the ICBM is launched - putting yet another experimental GoldenEye satellite into space. Certainly not something MI6 would be pleased with.

A note: planting plastique in the original Silo mission on Secret and 00 Agent does not affect the countdown clock. So the same would be said here. You prep the bomb timers to match the launch, giving you as much time to finish the mission as possible.

How does that scenario change sound for making a little more sense out of this mission? It really has zero affect on gameplay, other than the fact there won't be explosions to kill you once the clock expires. Secret Agent would no longer be against the clock, however. Everything else remains identical.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think this matches what was previously said on the subject.
Although I also believe the other thread suggested making a use for Ourumove's Key?

I do agree though, there are 2 missiles left (one with nuclear warhead as all missile silos would have, and one ready to launch with GE Sat (the one remaining sat that you photo is much like NASA have, a ground copy so that anything you do in space is mimicked on earth)) and the countdown and destruction goal makes much better sense to stop it from being launched.

The other change that would affect gameplay was the re-introduction of elevator and a reason to use it at the end. A few people have requested the elevator and a new ending would need to be devised to utilise it.

trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there anything that states this silo actually has any nuclear weapons? Ourumov is the head of the Space Weapons Division, which has been focusing on the GoldenEye satellite. It would seem they use the silo to launch the satellites into orbit. Would Bond really be instructed to blow up a complex housing nuclear weaponry?

Yeah, the satellite you photograph could be considered the "floor model", like a fully assembled version of office furniture you need to put together at home. The technicians could use it as reference when assembling others, or coming up with improvements.

The lift would be a neat beta extra, but I feel its usefulness could possibly impact the mission too much. Though you still need to go back through to collect items and plant explosives. If we can scrounge up enough images of the actual lift in detail, it could be rebuilt.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad you made me do some research Razz
It appears Kyrgyzstan got independence forced on them in 1991 (88.7 voted in favour of staying in new Russia) therefore all Soviet ICBMs would be re-patriated to Russia by the time we go there. GE was 1995, Silo would be 1993
"Soviet Missile Silo - Two Years Ago"

however note the Key-words - "Missile Silo"

The briefing asks to find out what is being launched (satellite or what, presumably they are worried it could be old ICBMs being placed in orbit)
"Outside the control of former soviet powers in the region"

HOWEVER, The Missiles have "CCCP" on them, indicating that they ARE Soviet missiles, that means they have not been re-patriated to Russia.

All in All, Id say its safe to say that they are ICBMs re-fitted with satellites.

Also, the wording of the 00Agent entry text still suggests that it can be read 2 ways, the other being bond sets his own timers.
"Silo Infiltrated-" this is a statement, like Objective A complete
"explosive charges automatically primed" Bond set all his timers so they all go off at the same time.

Still, I prefer the idea of a launch but thought I'd throw that in

Trev

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
I'm glad you made me do some research Razz
It appears Kyrgyzstan got independence forced on them in 1991 (88.7 voted in favour of staying in new Russia) therefore all Soviet ICBMs would be re-patriated to Russia by the time we go there. GE was 1995, Silo would be 1993
"Soviet Missile Silo - Two Years Ago"

however note the Key-words - "Missile Silo"

The briefing asks to find out what is being launched (satellite or what, presumably they are worried it could be old ICBMs being placed in orbit)
"Outside the control of former soviet powers in the region"

HOWEVER, The Missiles have "CCCP" on them, indicating that they ARE Soviet missiles, that means they have not been re-patriated to Russia.

All in All, Id say its safe to say that they are ICBMs re-fitted with satellites.

Also, the wording of the 00Agent entry text still suggests that it can be read 2 ways, the other being bond sets his own timers.
"Silo Infiltrated-" this is a statement, like Objective A complete
"explosive charges automatically primed" Bond set all his timers so they all go off at the same time.

Still, I prefer the idea of a launch but thought I'd throw that in

Trev

Is it true, the Soviet Union disintegrated in 1991 and in the game marks Soviet installations in 1993? Does not make sense, better should be called: '' Russian Silo, Russia '', and not Kirginstan

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Johnny Thunder wrote:
Is it true, the Soviet Union disintegrated in 1991 and in the game marks Soviet installations in 1993? Does not make sense, better should be called: '' Russian Silo, Russia '', and not Kirginstan

You would also have to change Moneypenny's statement about Bishkek since Bishkek is the capital of Kyrgyzstan.

The briefing also does indicate the "former Soviet" status of Kyrgyzstan, I was only justifying why they would be Nuclear ICBMs over Dedicated Satellite Launch Systems like NASA's Atlas rockets.

As a Government the prospect of Opposing Forces launching Rockets that you know were Nuclear is very worrying. Hence Bond is sent (along with the information of these satellites)

Trev

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the topic of modifying Silo...any chance we could have the original starting location and elevator reinstalled? Perfect Dark had elevator capabilities and it'd be a shame to see them go to waste.

(Also see: Dam island/actually lasering the panel at the bottom of the dam, the original bridge in jungle, working sniper posts in Surface, a second floor in the observatory, etc.)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, let's act like the following four things are true:
1) Ouromov was in charge of the GoldenEye project, knew there was a second satellite, and world governments didn't-despite you'd need to fire a very obvious missile to do so.
2) The ICBMs are just a delivery device; this facility was only launching satellites.
3) According to NASA, it takes ~8-1/2 minutes to get something like a shuttle into orbit.
4) The stage originally started in the vents and had an elevator running from the first platform all the way to the top.

So, let's set aside the assumption Ouromov's key just opens and closes the silo doors. Let's also ignore any assumptions about how the stage might have played out originally.

What's the most sensible reason Bond is there? If a secret facility starts launching things into space that would get MI5's attention. Bond is there to simultaneously destroy the facility and document exactly what they were doing. It's doubtful MI5 knows their launch cycle. This is basically what you're doing in the original stage setup.

Let's say he gets there either right after a missile was fired (!) or when they're prepping another for launch. He now has two options: abort the launch--which he probably won't be able to do--or detonate it in-flight. The second option is the way to swing with this one. An abort device in a lower engine phase would convince world governments the thing was destroyed and mask that the satellite was delivered successfully.

So, only on the highest setting, we have a somewhat different turnout at the end of the stage. Ouromov sets up a firing line, you scare him off, he drops his key. On his way out the facility is put on lockdown and set to explode (he doesn't know you've been planting bombs all over, after all). Silo shutters and controller room elevator doors lock--though let's allow anyone who gets into the elevator to leave that way. In typical Cold War style, the place is now a death trap and there's no way to reopen the facility without heavy equipment.
Next objective: use his key in the console to blow up the rocket in-flight.
From there, you can take the elevator down to the vents and sneak out "the way you came in", though for the actual stage start would be better if that were just shown in a cutscene.

The interesting thing here is that depending on the time between the lockdown and explosions you could take the elevator at the beginning, then work your way down through the facility to the exit instead of the typical route, going up.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really sure the player would need to do anything specifically to either ICBM (being used to launch a GoldenEye satellite into orbit), since the plastique explosions will pretty much take care of that. I don't really want to "change" how the mission plays out or ends, but make a little more sense out of the scenario and objectives. If it would be possible to affect 007 mode (Perfect Dark difficulty editor) to use different objectives, than that could make for an interesting bonus to unlock.

I think the Silo mission briefing goes along with the originally proposed concept in the first post, after reading it again recently.

Background...
MI6 has become concerned that unscheduled test firings from a missile silo in Kirghizstan are being used to cover the launch of Goldeneye weapons satellites. Deep intelligence reports suggest that this operation may well be outside the control of the former Soviet powers in the region.

M Brief
Infiltrate the silo and ascertain what is being placed into orbit; if it is the satellites, recover their control circuitry and sabotage the launches. You are authorized to destroy the base if necessary. This is a matter of international security, 007. Consider the military personnel expendable.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personal opinion: I feel this idea works well. Good stuff!

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol thats really true Wreck.

I like your idea and it should be done in GE:X - It really makes more sense.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say that a 007 mode - work your way back down approach is very intriguing.

It satisfies the use of the elevator and doesn't change much of the mission except for the order.

You still have to blow the place up to stop the next launch (lets assume someone announced "T minus 10 minutes to launch" while bond was in the vent, allowing him to set his timers for 8 minutes) and you still have to collect the evidence MI6 want all as per the M Briefing. " recover circuitry...sabotage launches... destroy base"

Anyway, I do believe the idea of aborting a launch set to go in 10 mins AND bond pre-setting his timers explains away the original quandary of why you get a countdown on 00 Agent.

All we seem to be doing now is trying to add back the elevator, vent and key.

The only reason to use the elevator is if the final door no longer works and bond must return to the vent. Doesn't really matter how the story goes, that is the only way to do it.

Starting in the vent is an easy change of pad position.
actually I agree this is done in cutscene as per reason wreck gives

The key - who knows, it can be used for anything.
It could simply allow exit via the elevator in a "forward" approach where you use the elevator to get back down to the vent to exit.
Or it could be used in the "backwards" approach to abort a previously launched rocket - my goodness, they would have had 4 in orbit...

Trev

Last edited by Trevor on Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My idea that the elevator does not alter too much during the course of the mission is that we can not access the elevator until we have a key card (which can carry a guard that is more or less in the middle of the level, not too close Of the elevator). Another idea would be to hack a level computer to be able to reopen the elevator doors.

Want to create new targets to meet in 007 mode? If that sounds so great and of course I would like it to be so at all levels of the game, that will give a very special touch to the game if we create the 4 difficulty and add a sixth objective to the levels (I think the maximum of goals Which has GE is 5).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The vent I had planned to use just for the intro sequence, if possible. Bond ropes down the shaft, reaches the bottom, walks through it to pop open the vent cover, climbs the ladder up to the catwalk, pulls his pistol out, and player assumes control. The position of the ladder versus the ICBM location would make it a little tricky for players to use it without sticking or bumping. You should still exit via the final elevator. Trying to determine a real purposeful use for the beta lift is not super easy, unless it just is what it is. A shortcut to the top. But wouldn't doors be locked working backwards through the stage? Unless only one side locks are set.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, basically there is to be no change except for justification of the 8 min timer.

To use The elevator the end of the level must be the vent - regardless of the direction you take, but you make a valid point of stating the doors would be locked going "backwards".
In the other thread you actually already went with a similar proposal to above posts except it was Ourumov who locked the normal elevator.
This still makes perfect sense to me and is probably the simplest proposal.

Difficulty/task
-intro
XXXX Down shaft
00XX hear announcement
0XXX set timers to pre-date launch
intro-
XXXX go up as normal collecting circuits and (SA 00)planting C4
00XX See Ourumov, he locks door but drops key
000X use key to get back to shaft via beta-elevator
-outro
000X exit via shaft climbing rope
0XXX base explodes
outro-

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: