ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New Smash Bros Mod

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: New Smash Bros Mod Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_4rgu9uHw

Ok, so it looks pretty interesting and I understand the work involved. So now I'm wondering if Wreck and Sub should be putting up a kickstarter to fund their efforts?

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes !, after almost 18 years, finally a mod is made of Smash Bros 64, fantastic!

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He doesn't own the ip, so I can't imagine it not being shutdown. Probably ruin it for the other smash brother mods too...

Does look nifty though.

Anyways, apparently there's more going on in smash than realized.
Tournament edition
https://smashboards.com/threads/updated-06-09-16-19xxte-0-11-rom-hack-working-on-console.402248/

I also made a patch to let you use the dpad.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

$11,000 USD Kickstarter for a modified N64 ROM project? That's pretty crazy. Hopefully it doesn't lead to any legal troubles for them, or any others who might get targeted as a result.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From https://smashboards.com/threads/warning-smash-overload-rom-hack-is-a-scam-to-make-money.446994/ (Unofficial Super Smash Bros. game series fan-site)

[Everything that follows in this post is from the thread I link to above]

"WARNING! "Smash Overload" rom hack is a scam to make money.

WARNING, this is a semi-real rom hack(will explain later) but is illegally taking donations for a commercial project on a licensed Nintendo product. Under the fair use doctrine this is illegal but to circumvent the law they could make it "educational" however that would require them to give out documentation and in depth information on the rom hack(Redistribution of the game in rom or cartridge form would still be highly illegal). However It appeared strange how the creator refused to do so, so after further investigation I've concluded it's actually a scam. Clever modifications done to make it appear as a full fledged project or rom hack.

For anyone who doesn't know, the creator of the Falco/Bomberman characters rom hack started his own project recently. At first glance everything appears legitimate since he has previously created custom characters in SSB64 by modifying their geo layout. However after further analyzing the video it's blatantly obvious the project is not what the video shows. It appears as if he's created an entirely new character skeleton, implemented his own moves, animations and behaviors. And made all of this into one single rom hack. However none of this is the case, probably because it would be too time consuming or difficult for him to do. As things stand the reason there was no release of documentation or the modifications made is because the rom hack is not what it was presented to Kickstart donors as.

(Here is my comment on his kickstarter video explaining how and what's fake/a scam, reference this when watching their video)
LIST OF PROOF THIS IS A SCAM AND NOT EVEN A REAL "ROM HACK" (It's just clever video editing, texture editing and an already known method of editing the geolayout of character models)
1:26 - 1:28 the cursors reset positions when he "presses L", it was far fetched to begin with that he would create entirely new characters and not modify existing ones.
1:48 - 1:51 He made the star rod invisible so it appears as if he replaces the characters attack with a different attack.
Entire Video Was was replacing existing characters with new geometry data. Conker is ness, geomon is mario, rayman is luigi, and banjo was Fox holding an invisible star rod. (Damage is exactly same as star rod) Ultimately this is a "fake rom hack" or rather not what he presents it as. You cannot play as Conker and fight Ness. Nothing here is worth 10k, not even 100 dollars. IT's entirely a scam to make money. Anyone with knowledge could do this, there just has never been an incentive to do so. However illegaly taking money for a scam is not an incentive to make a SSB64 rom hack, it's called greed. You're going to get sued and I'll make damn sure of it if you recieve a single cent for this. I will notify the entire Smash Bros 64 community that this is a scam and should not be taken seriously.

I will not be linking anything related to this rom hack here. You can google it your self. I highly suggest everyone report their kickstarter (scroll to bottom of kickstarter page, click the report button and login with FB/register account) as well as all of their information to Nintendo of America. I personally wrote an IC3 report on with all the information on the creators/owners I had.
"

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any particular reason why so many recent projects seem to find it necessary to make a buck?

To be honest, I wouldn't put much weight behind most the post's rationale, but it is very true that you can't kickstart a project using somebody else's IP. Copyright is copyright.

(If it weren't, a good chunk of you would be playing "Banjo Threeie" instead of "Yooka Laylee".)

They'd have to be careful with the "educational" card too. There are restrictions on reverse-engineering when compression is involved; you have to be very specific about how you claim that data is obtained.

Uufje
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know why on earth you would need $11,000 for a ROM hack anyway. Nintendo also has an itchy trigger finger about their copyrights, and this project has various IPs from other companies as well. I don't think the post linked above is direct evidence that it's a scam, but I won't be giving a cent to this. It would most likely be wasted.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
$11,000 USD Kickstarter for a modified N64 ROM project? That's pretty crazy. Hopefully it doesn't lead to any legal troubles for them, or any others who might get targeted as a result.

Let's consider this as legit and doable.
I'm confident it's underpaid considering the work that has to be done.

While it's a good thing to create something looking for no reward at all, as it's been proven that it is the kind of activity that motivates the most and it make people doing it happy (for REAL).

At the moment that's the way you're rolling with GE:X, but difficulty, both creating the content, or financial diffculties would be unquestionnable reason to ask the users to participate and give you something.
Even though I suspect every people interested in N64 theses days to be poor LOL

zoinkity wrote:
Is there any particular reason why so many recent projects seem to find it necessary to make a buck?

I bet on :
1/Life is tough as **** crap.
2/You can always make more

Beeing stuck in 1 is a decent reason to ask money for any kind of work. If people are really interested by your work, then they should want to really give something...if they could afford it. There are some projects that require way too much out of you for no reward afterward. It can make you suffer, so, well, you deserve reward in any kind if you make some people happy with it.
Plus what you're beeing asked to do to earn a living can be quite indecent for some of us.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This guy is doomed. As soon as I saw the ridiculous amount of money he's asking for something only half as impressive as Goldeneye X - except in a game franchise owned entirely by Nintendon'trecordfootageofourgamesplsYoutubers - I knew it was either a goddamn scam or the guy is too stupid to realise exactly how long this project will last before it's shut down.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After a fair amount of digging it turns out that this guy released some videos of Falco and Bomberman as playable characters in a modded version back in 2015 but was pretty much quiet after that and videos are too easy to fake so at the end of the day: a patch is proof.

There is a Falco mod available here by someone who literally appeared out of nowhere: https://smashboards.com/threads/falco-mod-1-01.436105/

but for the life of me I've not had time to try it - time is a constraining factor in life at the moment and I've not even had enough of it to sleep. It's an exciting concept and I do really want it to be true, but this isn't how mods like this come about - who can just sit on something and not want to brag or get the community involved to share the fun? THAT doesn't make sense.

Still...we shall see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: