ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

goldeneye plus perfect dark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XxSICKxX
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: goldeneye plus perfect dark Reply with quote Back to top

i was wondering if anyone thought of putting goldeneye levels and weapons and perfect dark all weapons and levels all in a game that would be cool

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah would be awesome if we could have Goldeneye X + Perfect Dark on a same rom. Maybe could be possible someday. I approve. I will make lot of slots available for custom mission and all.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds amazing but it would be impossible to get working on real hardware as we'd have to double the rom size.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You would need to be selective and sort of half and half the two games together. No way you could fit in everything from both. Would certainly be fun.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
You would need to be selective and sort of half and half the two games together. No way you could fit in everything from both. Would certainly be fun.

What would be great would be if you could transfer all of Goldenye X's multiplayer levels into Perfect Dark, so that you'd have exactly PD's multiplayer, but in Goldeneye's multiplayer maps (plus the additional maps, such as Citadel and Icicle Pyramid). You might have to overwrite the normal PD multiplayer maps (unless you can extend the rom size) but that wouldn't matter, as if you want to play PD's multiplayer with the PD multiplayer maps then you can *gasp* play an unmodified PD rom Very Happy

Wreck, if you're already very heavy workload allows for another project, then please consider this. I'd love PD with GX's multiplayer maps!

Edit: GMDX (the fantastic PC mod for Deus Ex) version 9.0 has been put back another month, so Perfect Dark: Spy School (or Perfect Dark: Assignment GX, or whatever PD with GX's multiplayer levels could be called) would pass the time nicely.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
Wreck, if you're already very heavy workload allows for another project, then please consider this. I'd love PD with GX's multiplayer maps!

I believe all you would have to do is export the setup, clipping and bg files and re-import them on an unmodified .rom in the properly named slots. Although I'm unsure if PD handles things differently than GE.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Issue lies with textures. You'd need to import many from GE, and then update the GE-X level background files to use the altered image IDs. Not a simple task for just anyone to perform, unfortunately. But those three mentioned files would get the maps running in Combat Simulator, although very screwed up looking, hehe.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, I don't think there's enough open texture slots to handle everything without making some hefty concessions.
As for extending the table in some miraculous way, texture ID lengths can't be extended by a byte in any practical way, and embedding textures causes problems when it comes to impact sounds and images (potentially lethal problems).

The only remotely feasible trick would be to designate a fixed number of volatile texture entries in the table, add a step when loading a level to copy a new table of texture entries here (to reduce additional code sifting through additional tables), then continue loading as normal. When the level is unloaded, the table extension also needs to be thrown out along with any images in that range that might still be in memory.
It's not a good solution though. Some of the logic for handling the table will change in a significant way. You're going to have situations where there aren't enough volatile entries, and probably more situations where you're wasting them. On one hand that uncomplicates level import a bit since the vast majority of the images can start from a fixed index, but overrun that and you're still dealing with global texture entries. For it to be a practical solution though all of the original stages should really be using volatile entries as well, and that requires revising all their texture IDs.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So you'd need to make it a hybrid of the two. Pick and choose the "best" from each and mash it all together into one ROM. There's room for more levels, but weapons and characters not so much. Music may also be an issue, since the instruments are different and there are only so many slots to use.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Issue lies with textures. You'd need to import many from GE, and then update the GE-X level background files to use the altered image IDs. Not a simple task for just anyone to perform, unfortunately. But those three mentioned files would get the maps running in Combat Simulator, although very screwed up looking, hehe.

Ahh, of course. I didn't even think about the textures lol
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldn't it be easier to use Goldeneye X as the base rom, and transfer Perfect Dark's weapons into that, and then you'd have exactly PD's multiplayer, but in Goldeneye's multiplayer maps (plus the additional maps, such as Citadel and Icicle Pyramid)? That would be fantastic!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Then you'd have all the GE characters, though. Which means a very strange mission campaign. If you could easily add extra textures to the end of the ROM, it would not be as bad. But that's given some users trouble, and doesn't seem very reliable. GE-X maps into PD still feels the best route to take.

My other project, Perfect Dark Plus, looks to do similar, but alters the original GE multiplayer levels to have a more PD appearance. Stack was released in the previous 2x Weapons / No Reloads Plus patch, and another map is near completion.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Honestly, I don't think there's enough open texture slots to handle everything without making some hefty concessions.
As for extending the table in some miraculous way, texture ID lengths can't be extended by a byte in any practical way, and embedding textures causes problems when it comes to impact sounds and images (potentially lethal problems).

Damn this is so annoying....
I just wished we could extend the IDs possible for textures to 5 digits. Sad
Adding the possibility to create unique table to ease the work would be great too. But I can only barely imagine the work needed to do so.
Wouldn't mind if you went through the trouble to add this as a feature.
Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: