ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Where can I find up-to-date tutorials for GSE 3.0?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FitterSpace
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you so much. The map has imported successfully. I didn't have a RoomPositions file and i think that was my problem. I almost gave up on making maps until i found this forum. Anyway, i'm going to attempt to optimize my maps before i start making any serious projects. I noticed there were a lot of triangles (i think they're called vertices, but i don't know for sure) on my map even on a flat surface. What is the best way to go about optimizing maps with just Hammer, Crafty, and GSE? I saw one guy on YouTube using XSI but that software doesn't exist anymore. Obviously Goldeneye is pretty limited compared to Half-life 2 (which i made some basic maps for that game before) so I have to take that into account when optimizing. Thanks for all the help. Are these forums the best place to contact people here, or do you guys also have a discord server? I'd be interested in talking to some of you guys about goldeneye mapping.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

FitterSpace wrote:
What is the best way to go about optimizing maps with just Hammer, Crafty, and GSE?

And THAT is the million dollar question. It is not easy, and why some in here have given up on Hammer and used other software such as Blender. The problem is Hammer's compiler isn't all that efficient.

I actually do it manually using the GE Setup Editor, but its tedious - VERY tedious, and you kind of have to know what you're doing. The method is basically to locate unnecessary bg tris, delete them, re-size nearby tris to fill in the gap, and then adjust the texture scaling values. In some instances its not TOO bad - like if a long wall is compiled into 2 rows of triangles instead of just one - you can delete out the entire bottom row and then adjust the Y-values of the top row to extend down to the floor, then adjust the texture Y-scaling. But making just one mistake can set you way back.

My most elaborate project using just Hammer, Crafty, and GSE is this - a 16-room map with full lighting effects:

http://breakingnewsfeeds.com/goldeneyehacks/padded-room.ips

It is not in its final form (I really need to get on that since its practically 99 percent done). Apply that to a GE rom and load Caverns in 2p mode. Also be sure to change your rom settings to: Recompiler, Change Memory and Cache, Mem size 4 MB, advanced block linking OFF, Counter factor 2, and the first 4 boxes under that checked.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I did a little digging and tracked down the 2009 free version of XSI:

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/xsi-mod-tool-601

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
Also, I did a little digging and tracked down the 2009 free version of XSI:

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/xsi-mod-tool-601

It has terrible FBX support and crashes upon loading animations from the editor. I don't know if levels fair better with that version.

I'd hate to say this but as XSI has been taken off the market, download 2015 SP2 from here and please PM me. I will guide you through installing softimage.

FitterSpace
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies. My goal with mapmaking is to make a full campaign with unique levels, but that sounds like it's gonna be really hard to do if optimizing one map can be that hard. So will I be able to use blender to optimize maps made with Hammer? I feel like that would be easier than using GSE to do all that.

To me it sounds like it's gonna take a few years to get really good at mapmaking. This is way more challenging than I thought it would be.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: error Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Everybody. I also got the error "Error reading bitmap" when I do "Convert .obj to Level Axes Swapped (if already added texture files)

My textures contains follwing:

Code:
011E waende.bmp
0118 boden.bmp
0120 daecke.bmp

Those textures are untouched exported files from the editor. what to do now?
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You sure they exist in that folder, are named that, and you aren't missing any bmps?

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I´m really sure. I also run as Admin, but that doenst matter. I really don´t know whats the problem in it. mhm

The error comes twice per .bmp file
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: