ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye VR test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye VR test Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, So recently i have been messing around with Unitys VR functionality with Goldeneye props and it has been going pretty well, i have not got the functions of shooting done yet but i want to at least try and make a test version of facility's 00 agent mission in VR.

TheMaskedMutant
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

interesting project Smile i love to see more of this

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jhirmer614, that looks intruding! Please keep us up to date on your progress.

I was sceptical about Virtual Reality as (a) I'm old enough to remember twenty-odd years ago, when big, unwieldy VR headsets were previewed and the whole experience was rubbish, and (b) 3D TV has never seemed to me to be more than a take-it-or-leave-it gimmick.

But then I tried it on my mate's PS4 (not even the PS4 Pro) with the Sony VR, and it's amazing. It's low resolution and probably low frame-rate (since it's just on a PS4), and the games weren't much good, but it was *far* more immersive than I'd ever have imagined. In one game, you're on a sort of rollercoaster, and when you go downhill, you feel it in your stomach, even though the only inputs are visual and audio - of course you're still sat stationary on a chair in real life, but your brain really is fooled into thinking that you're moving, which of course I've never felt with any other display system.

In another demo, I was floating above an auditorium, and it honestly triggered my acrophobia, even though I knew I was really safely sat in a secure chair on the ground. It really is fantastic how good VR is, and I am really hoping that for the PC, someone makes it possible for any games that use DirectX or OpenGL to be diverted to the VR equipment properly, so that any PC game or emulator made in the past twenty years can be played using VR. Half-Life 1, 2, and mods, Mirror's Edge 1 and 2, The Bioshock games, The Thief games (how immersive will they be? Shocked ), etc, and also emulated versions of Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, the Timesplitters games, Black, etc.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seem you become used to VR quite fast, and that so, it lost its magic.
But still, I'm gonna get something VR in a few years, I already have a 3D vision screen which I love to play with for more than 7 years now.

Hope it won't be too much trouble to improve it.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I HATE 3D TVs with Passion.... well, ok, Maybe not, But I do hate them Razz

They screw with my eyes and I see 2 images.

VR however is pretty cool, things can be "in your face" because there is no screen at a distance from you (Unlike 3D TVs where the TV is x meters away and yet the image is supposed to be on your nose, it just doesn't work for me.
It only works for me when things are further than the TV)

I did suggest to sub about adding stereo view to PG

Following images are 43 degrees H-FOV (so don't fill your VR otherwise you will be seeing it wrong) Made for Google Cardboard

Trev

Last edited by Trevor on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually a reverse-stereo would be the easy way as it requires no special equipment to watch, just a little bit of eye-training.

We made an entire short 3D movie that way because we were too poor to afford good equipment lol

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Virtual reality? very good!

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing that was really appealing about VR to me was the HTC Vives Room tracking. and looking at some of the weapons in your hand to scale with the "VR" effect makes me appreciate the detail that rare went into the weapons because they dont look that bad for being so few polygons

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with stereo-crossed is that you are limited to a max of 60' (which hurts) before your nose gets in the way.
equivalent to a 17" monitor at 1/2m with the stereo mage on it (Try with my images above)
This low FOV and crossed eyes doesn't give a true feel of immersion, only a 3D effect (like 3D TV's, its an effect and not realistic)

Your eyes need to focus normally to have a true feel of depth immersion, the images above are made for a Google Cardboard which is like standing in a room with a piece of black paper with a hole cut in it.
Through the hole its realistic.

With an Oculus or Vive, you can edit the H-FOV to 110 * and really feel your standing on the dam if sub manages to add split window with 1 camera 5cm left. (or both cameras 2.5cm left and right of common center)

* PG uses Vertical FOV so calculation would be required, assuming each eye has 1080x1200 and that the H-FOV is 110 (future models will increase to 150), V-FOV = (1200/1080)*110= 122

Trev

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
I HATE 3D TVs with Passion.... well, ok, Maybe not, But I do hate them Razz

They screw with my eyes and I see 2 images.

VR however is pretty cool, things can be "in your face" because there is no screen at a distance from you (Unlike 3D TVs where the TV is x meters away and yet the image is supposed to be on your nose, it just doesn't work for me.
It only works for me when things are further than the TV)

I did suggest to sub about adding stereo view to PG

Following images are 43 degrees H-FOV (so don't fill your VR otherwise you will be seeing it wrong) Made for Google Cardboard

Trev

Ooo this is cool, I'd love to try this out - is it available anywhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: