ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

What could be the config of a good laptop for modding PD ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: What could be the config of a good laptop for modding PD ? Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. I think it would be a good idea to produce most of the content I'm working on for Perfect Dark on a laptop. Lots of people confirm, as it happen to me, that I'm more productive outside my home, since there's fewer distractions and such.

So, I was totally not interested in hardware for a few years now, so I don't have a clue about it nowadays.

To create content, I have Photoshop, Deled CE (sometimes 3 session opened), Goldeneye Setup Editor, and about 10 webpage open (for photo reference and other things). So, Ram should be enough.

What's your point of view on the hardware that would do it without slowdown, and of course, the lowest price possible :p
Used stuff does count, since I think it is not needed to have a very powerful hardware to do that. Maybe Ram just need to be quite high after all.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly you don't need anything terribly high-end for what you're doing.

In the $250-$400 range, I would recommend a Lenovo T430 (14-inch screen) or T530 (15.6-inch screen) picked up second-hand on ebay. Recommended specs would be Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB of ram, and a solid state hard drive.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Yes for sure we don't need that much, but it is still better to gather advice. Last time I changed hardware, it took me way too much time and energy to compare myself.

Those models looks good for that use. Oh I forgot, there's going to be project64 running too, for testing purpose, but the 8 gigas rams should be enough I think ?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As a general rule, I recommend 4 GB for home users who are just doing web browsing/MS office tasks, and 8 GB for people who are using specialized software. Only really specialized stuff requires 16GB or more - but what you described would easily be done with 8 GB of ram. Just make sure that if you do go the used/refurbished route that the installed OS is a 64-bit OS since 32-bit versions of Windows only support a max of 4 GB of ram. Also be sure it has a solid state hard drive - that is an absolute must. I'd say 120GB or larger.

The OS itself is a matter of personal preference. I think Windows 7 is still the best modern OS available. Not a big fan of 10 myself (though to be fair, it took me a while to warm up to Windows 7) but you'd certainly be fine going with Win 10.

Lenovo's business line of laptops made between 2009 and 2013 (namely, their Thinkpads) are my absolute favorite laptops. Very well built, awesome keyboards, and great specs - especially the 2012-2013 models I mentioned in my earlier response. I've set many of these up for my clients and they all love them. They have decent onboard video cards too, scoring around a 6.3 on the Windows 7 Experience Score and over a 7 on both the CPU and RAM scores (all out of 7.9 max). Easily the best bang for your buck.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks very much. I manage to find some 430 at less than 300€ which is very good. But I have an issue with the hard drive, it's never an SSD.

So what about the os, considering that I have a legit version of Windows 7 64 bit for desktop. Will that work on the laptop ? Are there special SSDs for this kind of laptop ?

Otherwise, the company selling one at 280€ can make the replacement with an SSD but it cost 80€ for a 120go and 130€ for a 240 SSD. What would you suggest since you know what you're talking about.
Oh and sadly T530 seem very very rare. I wouldn't have mind a larger screen, but oh well, it will be ok with a 430 anyway.

EDIT: Oh god, lots of decent offers (but with windows 10 which I'm not found of too), but in Germany. That means, **** qwerty keyboards which I don't want to get use to. No thanks. Grrr

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
So what about the os, considering that I have a legit version of Windows 7 64 bit for desktop. Will that work on the laptop?

I can confirm that Windows 7, 64-bit works fine on this particular model of laptop. Your "legit" copy - do you have just a COA (certificate of authenticity) or do you have the install disc as well? If you have the install disc and the COA with the license activation code, you can install it no problem. If you have nothing more than a COA, then you will need to find install media that matches the install type (64-bit) and maker (Dell, HP, OEM, etc). As a general rule, if you install from an OEM disc, most COAs will activate fine regardless of whether it is a manufacturer-specific COA.

Quote:
Are there special SSDs for this kind of laptop?

Otherwise, the company selling one at 280e can make the replacement with an SSD but it cost 80e for a 120go and 130e for a 240 SSD. What would you suggest since you know what you're talking about.

Those convert to about $70 USD and $110 USD for the SSDs which honestly is a bit high, at least here in the states. It is not terrible though, but you could probably find a 120gb or 128gb SSD for $50 USD or a 240GB model for $90 USD. Not sure what the going rate is where you live though. However, that IS a bit high considering that you would be getting the SSD INSTEAD of the mechanical drive - considering that the mechanical drive in and of itself has resale value (probably $15 to $30 depending on the model), buying your own SSD would not only save you money, but you would then also have the mechanical hard drive that comes in the laptop you buy to keep as a spare or resell or whatever.

It takes a standard 7mm thick (most new drives are this thickness, some of the older ones are 10mm), 2.5" SATA drive (do NOT get a 1.8" SATA drive). In that particular model it is SUPER easy to install - 2 or 3 screws and that is it. Literally a 2 minute job.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good news then as I could then install W7 64bits, since I have a disc version with an activation code, really legit on top of that ^^ Not a version that is made for a specific type of computer. I was aware of that back then and prefered to pay to be safe for a long time. Glad I did that.

Ok, so basically, I would just need the model of the computer I need, and, very important, an azerty keyboard.

Beside that, I'm going to be able then to install my OS myself on an SSD I could buy myself.

Seem like it's as easy as it could be.

Thanks very much for the time you took, which made me gain some time, as I tend to spend way to much time investigating myself on this kind of thing.

Hope my first map will be available in a few months. It should be good quality, pushing things as far as I can, like I try to do when I modelise characters head. Stay tuned :p

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Happy to be of service.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Found a T530, 8go RAM, 32O HDD for 199€ that had a cosmetic default (a little plastic part on the outside is broken). + 140€ for a Samsung 850 pro SSD + 8.49€ for a SATA to usb adaptator to copy the OS.

So 347,49€. Can't wait to get it because right now I'm working with a slow as **** HDD and 1 giga RAM. Awful ^^

Thanks again bmw for the time I've won thanks to your advice.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very glad of it after 2 days of use.

Only thing I found really irritating was that CRTL and FN (function) were swapped. Hopefully they can be switched in the bios.

They've even made a post on their blog to explain why they did that. Answer : because we're dumb as ****, but let's pretend we're not. Here's a bios update so you can switch if you are the one who is dumb. LOL

It was especially annoying for everything, be it playing PD/GE with carnivorous 1964 version, or DELED CE which require a lot of CTRL use.

Thanks again BMW.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: