ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mirror Mode Mod...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Mirror Mode Mod... Reply with quote Back to top

Some of you may remember the Mirror Multi patch I had released a few years back (has it really been that long?). Well, I had also been working on the mission campaign, but between hitting a few snags and progressing with GoldenEye X, the project got placed on hold. Just recently, I looked back through my notes to see what all needed to be finished. Within around two weeks time, with some assistance from SubDrag and Pavarini, everything else was completed. So now the entire game has been mirrored, and can be downloaded from the GoldenEye Vault for your amusement... or frustration.

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=341

Some notes about things...

Most objects have been mirrored along the X-axis. This ranges from crates to cars, satellites to safes, and even the tank. Doors already have an option to mirror them within the setup, so they required no physical changes to the model files, only to the pads. Drone guns are another matter, as they needed to be mirrored along the Z-axis. I ran into some trouble with the heavy gun emplacement from Runway, though. I came up with another method for it, which was altering the texture U/Vs and RGB to simply appear mirrored. The wheels on the Jeep and Military Truck were left alone, with only the bodies being changed.

Monitor screens were not flipped around, but all associated screen textures were. I remember there being an issue with the screens not appearing if only the object screen was inverted.

Setup files were updated with tools SubDrag created for me, which means they maintain their original format. The only changes were made to pads, and other manual adjustments to mirror doors or remove animation uses by the Pirate Helicopter in Frigate and Statue (which are both uneccessary and problematic when attempting to alter it).

Background files and their clipping were totally inverted. Some portals ended up needing to be flipped around, but all should be fine now. If you happen across any that aren't, definitely let me know. There was a long standing issue with one in Dam, but shifting the door very slightly appeared to correct it.

Going forward...
If anyone would like to use a mirrored level for a custom mission or multiplayer map, you are welcome to. All I ask is you at least give credit to the original Mirror Mode from where content was taken. You likely won't need to use mirrored objects for anything, but may have to adjust doors so they open in the proper direction. Other minor pad tweaks might be neccessary, depending on what all you are using from the mirrored setup.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're a crazy guy, Wreck Laughing

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, thank you. Wink

Rareware made a mirror mode for Diddy Kong Racing, and it was a nice way to re-experience all the courses again. If nothing else, this could give players another reason to play through the mission campaign one more time.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I welcome a mirror mode better for GE than I do for racing games.
I just hate it and, beside Mario Kart, never play Mirror mode because I reject the concept. I think it's just confusing and no fun at all (for racing games).
I was so very glad they didn't do it for F-zero X and worked on the random X cup instead.

I suggest for all the modders of the original maps to make them starting from now on that mirror rom to see how it feels.
I admit I find it hard to be excited about custom missions using those original maps because when you know the level perfectly, you're still playing something very familiar. That mirror mode may be the best thing that happen to the people creating custom mission on original level. Let's see.
Meanwhile, I'm working hard to come up with custom maps, but I suffer a lot creating them :p

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for this mate, I'll be playing it when I get home.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, before anyone asks about one for Perfect Dark, it'd be a bit more complicated, especially when it comes to the cinema scenes. The cameras would require updating, as well as animations. Unlike in GE, PD has many animations that are coordinate based. They take place at exact locations, and not just relative to the character position. So even if levels and objects are mirrored, cinemas will appear very broken until all that stuff is updated.

Combat Simulator is more likely, but don't bother holding your breath. Make sure an ambulance is en route, should you choose to. Wink

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah there's no need to bother with multiplayer content. I don't think anybody wait to play in mirror PD maps.

Oh while we're talking about cinemas in PD. I was wondering today how are the weapons that Jo is holding works.

For example, at the end of datadyne Escape, she hold a falcon 2 scope. Where it that setup ? Inside cinema file or elsewhere so changing that weapon could be possible for example. Just curiosity as you may think, it's way to advanced at the moment for me to play with cinemas. ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: