ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye's 25th Anniversary...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
One month away from twenty... Shocked

YEEEEEEAAAAAH!

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
One month away from twenty... Shocked

You must be wrong. There's no way it's been 20 years that I discovered this game an afternoon, when we gathered and played videogames with friends.

I was 16 back then. To know that I lived more years with the N64 beeing released than not, is something very disturbing.
I remember waiting for it for so much time, plus France was the last country served (one year later than the whole Europe).

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Happy 20 year Anniversary!

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone has the exact release date for Europe and Japan ? I found different date while googling.

Happy birthday Goldeneye, and good job again to the whole team who did it.

I think the setup editor is awesome enough to have its release date celebrated too, when was the first version released ?

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

23rd for Japan and 25th for the rest of the world AFAIK.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Happy 20th! Very Happy

I still can't believe I have been visiting online message boards looking for and adding on GoldenEye related content since 1998. It really doesn't even feel that long ago that we started getting more levels to work in multiplayer, that we discovered Citadel, or created a full-feldged editor. As they say, "Time flies when you're having fun". So it's no surprise it seems like just yesterday.

Like AL64, I also thank Martin Hollis and the entire team of talent responsible. Too many movie-tie-in games are rushed out pieces of trash. Not only is this one sitting way up at the top of the heep, it also stood out as an incredibly strong console first-person shooter. A feat that, nearly all titles before it, fell apart on. Plus, it still resonates as the best James Bond game ever made. Those are some pretty nice accomplishments. I sincerely hope the team looks fondly back at it, and recognizes just how important it was (and is) to the gaming industry and gamers around the globe.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh... YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! GoldenEye 64 20 Anniversary!!!

GoldenEye Forever? NO! GOLDENEYE 64 FOR ALL THE ETERNITY, FOREVER AND EVER!!!

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

graslu wrote:
23rd for Japan and 25th for the rest of the world AFAIK.

Very Rare then, to have a worldwide release like that. Reason why I had trouble to believe it. I don't remember seeing the game in stores before mid-september, but N64 release in France was chaotic. We had stores importing German consoles for a while since Nintendo France did a messy job.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I may be wrong, but I'm sure that the PAL version came out later than the 25th. If it was released on the same day, surely the MCM amongst other things would have remained in the PAL version?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No to mention the intro cameras in Frigate in widescreen that was fixed. It required more work, so a later release would make sens. Question

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't hold me to this, but I thought I had read someplace (maybe even here) that the three regional versions were, near the end, worked on separately. That may explain why each one has different fixes made to them. How the mines explode, intro cameras (fixing one in Frigate, adding more in Silo), no hunting knives, body armour availability, etc. Some minor tweaks were made to various action blocks in missions, such as Train (for the ending sequence in the last car). If they did all get released within two days of each other, which I also find a touch hard to believe, that might explain the differences.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't we have acces in some way of the time the build was done ?
I believe Subdrag gave them for Perfect Dark, but I may be wrong.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GoldenEye was and is an impeccably designed game. It successfully transferred a PC-centric genre onto consoles. It faithfully reproduced a movie scene-for-scene. Large maps, objectives, and vastly different weapon types gave it tons of depth and replayability. And most importantly, the core gameplay formula hit an absolute sweet spot that is fun for both short and long periods, super easy to pick up, but also filled with nuances that give experienced players room to grow.

Although the framerate, resolution, blocky characters, and imprecise, arcadey controls do date the game, it is by no means unplayable today. The gameplay formula still works, the art style is easy on the eyes, the music is is clear and catchy, and the weapons, stages, and presentation are all still way cool. There's also a beauty in its simplicity. It isn't bogged down by mid-level cinematics, hand-holding, busy graphics, or a complex moveset. It gives you room to breathe, to experiment, to play your own way, something it seems only open world games know how to do any more.

So, to the foundation of home console first-person shooters, to one of the most addictive multiplayer video games ever, and to a legitimate cultural milestone - we salute you.

P.S. Just how cool are the Moonraker Laser and AR33? And Paintball Mode? And the Bunker 2 theme? And little things like the watch menu, death cinematic, and crosshair? Razz

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Classic...

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

The Extremist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This guy gets it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: