ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldfinger 64 Released!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I'd like to share some first impressions, opinions, and point out some issues that could be fixed in later releases. Please take in mind that this is either completely subjective or just meant as constructive feedback! And in any case, I had a blast playing so far because of all the new things there were to discover Smile (I think I’ll update this post as I continue playing!)
(LATER EDIT: I've now played the entire "normal" campaign, so not the bonus levels yet).

++(Some) mostly positive impressions++

> The presentation overall is amazing, mostly thanks to the incredibly high level of detail in some props and designs and faithfulness to the movie. From the changed menus to the different colour of the wrist watch, these are all small changes that give the mod a whole new feeling.

> The new music is excellent and has either a strong link with the movie or the level it's used in. The Mexican influence I heard in Bodega (I think?) really improved the level's atmosphere, for example.
(On a side note, this level really reminded me of Perfect Dark, which would normally have put me off a little, but so far, it's definitely my favourite level!)
(After having played through the whole standard campaign, Bodega still is among my favourites, however, the China level was excellent as well, so those two now take the top spot). I know Alps isn't finished yet, but even then, its concept was very unique and I found it very fun to play.

> Most of the new weapons I've found are really fun to use, and it's great that they have been changed to fit the proper time period as well. I especially like the Colt, which must be relatively powerful in-game as far as pistols are considered, right? My only nitpick is the reloading sound, but that’s completely biased because I don’t like PD that much, so no real negativity there Smile
The only weapon I'm a bit unsure about is the MP40, and especially its major role in the later levels. It appears to be an extremely inaccurate gun, from what I can tell, so it feels weird to not being able to use it effectively against guards that are firing from quite some distance (capture, ranch, hideout, and knox all have this issue), making your pistol the best option for long range.

> The cutscenes are an extremely nice addition to the game (when compared to the original GE), as they help to create the feeling that your actions in the levels itself are really advancing the story. From Jill being painted in Gold to the industrial laser, these have all been done wonderfully.

-- Negative impression(s) --

> Actually, my only real issue with some of the levels I've played so far is that they're sometimes simply a little too large, for my liking. I’ve read this in the description on Goldeneyevault as well, and I can definitely understand why. They are visually impressive and give a great sense of scale, but sometimes, this causes problems for me, gameplay-wise. In the very first level, it's very easy to get disoriented when you are walking in between the Silos. They are wonderfully designed on the inside, but the field they're positioned in feels a little large and empty. Still, it's not that big of a deal. The bodega level doesn't have this problem (which is why I like it so much Razz ), but the Miami hotel level does, to a certain degree. Once again, I appreciate the level of detail that every little corner seems to have (the diver having some funny dialogue for example), but these "corners" are sometimes just a little too far from each other. I somehow missed the key for floor 9, and if you forgot a crucial item in such a large level, it's easy to just give up. Once again, still, it was manageable, after a little searching (and watching the scene from the movie again!) I figured it out. However, the Shipyard level is where things got really problematic, for me. I found a gold sample, and I found what seems to be a stack of gold bars, but aside from that, I've mostly been getting lost because everything looks very similar, at least during the first time you play the level. I literally wandered for half an hour through the level and kept stumbling across guards I had missed. In such a huge level, with so many different small spaces, trying to find those small items is almost like looking for a needle in a haystack. I get that this fits the theme of the level, but it doesn't really make for a fun experience, in my opinion.
(Thanks to previous posters for pointing out the locations of the items though!)
After having played through the entire standard campaign, I can definitely say that the overall layout (either being too large or a bit confusing) is the only problem I've had with some of the levels. Ranch and knox are definitely among my least favourite levels because they have so much emptiness in them. While the club level is wonderfully designed in its visual aspect, it feels a little too much like a maze to me.

** Bugs and issues **

MINOR

> In the Miami hotel level, there's a line of text that doesn't fully appear on screen. A woman asks to "rub some lotion on her b(ack)," but this last word goes too far off the side of the screen.

> Also in the Miami level, Jill points out that Goldfinger’s last draw was an 8 of hearts, presumably referring to the moment in this scene: https://youtu.be/8kDdIL0tSeI?t=2m13s
However, I think the text mentions his last “draws” instead of draw.

> Again in the Miami level, it’s possible to have the door to the 9th floor get stuck for a while. If you make a lot of noise before entering the door, a guard will try to come out and consequently block the door from opening, meaning you have to shoot him as his arms and face briefly come through the door, which can be difficult to do.

( > Finally, I’m unsure about this one, but it’s not really that important either: Goldfinger’s actions are a bit weird when you do happen to shoot him in the Miami level, he briefly shoots you, then runs away, but as soon as he gets shot again, he completely stopped running. I guess this doesn’t matter, since the mission is failed anyway, but I don’t understand why he doesn’t just act similarly to Ouromov in this case, and keeps running no matter what).

( > Equally as unimportant, but during one of the missions where you have to overhear Goldfinger and Ling in Geneve, these two just walk out of the building without any action other than walking. They don't react if you walk into their line of sight, which is a bit weird and takes away some of the immersion).

MAJOR (only one, lucky enough)

> In the Shipyard level, I believe around the area where the large stack of gold is located and some body armour, there are some pipes (all of these things are on an “elevated” area, which appears to be a boat or something). However, I think there is an issue with the clipping in and around these pipes, as I fell through them when I was walking through them. I’m not sure if this is a one-time issue or not, but afterwards, the level was acting weird and Bond didn’t really “walk” on anything anymore, resulting in the level becoming unplayable.

Anyway, that’s all for now. Thanks again to the whole team for making such a fantastic innovation in the GE modding scene, and I hope many more improvements can be made in the future!

Last edited by SilverEye on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 am; edited 3 times in total

doctornull
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I'm really eager to play this but I'm struggling to get it to run either at acceptable framerates or without visual glitches on various emulator setups I've tried (on windows 10) - does anyone have a recommended emulator setup for this, or should I really just be using everdrive?

PenumbraSix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
Records are on the top floor of that hangar where lots of trucks are in.
Gold is hidden inside red cargo boxes that can be open. There's a lot of them on the boat.

Now I'm stuck on a golf club, it says I have to slap richardson but if I do it's mission failed. If you wait, he runs and it's failed too.

Thanks for the help!
Now to return the favor; When you open the door to the lockers (under the stairs in the main hall type room), use the gas item in your inventory and throw it in the room so he doesn't notice you. He'll be knocked out successfully!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright Wreck: Goldfinger:X when?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Blasing those gards in close environment rooms with blood splatter would be nice.

Thanks Wreck. I hope for a release soon. Before christmas. Possible if you don't slack. Thanks.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope everyone is enjoying the fruits of much, much, much labor (and fun).

There will be bugs, unfortunately. Wreck made a herculean effort in the end with testing, but some bugs slipped through the cracks (like that Shipyard clipping is a nastier one). Zoinkity and Trevor and myself also tested what we could and fixed what we found. There will only be a patch soon if there is a major gamebreaking bug (like a certain level can't be beaten cause of it). Otherwise the next release would be finalizing the three solo unfinished levels (and any bugs found in this release) at a later date (no date as of now).

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After all these years! and the game looks amazing! Sadly I dont get any sound when starting the First mission on the Everdrive. hopefully that can be fixed i really want to play on the Everdrive

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Check the option menu and you'll see sounds are at zero, and everything else is set wrong (like display ammo is off).
That is because there's a problem with the save. Did you force Goldfinger to save with a 4kb savefile by editing save_db.txt on your save folder ?

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YAY RELEASE

Also, the mod is OK but i feel it has its problems.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any guide for setting this up on 1964. Specially, Carnivorous edition?

I got it semi running, but it crashed constantly in the first level.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak wrote:
Is there any guide for setting this up on 1964. Specially, Carnivorous edition?
You may be using the previous version which I disabled some recompiler options for 24MB GE romhacks. Newer versions have rewritten the TLB gamehack that 1964 uses for GE which will allow 24MB romhacks to play without tweaking the recompiler. Try updating to the newest version.

For those who wish to use the HD font pack with GF64, copy GOLDENEYE_HIRESTEXTURES.dat in \1964\plugin\cache\ and paste as GOLDFINGER_HIRESTEXTURES.dat

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you.

Got it working now. While some things have been questionable so far (the music needs some overhauling, and some of the texture work could be better)

Some parts do look nice. I really like the shine-like effect on the weapons, and parts of maps like this look really nice.

Overall, I'd suggest the following:

* Reduce the amount of empty space on maps, this was rather notable in the first level. Second level had some lack of enemies, but it was far better. This could be done by adding things like walls and such.

* Levels are a tad maze like, and sometimes repeat far more than it needs. Maybe cut them down for smaller levels.

* The colour choices on the textures are mostly very drab. While GE used a lot of grey, there was different colours to add in. Seeing cream coloured guards in maps that are mostly cream and grey makes the eyes want more.

* There was some parts of maps where I could feel way too much polygons were used, pushing the engine. (The buildings near the end of the first level were pretty bad)

I'll add more once I finish it. But to me, it looks like the first few levels were made while learning how to make maps and levels, but it slowly gets better as more and more knowledge of editing was made.

EDIT:

Is there any way for a custom save so it's easily set up like GE/PD for 1964 with mouse aim on 1.2 with widescreen already set?

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak wrote:
Is there any way for a custom save so it's easily set up like GE/PD for 1964 with mouse aim on 1.2 with widescreen already set?
Copy \1964\save\GOLDENEYE-usa.eep to GOLDFINGER-usa.eep

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Saw the demo on Glenn Plant's YouTube channel this morning. Good job folk!

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After looking at how this hack looks on console. Other than the first level, it looks pretty fine. So I take back the visual complaints.

I assume graphic plugins just can't handle it as nicely as a real console. Gotta get an everdrive sooner or later to play it on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: