ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The topic of VAULTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: The topic of VAULTS Reply with quote Back to top

Here we talk about everything concerning the mission "vaults".
    How you're struggling on it.

How much you think Wreck lie when he says he did it on 00agent

How you managed to beat it on 00A and what's your time

Last edited by AL64inthedark on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LMAO Laughing

It is a really good challenge. It took me a handful of attempts to complete this mission on 00 Agent mode. Dealing with Oddjob isn't so bad, but getting into the vault door lock control room, and then protecting MacLeod while he disarms the bomb, is no easy task. I think I asked SubDrag to include an additional 1/2 vest armour someplace, after I had completed it. Not sure if it did get included for the release. If it did, you're all welcome. Razz

My completion time was 04:45, but that was the only time I beat it. An earlier attempt had me killed with eight seconds left on the bomb timer. For those who have beaten this mission, you will know just how much a kick in the crotch that was. I was seriously ticked.

The few guards toting shotguns can be brutal, so use major caution when approaching them. Grab the armour. It's a huge help. Keep the baddies away from MacLeod. You see one getting into position to shoot him, he becomes your main priority. And don't let Oddjob get in much damage. You can beat him with little to no health loss, so abort the mission if he has hurt you too badly.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Incidentally, it turns out that because of the length of Oddjob's gun and the way gunfire works, one viable option for the first part is to simply press against him, aim down, then slap him silly.

It's still a lot easier to beat than Control ever was, that's for sure. Pretty sure one floor (or a side room?) does have some BA too unless that was taken out in final release. I know I picked some up for sure.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah there's a body armor but it take 1.5 shot until it wears off. I found only one atm.

At the moment I think its more tough than Control. It's more predictable with the enemy spawn, but they're more accurate at the same. (the deadly 2XMP40 guys omg)
I like the setup that was done, it's challenging but quite predictable. The geometry is looking good and very accurate with the movie. Retrying it doesn't feel like a pain, beside maybe the amount of health oddjob have in his first state, and well framerate suffer, as expected when you see what there is to display.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For fighting Oddjob, just press against him and empty clips into his face until he runs to the first floor, and keep doing that until he runs to the fence.

For the path to the vault door switch, guards can't shoot over the gold bullion or even the pallets it's on. If you get overwhelmed just stand behind one of the gold bullion stacks and gun down all the guards while they try to run all the way to you. It's even worth attracting all the guards in the final hallway to the nearest gold bullion room to do this trick. The only reason this part is otherwise difficult is because the guards have superhuman reaction speed; take away the benefits of that and you can easily clear them all out.

For defending the bomb, go to the third floor catwalk right next to the elevator shaft, or the second floor catwalk where the armor spawns. The enemy guards can't ever get a shot at you if you're vigilant, and MacLeod's personal guard will actually kill most of the ones who try to make their way from the ground floor up to you. Just focus on protecting MacLeod and his guard, and only take shots at the guards coming after you when MacLeod isn't about to get targeted ( easy to tell because the guards that target him are the only ones not running straight past him to the stairs ) or the guards that actually managed to make it all the way to you.

If you're crafty and exploit the clipping you can easily do the entire mission on 00 without getting hit once.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cheater. Razz

That really would take a lot of the excitement and stress out of it. There's a certain feeling being right there in the thick of things that's an important part of the experience. Staying well out of the way and attacking from a distance on another floor spoils that. But hey, if it helps to unlock the cheat or progress further, I suppose. I just hope people play it again afterward, on the bottom floor in the middle of the action.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps, but there is a certain level of enjoyment in beating the level design itself rather than the level as intended. Deconstructing the game and figuring out a creative strategy rather than the one laid out in front of you is not only a fun puzzle to solve, but teaches you more about game design and how to exploit-proof your own creations. I'd actually encourage people to try to come up with these strategies rather than just taking what a game gives you, it's more fun than it sounds and makes you a more creative thinker.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to stop this particular strategy from being viable: If Bond isn't on the first floor or the stairwell just have all the guards go after MacLeod or his guard. Set up the bomb so they can shoot over it, and have them target him from all around the first floor rather than from 2 positions right next to him. This means you can't completely protect MacLeod from anywhere not on the ground floor and will be forced to stick it out in the middle of the action.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I designed this setup and I fully support Entropy Soldier's strategy. We exploited the hell out of the original setups, why should mine be any different? (But yeah, in hindsight, there should have been a Bond-Macleod range check. I blame the amount of difficulty I had in getting his personal guard to not instantly blast down every enemy in sight or be completely worthless for that oversight.)

Anyways, I completed this a buttload of times on 00 Agent in my intended way on the ground floor, so it's definitely doable. I think Sub and I got this one tuned very nicely in the end. I put it through so many iterations. Has anyone been crazy enough to try defending Macleod with the hat yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: