ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Is it possible to import a GE map to another engine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Is it possible to import a GE map to another engine? Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering this.

Is there even a import/export for maps on the editor? Didn't see anything like that.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To export maps, open the visual editor and switch to room position mode, then right click the background and click export full level scaled to obj. To export with vertex colors, change the save filetype to FBX.

As for importing, someone else will have to chime in with details as I've never done it before.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you. Got it working pretty right.

Now, I assume the opposite conversion can be done? FBX to GE? As I might try some map-making myself sooner or later.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Used Bunker1 as a size reference. This map isn't done so far, but it's suppose to be a manufacturing plant for where Silo gets it's stuff.

The massive space on the outdoor area is because it'll be used for seeing outside through a window.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak wrote:
Now, I assume the opposite conversion can be done? FBX to GE? As I might try some map-making myself sooner or later.

Yes you can, but I don't know how to import FBX rooms.

Looks pretty neat so far.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you!

Need to add some more textures and UVs, as they're in a very rough state right now.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've made a plugin for blender that imports/exports "GE64Obj" format, which is obj format with vertex lighting data that Subby Wubby's editor can read. It's also got a few other fun features like auto-generating texture preset files if you include an entity with the right setup.

It doesn't yet have all the features that it needs to justify releasing it, but if you're having trouble with FBX format just let me know and you can be one of the first to test it out. Map is looking pretty suave so far!

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be glad to test it out. Just PM me it if you want.

Yeah, I'm trying to learn how to at least see how far I can push the GE engine, as when done, I want it to be around the same quality as some PD maps.

I'll be hard to do, but I think it's possible.

Just some more fixing on the UVs and such. I'll may try to overlap textures to add more detail without adding any new textures internally.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Saw that my thread sorta derailed into one about talking about a map.

Anyways, I shall return to talking about exporting maps to other formats.

Would it be possible to convert from GE obj to BSP format for Goldsrc games? As I remember seeing a post showing a GE map in another game like that awhile back.

As there seems to be some sort of BSP tool in the editor, but I have no idea if that's the same format.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fillerthefreak wrote:
Would it be possible to convert from GE obj to BSP format for Goldsrc games? As I remember seeing a post showing a GE map in another game like that awhile back.

There are OBJ to BSP converters out there, but they will require clean up as it will produce a lot of brushes with clipping issues. You would be better off to import the level as a model and trace around it in Hammer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: