ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Dam [Map]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still confused about all this. With every single other level, I have not encountered problems with the sky and visibility. The maps are all scaled to 1.0, but the data for visibility and fog remains the same. Why Dam is causing issues, I have no idea.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Minor update, so 7718 might just be the magic number, I'll have to test later tonight - but while I've access to hardware I'll update a few shots with my current tests.

Simply squishing everything closer, and trying to maintain the island size. This one can't seem to get everything close enough:

A quick and dirty forced perspective which has got the entire level within what I think are the view bounds. A little tweaking (and correct setup!) and this might just be acceptable:
[/img]

The solution, in the end, could be an artistic one - it'll give me the opportunity to cull some polys too. I'll update this post once I've tested a few more view distance numbers on actual hardware Smile

EDIT: Testing things on actual hardware I wanted to try numbers like 7D00, 7E00 etc. but for whatever reason it'd appear that the numbers failed to write. 7718 however, WAS the magic number, with the forced perspective edit maintaining visibility from all points on the dam. It could be noticeable when standing on the towers and looking at the island with the snipers rifle, but for the better part it's the way I'm inclined to work towards. I'll see about warping the texture surfaces and perhaps even adding in some faux fog to give the impression of distance (because that level is FOGGY). More in a few days I guess Smile

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the island looks pretty good even up close. I don't know this, but as long as the basic journey of the mission where Bond has to walk is not sacrificed or reduced, it seems to me that it will be the best thing to keep from the mission.

The idea of the portal for the island seems to me a good solution perhaps better than having to use the motorboat because it would have to make the water walkable for it and then Bond could then walk on the water also in this way and it is unrealistic aglo.

and certainly as one more idea for this level. How would you like to set up the truck at this level so that Bond can climb up to the back and ride in the vehicle while it is running?

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I think we've finally got a solution!

Using an accurate forced perspective here has (in my opinion at least) created a pretty good representation of what the Dam did look like, while the view distance is just far enough to support the entire level as it originally was. Astute users will notice the parallax and realise they're looking at a really close really tiny building but at its heart it's all there.

I might look at cleaning this up as there are a couple of errant verts, and a few portals that don't align correctly, and then send the files through to Wreck for incorporation into the final project Smile

Screenshot: A few angles of the island, and the view down the Dams face - both of these are forced perspective. Note that I've turned the handrails off as they were using an opaque texture.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vey good job, MRKane!!

Looking forward to see the final thing. Very Happy

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, right on!! Hopefully this can spark developmemt once again for Goldeneye X!

Great job, MRKane!

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Aside from a few pesky graphical glitches it works just fine on emulator (one place you look into and out of then back into a room through portals - it doesn't like that), but there is one issue, and that's where the clipping causes the player to "sink" into the ground sometimes.

Does anyone know why this "sink" problem happens - is it the nature of the tris, or the colour of the clipping, or the arrangement of poly surfaces? I've not managed to figure it out yet but it's part of the "necessary polish" to get this thing done and dusted!

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a feeling I have experienced that "sinking clipping" before but I'm not sure if I was able to fix it and how.

Have you checked that those clippling tiles are set to 'walkable'? It's the only thing that comes to mind.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, not sure why that is happening. Like Sogun suggested, make sure all the floor tiles, ramps and stairs are set to "Walkable" type. If not, there can be problems. Clipping might not be as complicated as GoldenEye connection-wise, but there are different types and flags you need to set so it functions correctly, and allows AI to see / fire through railings, grating floors, etc.

My attention has been diverted to another project, I must admit. But we'll try and get out another patch by the end of this year.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Latest revision tested, and here's where we're at:
-Glitches appear to be resolved
-"sinking" tiles seems to be because the importing on the editor decided they weren't walkable
-Still cannot get textures working
-Will export the door from the beginning and combine it into the level BSP

And then I'll flick the files through to Wreck for integration at his leisure Smile

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'm pretty much done. Does anyone (besides Wreck - you'll get a pm) want the level files for the Dam to play with?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Available for beta test.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know how to import levels? Have fun with this, and if anyone can figure out the textures I'd love to know! Also: post screenies of any glitches you find as a description doesn't paint a thousand words Wink

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=02284632171503717988

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This looks great cant wait to see it up and running, been looking forward to seeing dam in GEX for a long time. great work!
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is Dam gonna be a miultiplayer map? It would be awesome! How long till the next patch? It can be a small patch because I just want Dam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: