ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye Setup Editor Feature Requests List/Bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 105, 106, 107  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What about power settings? If it's a laptop, does it shut off the HD? Is it every time, as soon as hits screensaver and comes back it's gone? Even if not wait a while.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is their power settings https://i.imgur.com/DDFABgw.png

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like hard drive turns off after 10-20 mins. If the hard drive doesn't shut off, (like screensaver after 5 mins, then come back), does it still crash? I think it may not be compatible with that.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No it doesn't crash when the screensaver is on for a minute, only longer. So it is probably related to the hard-drive.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It may coincide with the HDD shutting off, but I also think that its because as a minimised application windows swaps its memory out to the swapfile (or in windows 10 - compresses it), then when you re-open visual directx looks for the open handle and aborts when it cant find it immediately.

if there was some way of delaying the abort this may fix it, however I think this issue is more common than anyone ever realises except most people don't minimise games for long periods therefor don't notice.

Trev

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
A user has given me a error report. If the visual editor is left in the background for a while (e.g: minimized or screensaver), it will crash when restored. Could you take a look into this as well.

Oh, I've seen this, too. It happened once when I un-minimized the Visual Editor. Then it happens more often when I wake my computer up from Hibernation with the Visual Editor open. I'm on Windows 8.0, if that matters.

... or, I'm misremembering and it's the other way around, lots of crashes when unminimizing.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This has been something I have known about for a while, but have not gotten around to mentioning it. This first affected GoldenEye X, and can be seen in some GE custom missions. Due to how the Editor arranges the objects by type in ascending order, some items which are meant to be stacked, end up not. The best example of this is the bridge bomb in Frigate. Because the object type of the bridge controls is 0A, the plastique is ordered before it. This means that the game will not recognize that the bomb should sit on top of the bridge controls bounding box, and ends up on the floor. Silo has the same issue, for the circuit boards that are resting on the top of tuning consoles.

I know the Editor can include special circumstances, such as monitor racks (Type 0C) coming directly before the attached monitors (Type 0A). So I don't know if something else could be rigged up that user can control which allows choosing the partner object (like if viewing the plastique, can pick the bridge console from a list), thus placing it after the chosen one on export. This may complicate 16-tags and other references, unless can be set to compensate.

I doubt this has been a big enough issue over the years to be worth digging into, as you can usually get around it by other means, but it may explain some weirdness seen in game that does not match what the Editor shows.

Example:
An object (say a keycard or briefcase) might not appear on top of a computer type object with screen(s), or on a gas canister. You could use In Air to make it appear on top, but destroying the "base" object may keep the other one floating in place.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
This has been something I have known about for a while, but have not gotten around to mentioning it. This first affected GoldenEye X, and can be seen in some GE custom missions. Due to how the Editor arranges the objects by type in ascending order, some items which are meant to be stacked, end up not. The best example of this is the bridge bomb in Frigate. Because the object type of the bridge controls is 0A, the plastique is ordered before it. This means that the game will not recognize that the bomb should sit on top of the bridge controls bounding box, and ends up on the floor. Silo has the same issue, for the circuit boards that are resting on the top of tuning consoles.

So, you're saying that's why I have a keyboard that refuses to sit on top of a table? I'll have to take a look into that sometime...

But, is this related to why weapons don't stack on top of tables in Pd? I don't think I've ever gotten a weapon to sit on a table. If there were a flag for it, I thought I'd find it by now...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your keyboard may actually be because the object number is earlier in the list than your table. You can try either moving the keyboard in the list (03 Type) to be after that specific table, or delete it and stick in a new one. I had this same behaviour while modifying Bunker ii once before.

PD is very weird when it comes to weapons sitting on tables. I had the same issue in GE-X, and found that it was the bounding box (min/max dimensions) determined within the weapon model file that was to blame. If the gun is too skinny, it refuses to sit on top. The Phoenix is a thicker weapon, so it is fine (the secret one in Area 51). I duplicated the PP7, KF7 and D5K models, increased their bounding box size a bit, and they worked fine.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
PD is very weird when it comes to weapons sitting on tables. I had the same issue in GE-X, and found that it was the bounding box (min/max dimensions) determined within the weapon model file that was to blame. If the gun is too skinny, it refuses to sit on top. The Phoenix is a thicker weapon, so it is fine (the secret one in Area 51). I duplicated the PP7, KF7 and D5K models, increased their bounding box size a bit, and they worked fine.

... D'goh! You said that in the other thread! I should really pay more attention...

Oh well...

In other news, has anyone reported the duplications in the drop-down lists of the 39850 menu? In almost every drop-down list now, each option is listed twice. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I've never tried saving with a duplicate selected. It could be dangerous!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When it did happen to me, I think it was when either loading in a new ROM or saving one. Then afterward some of the selection boxes would become duplicated. The Challenges menu is which I remember most. Been a while since I paid attention to it, and my Editor is really out of date. The multiplayer page also springs to mind.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Duplicate comboboxes should be fixed now - missed that when optimizing so 39850 should load much faster.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
When it did happen to me, I think it was when either loading in a new ROM or saving one. Then afterward some of the selection boxes would become duplicated. The Challenges menu is which I remember most. Been a while since I paid attention to it, and my Editor is really out of date. The multiplayer page also springs to mind.

In truth, the duplications got worse with each update, spreading to other "comboboxes" like an infection...! Hopefully, it will have now made a full recovery. (Thanks!)

Something I've noticed in the Visual Editor for awhile, when right-clicking a monitor and hovering over "Screen," it always shows screen 00 as checked even if it's something different. It seems to be okay in GoldenEye mode, but I know it's not good in Perfect Dark mode.
Screen values show up correctly in the Object Editor, though.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I fixed the screens, guess they're not used a lot, and I hadn't noticed were still set to GE offsets.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your fixes seem correct. Looking good.

Hm, I'm noticing a lot of errors in the various action block descriptions. Instead of listing them all or asking you to comb through all of them, might I propose I do the tedious work of fixing up 45,000 bytes of text? I would limit myself to only fixing typos, inconsistencies, and grammatical weirdness, as well as making minor edits for clarity when necessary. My text editor will be Notepad++, which maintains line breaks. I could send the files through e-mail...because if I use MediaFire, I'd have to warn you about its pushy ads and obnoxious, nefarious pop-ups.

So, how about it? Mind if I touch up the two main actions INIs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 105, 106, 107  Next
Page 21 of 107

Jump to: