ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Just finished Goldfinger 64. (A review)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Just finished Goldfinger 64. (A review) Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this mod was pretty fantastic to be honest. I've went through every level on 00 Agent with not a single walkthrough to make the first time experience feel new and spoiler free as possible.

Each level will be reviewed one by one, so here we go.

Cartel: 4/10

I get it, gotta follow the movie, but god this level was just awful, I did like the idea but the size of it was just way to big for my liking. I enjoyed it non the less, but felt like it dragged on a little to long. The music is pretty nice through.

Bodega: 8/10

Level quality was way better in this map compared to the Cartel map, I truly enjoyed this level and felt this made me want to continue playing the game further. The music is also quite wonderful.

Miami: 6/10

Neat level, didn't get lost but it felt like once again it dragged on forever. A lot of the rooms looked the same and it just honestly got boring. It was nice to see the first day time mission though and I loved walking around and see random people talking. It was alright but honestly wouldn't truly play through it again.

Shipyard: 8/10

Oh boy, this level was pretty dang great, I enjoyed how it was designed and how much there was to explored. The music was eh but otherwise pretty nice. It was pretty enjoyful to play through it.

China: 8/10

I really liked this level, it was nice and well designed and I didn't find a single thing I disliked about this map. Everything pretty much went smooth and I had loads of fun going through this one. Also to be honest the music in this one reminds me of something from Crash Bandicoot, but it just might be me.

Club: 7/10

A pretty alright level, I also nearly died in this one as I was playing through it so the difficulty felt like it went up a bit here. Level wasn't to hard but going through it can be slightly confusing since I at times lost where I was going. Otherwise it was an alright level.

Grounds: 5/10

This level was pretty boring to me. I didn't really enjoy playing through this one. Due to how large this level was. There nothing really much to say besides that.

Airport: 0/10 (Unfinished)

As far as I know, this map is a place holder. But I'll review it either way, I hated that every texture was the same, I got lost constantly and honestly it started to put a strain on my eyes. But I got through it and it was just bleh. I was thankful to beat it as fast as possible.

Alps: 5/10 (Unfinished)

Well this was an interesting map. I'm surprise driving a car with tank controls felt pretty alright. Very short mission though and I didn't really care about it either way.

Foundry: 6/10

Well I felt like I was on this map far longer then I should've been. But it was a nicely designed level, granted I did feel like I got lost a few times due to the fact that I kept running in circles till I got my bearings straight haha. It was a good level non the less.

Forest: 8/10

Well now this felt like a good outdoor level. I am also quite surprised how smooth it felt while playing through it due to all the trees in the map. Granted I was playing this on a 1964 64FPS Emulator, but was still surprise non the less. Level felt pretty great and it honestly brought back that Jungle vibe from Goldeneye. Pretty well designed level.

Capture: 6/10 I liked this level and did enjoy it. But I felt it was pretty much empty. There was also a gigantic warehouse with literally nothing in it. It just felt so unused. But it was an alright level. Also the ending of this map is just perfect. Really I couldn't believe how flexible the ending of a mission can be designed till I saw this.

Prison: 8/10

I truly enjoyed this one a whole lot. I mostly went around slapping all the enemies just to save up the bullets for later enemies haha, very well designed and enjoyed my whole play through of that mission.

Ranch: 3/10

I'm starting to catch onto the fact that outdoor areas aren't this mods biggest strong points. But non the less, I was playing through it and finding myself sighing and getting just bored of this whole level. I tried my best to rush through this level just to see what the next level had up next.

Hideout: 5/10

This outdoor map wasn't to bad to be honest. I did get lost a whole lot once again, but I did enjoy it either way. I also notice the enemies being a bigger threat here as well since as soon as I shot my gun next to the big building with the radio com in it. I alerted a bunch of guard and a whole lot came after me. I barely survived but it was quite fun.

Knox: 1/10

Okay, yeah this map is god awful, it's WAY TO OPEN and normally I love huge levels but holy crap this level is just way to much. Sure I could run straight and destroy the vehicles and go straight to the bank. But seriously I didn't enjoy this mission at all. I got lost constantly, enemies shooting me out of no where and I also disliked that there was quite a bit of visual issues as well like guards just vanishing and coming back. And gun pickups going away or the entire map just vanishes and I would have to walk back just to make the map visuals come back. Horrible map to be honest.

Vaults: 7/10

Well this was quite interesting to see how the boss fight went. Oddjob wasn't so bad but I did manage to lose quite a bit of health due to the boss. I liked how he exploded as soon as I press the button though haha. Besides that, it felt like every enemy was able to hit me the second I saw them. Litterally felt like Aztec but way harder. I got pretty lucky to make it through this mission. Besides the big jump in difficulty, I had loads of fun playing through it. Granted I died a few times due to how precise the enemies aim was.

Plane: 8/10 (Unfinished)

Well, this level was insanely short, I got through it pretty easily and the guards didn't really put up much of a fight. the map was designed pretty well though and I loved the music in this one as well.

SECRET LEVELS

Crab Key: 9/10

Oh boy, the map design for this one is top notch, I enjoyed exploring this map. Going through the big vault doors and crawling through the vents. Everything in this map felt pretty perfect. The music is something I really enjoyed. Like I really loved this level theme.

Island: 10/10

So the very last map that turned out to be an outdoors map. I was very tired of the last couple of outdoor missions I've played through, but to my surprise this turned out to be my favorite level. Granted this comes from my favorite Bond film of all time, but the level design here is fantastic. Every turn felt like each area wasn't too open but open enough for me to explore, run and cover from guards and never felt like I got lost either. This map turned out wonderfully and the music is literally perfect. This was pretty much my overall favorite level from this mod.

So like, this mod is pretty great. I had loads of fun playing through this. Sure some of the levels in this game was alright, but it was pretty great non the less. But the real question is, would I come back and play through this mod again? Probably.

I truly think this mod needs loads of updates and fix ups to make a second play through worth my while. I also feel like the levels should be tweaked up and mess with. Because honestly I just felt like a lot of places in this game were pretty empty, drab or had little to no point going to. I did enjoy exploring through, even if I got lost many times in most of the outdoor missions.

Pretty much my only hated level in this mod was Knox, that level can be thrown in a fire for all I care. I believe that's the only level that comes to mind that should be scrapped and redesigned all over again. But that's just simply a opinion.

The music on the other hand, it was the weakest part of this mod. I enjoyed tunes from some of the maps but otherwise, I felt quite annoyed by some of the songs in this game. But it did feel like that the music felt like it kept getting better as I continued going through the levels especially when I reached the last 5 missions in the game. Granted, I understand what the composer was going for. Due to what era this mod was set in. But I feel like a bit more polish is needed on a hand full of these songs to get me rocking out to them as I play through the missions.

The guns in this game was actually great, I love practically every gun in this game. The new sound effects for the new weapons also sound good, granted a bit of them should be tweaked a bit since they feel a bit off in my opinion.

I also should mention the briefings for every mission. They're all fun to read before I start the mission. Litterally every briefing I read just felt like they came from that character perfectly. Always love reading Q's and Moneypenny parts.

I would review the Multiplayer portion of this mod, but I've yet to gather up a few folks to play through all the multiplayer maps. But when I do I might add an update to what I think about the maps for Multiplayer.

Either way, in total this mod gets a 7/10 from me. Great game, felt like an actual game made by Rare to be honest. Truly enjoyed through the end. Hope to see more mods like this in the future!

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree Shipyard and China are good maps. I'm only done with half the game so can't comment on 2nd half.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What bugs me about Shipyard is the cargo crate doors that you can open aren't easily enough identified. If we get a chance to release another version I'll make a model with some door handles or something on them to make them more identifiable Smile

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
What bugs me about Shipyard is the cargo crate doors that you can open aren't easily enough identified. If we get a chance to release another version I'll make a model with some door handles or something on them to make them more identifiable Smile

Besides looking a bit brighter, handles would be welcome in my opinion because I actually went through the whole mission without realizing I could open those up haha. I was actually wondering (Where are the gold bars at?) Otherwise, it is fantastic level non the less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: