ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE-X 5e Patch Released! @ 12-24-16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be frank Dam runs poorly (at least when I tested it) but I probably didn't optimise etc. still, it'll probably run like a dog even with co-op because it's too heavy. Dam was either the first map the team made, or their magnum opus.

Thinking about it as a multiplayer map: it'd have to be sorted out and cut down, with sections folded over, extra paths added, choke points removed, and pretty much the whole upper Dam section cut out due to performance issues. In the end it would be a totally different map and bear little resemblance to the original bar the name. Would I do that? If people demanded it and Wreck was ok with it, but it still won't be the same map.

As a mentally quick mock up this is what I'd be talking about (thinking of the first area only) inherently similar, with the same features, but all twisted to provide pathways necessary for good "map flow". It doesn't even include the rest of the dam area and it's already pushing 8.8K faces.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Though Dam might be fun as a Multiplayer map I don't think we should even consider it until it's running as smoothly as possible on Solo.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The issue with the different screen types (CamSpy, Slayer, IR Scanner) is entirely the fault of the emulator. They all render correctly on console, and if you use the proper settings and graphics plugin. I think Glide64 (not sure which variant) works best. I did include notes in a readme text file within the zip folder.

Replacing the repeated Hallucinogun means we need other weapons to use. Currently we do not have any.

If SubDrag gives the OK to allow some GF64 content to be used in GE-X, it still requires porting. No different than GE -> PD. That takes time and patience to do.

All 30 Assignments and the Preset Matches are updated to use the new weapon set format. There were three Assignments and one Preset that used all six slots, rather than the first five and one disabled. I may need to test those better, as it is now impossible to match their previous arrangement. I doubt it will make a big impact, but things will be in different locations than you may have gotten used to.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there no way to make the dam part of Dam less laggy? I'd love to play snipers only if it was only the top of the dam.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not while retaining all the other parts of the level. She's just too heavy on the polycount - I'm also not convinced that my model will be suitable yet.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it the total polygons or the on-screen polygon count that affects the speed?

Is the problem the dam section of the map? If so, is it the actual dam or the background? Presumably the background could be simplified but I guess the dam itself may be more difficult.

Gamma
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just feel like if you wanted to make a comprehensive GEX mod that is one for the ages, you would include Dam FZ. It is the big part of the legacy of Goldeneye. Alot of you have your own opinion that it would not be fun, but I have the opposite opinion. I think it would be blast. It is a playground of obstacles with all kinds of cool places for firefights.

I have a couple questions for Wreck/and GEX team.

How many multiplayer levels is the max allowed in the engine?
And does modifying the dam sky make the actual dam in dam lag less?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can surely optimize things in the background, beginning with easy stuff. Removing certain details, such as decals (signs, stripes, grates), and simplifying pieces of architecture. But depending on the original design, you can only do so much. Like the "dam" portion of the Dam. It is constantly bending, so I can't see great chances to reduce polygons there. Dam is also messy when it comes to how all the rooms are connected, with a spiderweb of portals. It was an ambitious level, trying to capture the attention of players. First impressions, and all that.

For multiplayer, you can have quite a few levels. I don't have a full count handy, but here are some numbers. The "MP" designated stages are 20. Rare used maybe ten of these. There are others used by Combat Simulator from the main list, probably around six. That's a minimum of 26. There are likely others still unused by the mission campaign. Each stage should have its own sky and memory allocation. So there's a pretty good amount of levels you can have in multiplayer (should the select list be extended).

I have not played around much with the sky to see performance change. But the sky affects the whole map, so cutting down the visible distance would also have an impact on the tunnel section.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Gamma wrote:
How many multiplayer levels is the max allowed in the engine?
Im new to this but my understanding is that there is no hard limit to the total number of maps (irrespective of whether single or multiplayer) however you eat into other data.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can use the "Mission" stages in multiplayer, since a Ump_setup file exists for each. However, the background and clipping need to match exactly, and you'd need to share the pads (object placements) between them. This could potentially cause issues in scenarios that place the briefcase or hacking terminal and uplink, as they go to random pads. Should you close off part of the level (think of Facility, Archives and Caverns), there is a chance one of those items could spawn outside the allowed area, thus forcing a restart.

If you were making a multiplayer only mod (no mission campaign), you could have a lot of levels. Probably around 50, maybe?

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
If you were making a multiplayer only mod (no mission campaign), you could have a lot of levels. Probably around 50, maybe?
Wow, 50? I had been thinking about what to include or exclude from a "Golden Dark" mod but presumably if it was MP only you wouldn't have to be discerning. Presumably you could therefore have all 27 maps and all 61 guns. Or would all the textures take up too much space?

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always wished Rare had released a second Perfect Dark game for the N64. I don't mean a completely new game, though that would have been wonderful. But a completely new game would have taken ages, and almost certainly would have been impossible within the N64's commercial lifetime.

The game I wished for was an Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 style game, a multiplayer-only game, where the single player game was a series of matches against bots, as in Quake 3 and UT. I mean, this wouldn't have taken too long to design and make, since most of it was already done in the original Perfect Dark game. Rare already had the weapons, the ingame-sounds, the game types (Combat (deathmatch), Hold the Briefcase, Pop a Cap, etc), the graphics, sixteen arenas, the music, etc.

All Rare would have to do would have been to create some more arenas, maybe a couple more game types, maybe add a few more weapons (and definitely make the Goldeneye weapons work in the multiplayer!), fix a few bugs, add a full set of multiplayer match trees*, and so on. Alright, so that's not a trivial project, but it would only have taken a few months, and surely the finished game (which could be called something like "Perfect Dark Arena") when released would sell massively? Perfect Dark's multiplayer was critically and popularly loved by just about everyone, and an expanded version released as a standalone game would have been a definite hit.

* I didn't much like Turok: Rage Wars (the only N64 Turok I didn't think was much good) but I loved the way that, when you played as a given character, then your were present with a 'tree' (a branching sequence) of predefined matches (each one with it's own settings re: the arena, the game type, the the numer of bots, etc). This could have been included in Perfect Dark Arena, to give the 'single player campaign' (such as it is) some focus and longevity, if say each character had 99 (or 999!) predefined matches that you had to fight and win in order to complete that character's journey and unlock another character to play as.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Weapons are something entirely different, as that has various tables of data, which may not easily be extended. You also require the RAM space to store all the weapon blocks (main chunk, function, ammo/reload, animation microcode, etc), which adds up quickly. Plus, some tables are in ASM files, and changing them will have you fighting compression constantly. Model files are also in short supply, though I guess you could borrow the low definition versions that are used in 2P+ matches and coop. May have an impact on performance using the single player guns, however.

So you can have many levels, but characters and weapons are not as easy to increase. Textures will eventually run out by adding them to the end, and you don't have a lot of options replacing unused images in PD. The monitor screen bank is maybe the best area, since a lot are never used. Since you need to switch out characters for others, replacing their textures is very beneficial. Just be sure they are not shared.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, are there still plans to release a new version of Goldeneye X in the near future, or has that been put on hold for the time being?

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of, what did we decide to do for the grenade launcher animation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 44 of 64

Jump to: