ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

High quality game assets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Resident Evil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: High quality game assets? Reply with quote Back to top

just a though but can flash carts such as the 64Drive and Everdrive64 make ROMs bigger than 512? If so I was wondering about Resident Evil 2 as many of the in game assets had to be so dramatically compressed that things like cut scenes, back grounds and audio had that unmistakable over compressed feel about them. I assume that the cart size was the biggest factor in this and if more space was available it would be possible to use higher quality assets. If a larger game cart could be used how difficult to replace these highly compressed assets with slightly more pleasing ones?

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

no, the N64's power was the issue.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what the maximum capacity of an N64 game cartridge truly is - 64MB was the largest ever used commercially, but I'd imagine that using paging, it would be exponentially larger. Certainly that's the case with a flash cartridge, where you can load data at will from the SD card, and so the maximum upper limit of the data capacity is the capacity of the SD card you're using.

So an N64 game could be 4GB in size, or 16GB, or 32GB, etc. The only limitations would be the loading speed from the SD card (which is much faster than loading from a CD or DVD), and of course the other hardware limitations of the N64, and each different make of flash cartridge would need separate code (written into the large N64 game) to be able to read from that flash cartridge (i.e. loading from an Everdrive 64 requires different code from loading from a 64Drive), but once you have the loading routine codes then you can use them in as many game as you like.

Zilog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That could be an interesting project . Thinking about it people have already converted 64DD games to run on the Everdrive along with the game cart data.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Resident Evil All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: