ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Help with adding new textures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Diddy Kong Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caladbolg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Help with adding new textures Reply with quote Back to top

Could someone explain how I would add new textures to a level? Or the "Image tools" window in general? I've been able to replace textures with my custom image, but the colors get completely changed in the editor.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I only have experience with GE and PD, but maybe it's because the background has its own vertice colours? If you go into Room Positions mode in Visual Editor, you should be able to right-click somewhere and find something like "Open Vertice Colouring Dialogue"? Then you'll have a paintbrush cursor and can set the colours on the background model.

Though, I also don't use it much, so I may be entirely wrong.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you mean when you've imported your custom image that it comes out looking different inside the Image Tools menu? It may be related to the type being imported as, or the image itself. It prefers bitmaps, and should usually be 256 colours or less (unless greyscale, of course). I know GE/PD have a whole bunch of different options, which can cause the image to come out looking wrong if it doesn't cooperate with the type. I have also noticed that the colour pallette likes to round each individual colour (red, green and blue) to the nearest 0 or 8. Resident Evil 2 does the same, so it must just be how images are utilized. This can lead to some changes as the Editor updates them. The replace colour option in something like Photoshop can help a lot there.

Caladbolg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Do you mean when you've imported your custom image that it comes out looking different inside the Image Tools menu?

Yeah, exactly. The image gets imported, but the colors are different from the original.

Quote:
I have also noticed that the colour pallette likes to round each individual colour (red, green and blue) to the nearest 0 or 8. Resident Evil 2 does the same, so it must just be how images are utilized

I think this might have something to do with it. I tried replacing a texture with another pre existing texture and it looked fine, but then I copied that texture and exported it using GIMP and the colors were off once imported into the Image Tools. So I'm doing something wrong when I'm creating the image, but I'm not sure what.

Also, what does the "0" in "0 RGBA" represent?

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The reason colours round to a multiple of 8 is because the palate is 16bit
(there are 32 different shades of R G and B = 32768 possible colours)

many of the selectable features in PG image tools are advanced and users should generally be able to import a 32x32x8 bmp without issue (I beleve 24bit bmps are automatically converted to 8bit with apropriate palate chosen)

Trev

Caladbolg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That was indeed my issue with the image being imported wrong. I was exporting my image with a 32 bit palette instead of 16. So now I can replace images with my own and it looks exactly how it should but if I try to write the changes to the ROM it says it's too big and that it would go past the end of the ROM. My image is the same size as the ones already in the game. What could be causing that?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Import some 1 x 1 images or something to beta unused textures to make room.

Caladbolg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The texture now shows up in game! Thanks for the help!

Although they're weirdly translucent. If there is an object behind the wall, you can see it through the texture. What's up with that?

sixty four
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Caladbolg wrote:
The texture now shows up in game! Thanks for the help!

Although they're weirdly translucent. If there is an object behind the wall, you can see it through the texture. What's up with that?

Stumbled across this once or twice, you may of figured it out by now but, make sure you're importing the image as a Type Flag 10 also. This solved oddly translucent textures for me. Hope it helps anyone. This fixed it for me twice.

Edit: I wanted to add a note that all transparent textures don't have Type Flag 10 selected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Diddy Kong Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: