ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fixing old Goldeneye hacks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I'm getting a random crash during the finale of Abandoned Streets. Had it once when the screen was fading out at the end of the level and had it again the second the alarm went off and I got Objective A completed. I'm thinking it either has to do with Father's AI or the finale Guard's AI messing up somewhere at the end.

Edit: Yeah, Alfredo Lamberra's Hoth(in) level is all kinds of screwy. For my first run I killed all the guards minus the computer guard, grabbed the key for the door, backed the files up on the PC, destroyed the PC, grabbed the test sample, commenced lockdown, and ended the level. In doing so the door worked but I failed the mission because I didn't grab the test sample though I clearly did.

In my second run I killed all the guards including the computer guard, backed up the files on the PC, destroyed the PC and, grabbed the key only this time the door would not open for me at all meaning the mission was impossible to beat.

My third and last run I killed all the guards, grabbed the key, opened the door with the key, ran back and killed the computer guard, backed up the files on the PC, checked to make sure the door would still open and it did, went back and destroyed the PC, checked the door again which still worked, grabbed the test sample, and in the end I still didn't get objective C.

So either way you either can't beat the mission due to a locked door or you can't beat it at all because Objective C fails to complete. I also noticed that the objectives on the mission review page differ from the ones that show on the watch in-level so either some objectives are switched causing the game to freak out or something is up with the objectives in-game that are getting themselves mixed up with one another.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, seemingly random crashes are the trickiest to sort out, as so many different things could be at fault. I didn't run into any crashes after my edits to Abandoned Streets, so that is really odd.

I can take a gander at that other mission, as it sounds like you may need all missions unlocked in order to progress further. Most people play via emulation, which usually already has a completed GE save ready for use. That's why the majority of custom mission patches don't unlock them all by default, since during testing they are all open right from the get go.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Updated the info for Alfredo Lamberra since the hack works on console despite the glitch in Hoth(in) which fixing isn't the goal of this thread.

Only real issue now is the one on Abandoned Streets.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just tried the Beta Conversion IPS patch, but the Editor won't open the ROM in the Game Configuration menu. I get a "Not 1172/1173/1F8B0800 Compressed" error message, and then it crashes. I used both a regular and byteswapped base ROM, and it comes out the same way each time. Normally I could try to rebuild the ROM using the included files, but in this case there has been a lot of other changes (text, sky, memory, etc). So at this time, I am unable to tinker with this one.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So what's going on with the rest of the hacks? I assume you're busy with other projects/life, Wreck?

I ask because I'm getting back into testing today.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Cradle mods I can likely put out a simple fix, which will correct the crazy background issue. Testing to help performance is a whole other ordeal.

The beta conversion ROM refuses to load in the Editor, so I can't do anything about that until whatever it is gets addressed first.

If Abandoned Streets seems to crash almost randomly, that's going to be difficult to track.

Multiplayer I have not tested as of yet.

Should you run into issues with the any of the newer missions, let me know. Be sure to check out everything in the watch menus, such as objectives and picked up inventory. If you can try to recreate any crashes and list the offending area or anything you found suspicious, that would cut my time down dramatically.

Oh, and make sure you have the newest version of each release. I know some authors have issued updates.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Small note for future updates. I have Block Fort in the Vault Compilation Pack I am putting together, and realized it was one of the maps that wouldn't load on console. After trying a bunch of different things, I think it was the memory allocations. Mostly the -ma (dealing with background data) being too high. However, I did make some other changes to the one in my current ROM (scale, object bitflags, etc), so I will need to test on the original patched Block Fort ROM tomorrow. Hopefully this may help a few of the other levels, as well.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been able to fix Block Fort, Block Fort Upside-Down, and Almond Temple. In these cases, the primary offender was the -ma memory (relating to background data) being too high. Yes, that's right. When too low, it can possibly still load, but experience blackouts (rooms not rendering). Too high and it can crash. Maybe it is overrunning into other vital data. Anyway, that and other edits were made to help improve things. Almond Temple also had leftover portals from the background it replaced, which could have been problematic. Once updated on Vault, you can read the details.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good to see work being done on these again, definitely going to get back into this very soon.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Few more done. Donut Land, Chaos, and Paradox (just cleaning it up). It usually comes down to only a handful of possibilities for multiplayer maps, which is helpful. Missions have so much more going on, it takes longer to sort them out. But I do fear some maps will still have trouble on console, especially if you have 3 or 4 players participating.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fort Plastro has been fixed / updated (though some strange things can happen with the clipping), and both versions of the Compound are running on console (complete with the custom E-S logo on start up). I still have minor edits to make to Paradox, to align portals, clipping and BG in the center area, but it does work fine already.

Edit: We can tick Testing Area and Cuba Multiplayer off, as well.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awww, thanks for getting the dinky E-S logo, and my multiplayer map of course, to work on console! I'm honored that it was worth the time. That thing is pretty old these days, but it certainly brings back memories.

I was actually looking into fixing up compound for that eventual release of my ~multiplayer map pack~ before the end of time and wow, it's crazy how much work ended up going into it. Cutting it up into the different rooms caused that weird portal bug to appear where you can shoot through geometry in a room that's between the room you're in and the room your bullet actually hit, so I painstakingly placed a ton of boxes inside the stuff you could shoot through. And that pretty much happened everywhere because of how the map is designed and how I split up the rooms. Luckily the map holds up pretty well enough outside of a few dinky textures because I don't think I want to go through setting that up again.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No problem. I'm more than happy to help get these custom missions and multiplayer maps running on console - even those that are over a decade old. It's kind of fun trying to dissect the primary offending issue. There have been enough different ones to keep things interesting.

For your E-S logo, the two issues were: no image listed in model header (zero also set for it in 21990 model details), and improper alignment. Certain things need to begin on a 0 or an 8 (as opposed to 4 or C). The display list for sure.

Ah, so that's what those stretched out wooden crates under some floors were for? I wondered about that. I ended up turning them invisible, since at certain angles or distances they could be seen fighting through architecture.

Oh, I fixed the railing, as well. Didn't see anything else that needed immediate attention.

Still looking forward to your map pack one of these days! Razz

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I have made some improvement to Sogun's Rainforest map on console. It seems to run more stable, but there is still lag. With so many trees, it hurts performance. I have rescaled the map and adjusted the sky block data, etc, but not removed any objects. It may still crash when pushing it.

However, I ran a test with all trees deleted from the setup, and it resulted in something interesting. I decided to include this version in the patch, being called Country Hills. I am also now considering removing all trees that Sogun has set to not load for 3 & 4-Player modes, and making that yet another variation for people to try. This gives people a chance to choose which version they like most.

Now, Cargo Ship by EternallyAries...
Frigate is already hard on console. Any small changes can lead to graphics errors. He has a wide variety of props thrown around the map, which not only eats up texture memory, but adds more polygons on screen to slow it down. The background data memory -ma would need boosting, as blackouts occur as is. I'd either need to delete a whole bunch of stuff, or attempt to use the Expansion Pak patch to see if that will help at all.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alrighty, I tested out Rainforest, with all trees that were absent from the 4-Player loaded setup , completely removed. It performs much better, which is anticipated. The original has something like 317 trees in it, while the optimized version has 124. That's a huge difference, and certainly improves framerate. So this version replaces Caves, and brings three options in the patch.

I have been tinkering with the Counterstrike pack, and it has become more stable. At this time, with the tests I have conducted, only one map has been crashing sometimes. Now, it is entirely possible others can / will, but it hasn't been occurring at the frequency of the previous release. I have also locked out "Crash" from being selected, so no one can make the mistake of selecting it, or Random trying to use it.

Edit: I found the main offender in Dust2Long. There was an invalid pad (0000) being used as a spawn point. It was set to all zero coordinates, based outside the map location. Must have been accidentally used, and would cause the level to crash whenever a player attempted to begin there. I will comb through the other maps to see if anything else sticks out. Hopefully this will result in a stable pack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: