ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Kept control of Elvis on Escape A after Jonathan dialogue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dugg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Kept control of Elvis on Escape A after Jonathan dialogue Reply with quote Back to top

I scoured these forums and The-Elite's as well as Google for hours trying to find if anybody has mentioned this or done it before and didn't find anything.
But please excuse me if I am mistaken.

The other night while messing around on Escape Agent, I was spamming Elvis down the ramp to where you place him before getting Jonathan to say "good work, Jo, we need to meet up".

I was just trying to get on top of the hoverbed and see if I could do anything interesting. Anyway, I got bored and started spamming Elvis down the ramp again but was pushing him against the walls too instead of just in a straight line, and when the doors opened I somehow spammed him against the wall, triggered Jonathan's dialogue but Elvis then bounced off the wall and back into Joanna's grasp!

I have never heard of or seen this happen before and I bought PD the morning it was released in North America. (not that that matters because I took about a decade off from playing again until it was released on 360 lol)

So I took Elvis back up the ramp and towards the cryo-chamber but he got stuck in the little room before chamber. I could not move him afterwards.

There is more to the story but I'm trying to be brief. I've posted 3 threads so far since I joined today and all of them are lengthy posts!

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When this happened, were you able to carry the hoverbed with B, but not push it on its own? I'm guessing the game skipped the unsetting of the carryable flag when it was told to yield to next action block. I've had the game skip a command once before. It may be a rare, random emulation issue.

EDIT: Or, maybe I misread what you said 'cause I'm a birdbrain. It's possible the game released the hoverbed from your grasp, but you managed to re-grab it just before it unset its bits. And it got stuck before the chamber because you needed to press B to open the doors. In that case, it may be a frame-perfect occurrence.

For ease of access, here's the action block in charge of that sequence of events, presumably from version 1.1. It yields just before unsetting the bits on the hoverbed and just after forcing the hoverbed from your hands.

Code:
Action Block 1005:

000204 Resume If Return Value Loop Met 0002 (04)
   0003 Leave The Routine, But When Return Continue From Spot
   00EF0000DF06 If 16-Object in Room #, Return Value Loop (Room: 00DF) (Area 51 Elvis on hoverbed)
   000104 Go To Beginning, Then Return Value Loop 0001 (04)
000206 Resume If Return Value Loop Met 0002 (06)
   00A100008000 Set Objective Bits (00008000)
   00D300 Turn off Sound in Slot 00D3 (00)
   00AE0D08000000 Unset Tags 2 for 16-Object (Area 51 Door)
   00AD0D10000000 Set Tags 2 for 16-Object (Area 51 Door)
   00710D20 Unset Lock 16-Object Door (Area 51 Door)
   01ADF8 Player Lets Go of Hover Attached Object (Joanna [player 1])
   01190000000002 Unset Tags 3 for 16-Object (Area 51 Elvis on hoverbed) [Allow Carry]
   01190000000001 Unset Tags 3 for 16-Object (Area 51 Elvis on hoverbed) [Can Be Pushed]
   00B6 Reset/Enable Cycle Counter
   00CDF8481281530403 Display Text Preset and Play Sound (Joanna [player 1]) - Good work, Jo. We need to meet up...
000208 Resume If Return Value Loop Met 0002 (08)
   00BD00012C06 Check if Cycle Counter > Value, Return Value Loop if so (00012C06)
   000108 Go To Beginning, Then Return Value Loop 0001 (08)
   00B6 Reset/Enable Cycle Counter
   00CDF8481381540403 Display Text Preset and Play Sound (Joanna [player 1]) - Use the maintenance hatch I've opened...
000209 Resume If Return Value Loop Met 0002 (09)
   00BD00012C06 Check if Cycle Counter > Value, Return Value Loop if so (00012C06)
   000109 Go To Beginning, Then Return Value Loop 0001 (09)
   00A100000004 Set Objective Bits (00000004)
   0005FD0000 Jump To Function (Guard [whatever called it]) (JAL TO: 0000) Do Nothing (Ends Routine)
0004 Terminator

dugg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly I don't remember exactly what I did with Elvis after Jonathan's dialogue started. All I know is I was surprised that Elvis stayed in Joanna's grip when I pulled him with me out of the room.

Did I let him go and re-grab him again after this happened on the ramp?
I can't remember.
I most likely kept hold of him though.

Times like this I wish I recorded it. Silly too, because I had Amarec open but I just wasn't recording. And it's difficult to re-produce because Elvis is obviously locked in place 99% of the time and I have to restart the mission over and over which gets annoying. Save-state would be ideal!!

I should add this in case it matters:
I had cheats on (in-game cheats, not gameshark. My gameshark was on the floor beside console).
Invincibility/Cloaking Device/Inf. Ammo/Rocket L/Xray Scanner/Farsight.
All I did leading up to this was turn on cloaking at the start of mission.
Ran past the tranq guards.
Spammed Elvis down the ramp about 10 times trying to get on top of hoverbed.
Shot a rocket at the brown hangar door.
Then went back to spamming Elvis but out of boredom just spammed him against the walls down by the door.
I was probably cloaked when this happened and I can't remember which weapon I had out at the time.
Would any of these affect what happened?

I appreciate your reply and the knowledge you provided! I still try to get a recording of it but as you say it's probably super rare.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jerwayne wrote:
Would any of these affect what happened?

I wouldn't think so. None of them seem like they'd create a lot of lag, which is the only thing I'd guess would make the occurrence more likely. And, it sounds like you're on console, so I'm definitely inclined to believe it happened because you managed to re-grab the hoverbed before it was made immobile.

And so we're clear, when you say "spammed Elvis," do you mean you were rapidly pressing B or just bouncing him off the wall?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose it could be possible that he grabbed onto the hoverbed at the same moment the action block was running through the changes being made to the object, and it allowed him to keep hold. Unless a fairly consistent method is determined, than this may be a one in a thousand tries type scenario.

dugg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:

And so we're clear, when you say "spammed Elvis," do you mean you were rapidly pressing B or just bouncing him off the wall?

Yes.

dugg
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It happened again just a few minutes ago and this time was with no cheats.
It was a legit DLTK attempt.

What is also different this time was I DID NOT press any buttons.
I just ran down the ramp and turned.

This marks 3x this has happened in the past few months.
First 2x with invince/unlimammo/farsight/cloaking/xray (not that those should affect it anyway but still).
Tonight though, no cheats, no funny business. Legit DLTK attempt.

NTSC console/cart.(same as first two instances)

If this isn't normal then my cart has to be bugged.

https://youtu.be/mSu0bEfGzpI

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that blows away any of my past theories. I'm now guessing action 01AD has failsafe checks in it and something about your exact position, your exact speed, and the lag going on caused it to decide not to execute.

Maybe some day I can try removing just that single action to see if I get that same jitter in your video. It'd at least prove it's that action.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: