ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Remapping Carrington Institute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Remapping Carrington Institute Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, guys. First post here at SF! How's everyone doing?

I'm just now getting into the GE Setup Editor and Hammer and checking things out and poking around...

Right now, I have only one goal. Is it possible to remap the Institute training level from PD, while still preserving the shooting range and labs?

I was hoping to rework it into something closer to Churchill's Bunker from Skyfall, with a little bit like an expanded G5 Grid Layout, but with all the little nooks and crannies to make that work with the firing range and various labs. But also with tunnels and grate systems like Silva used in Skyfall. More compact, and possibly a small Chicago-style Street level above to actually ride that hoverbike around on.

CI is sprawling with its passageways to the hangar and helipads, but if you could just kinda... fold it in on itself, so its slightly more vertical than horizontal, but still somwhat complex, it would make for a great "Agency" training level.

Could that work? I can't promise it'd be any good, but I really only had that idea. If the GE:X guys want whatever I come up with, I'd love to see this done. Mostly just didn't know if changing it meant losing the firing range, labs, Carrington and other NPCs, all the computer terminals, etc.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v50OtJa3rVBkcYp_GSMB_OWzWwN9uOk1/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by Reflectionist on Wed May 09, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome aboard!

I believe some things may be hardcoded, such as room IDs. If you try to maintain certain main room concepts (firing range, holotraining, gadget training, etc), and make sure they share the room ID of the original PD version, that would help. It may also be smart, once the background is all there (every room you need, you could tweak the aesthetics after), to reuse the PD setup file and pads, and slowly move things where you need them. Again, many things have a special tag on them (16 type object) and maintaining them would make your efforts go by more smoothly.

It sounds like a very interesting idea, and something not yet attempted. Hopefully we can work out all the kinks and get it fully operational.

Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Being a complete newbie to the GE Setup editor, how would you recommend starting to find some of that information out? I know there are tutorials, but there's a lot of "poke around and see," but yeah, I think I could think to keep room IDs and such.

I was looking through the actual CI map in the editor and hoped that kind of stuff was slaved to a setting in the computer objects you access to pull those things up. Alas.

For right now, though, I'm just wanting to make sure I can get something good going in Hammer, but I'm getting stuck trying to figure out how to plan ahead for elevators, doors, and secret doors, as those are in the prop images directory, so i assume they're loaded in through the PD editor as objects completely unrelated to Hammer. So I feel a bit like I need to measure things out?

I read that walls need to be >8 units in Hammer, but how wide / tall /deep do I need to go for doors and vent shafts? None of the tutorials I've read have that info.

Still figuring it out! Smile

I'm glad you like the idea!

EDIT -- Hang on, if I can figure out (from another thread) how to basically get the existing Carrington Institute map in a format Hammer can read, couldn't I use that information to reverse engineer the doors, ramps, and other things?

EDIT 2 -- I think I've figured it out, but it really depends on if this texture I'm using scales right. I grabbed image196 from the GE.wad (red brick) and it LOOKS right. I guess the grid I'm snapping to is 64, but being able to change it on the fly really helps with seamless block carving for doors and the like.

So far, I've found that making pillars and setting them equidistant across the map is really selling the tunnels vibe. I may need some help with archways, but I want to try to keep everything 90º or 45º except where that just isn't possible.

Other than that, I have a pretty good idea of where things are going to be. Cutting down on sheer tunnel volume from the Ci-Training means I may have more room for some of my ideas above, like the streets and a connecting Parking Garage.

For the streets level "above" the map, it'd be cool to have a ramp that comes down into the tunnels tanner and Bond first drive through in Skyfall.

Having a bit of trouble with placing M's office and Q's lab from the big main room, specifically, the first "New Digs" room entrance. Can someone help me out a bit on that? I know M's office overlooks this room, but can't place the Facility-esque stairs in relation...

Edit 3 (Sorry! I'm on mobile.) Speaking of facility esque stairs, is that done with a ramp or can I actually make stairs in Hammer?

Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the double post, guys. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to check out my map in Hammer and give me some pointers or suggestions before I take time on the next step, and while its relatively easy for ME to make changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Miq09UPSPbxPGJM767OclmD3va2G8OY7/view?usp=drivesdk

Of course, I wanted to go bigger with it, the Firing Range isn't here at all, and I didn't bother trying to put the streets on top. I can go farther with it, but I was worried about a few things before I continued.

Hope you like it, let me know what you think. Q's Lab has the same Hologram Training floor, and its across from M's office, which is on the second floor. There's an elevator shaft to the north center of the central room. North of that, would be the firing range.

Its been a good minute since I watched Skyfall, but it matches the intoductory sequence with Tanner walking Bond through the tunnels (you can follow their turns from the only playerstart I made, into the main room.)

Hopefully complex and comprehensive, but hard to get lost in.

I may not have the tools to do archways. But it doesn't look bad with all 90º angles (except for the tunnel "arches"). But at this stage, Hammer is easy and fun to work with, I don't mind taking the time to make it great here. It'll motivate me to trudge through the optimizing part.

Obviously, I used the GE.wad for textures. I guess this might make a good multiplayer map in GE for now, but obviously, I want to replace the Carrington Institute in PD with it. (Probably have to upsize it, but I made it modularish to get the tunnels right, so no problem.)

Again, didn't know how to do arches, but since there isn't a single curve in this map, I shouldn't have too many problems, right? Don't curves just multiply polygons? I was worried with the 'hanging' walkways. I tried to do a good vent shaft, but I guess thats probably easier in XSI... so I only did one.

Updated link with exported .map file

Last edited by Reflectionist on Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corfix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi welcome i can't seem to load your map file in hammer. The file has the wrong format

Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, no!

I'll fix it.

Oh, I should probably also note that i'm pretty sure this needs to be upsized, but I'm checking for internal consistency (so the Doors, Windows, Room Sizes, Vent, Stairs, and Pillars all properly scaled relative to each other) and general aesthetic / layout.

Any tips or suggestions or "Hey, you completely mutilated this doorframe" are all awesome. Any ways to lower polys at this point, I want to take advantage of. Please bear in mind that this is my first ever attempt at even USING Hammer, and it was honestly about 6 hours of actual work. I spent a lot of time flying around in the camera view. I don't claim to have any amount of experience, so please go easy on me. And please be thorough.

Anything that'll help me learn.

Last edited by Reflectionist on Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd suggest possibly uploading preview images of your map in progress, as most of us might not have Hammer setup, or the time to load in your file. But anybody viewing this thread could see pictures of your level and leave comments. Should be helpful.

Corfix
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh sorry i forgot to tell you what format. Valve's hammer editor uses vmf format for files not map

Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but the first one was an .rmf, though. Not sure why it didn't save with a file extension. Rename the first file, add .rmf at the end? In the meantime, I'll explicitly save it as "mI6.rmf" and upload that to gDrive.

Thats pretty weird, though. Damn.

I hope you don't think I'm wasting your time. Thank you for all of the help!

EDIT - this one will work

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v50OtJa3rVBkcYp_GSMB_OWzWwN9uOk1/view?usp=drivesdk

@Wreck: I'd absolutely love to, but I'm on my phone, which doesn't play well with image sites. I don't like it either, but since some of my issues are layout related, and some have to do with Hammer itself, its better this way for now.

Once I can, though, I agree completely. Sorry to be a bit of a nuisance, thank you for the patience.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Using crafty, I checked the map. There are a lot of windows and open areas. That will effect performance unless you set them to disable portal after X units from window (area 51). A lot of PD is putting a L or Y shape hallway after the doorway to cull objects within the room. You could try that.

Otherwise it looks nice, I like the hallway shape and columns.

Last edited by pavarini on Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reflectionist
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
Using crafty, I checked the map. There are a lot of windows and open areas. That will effect performance unless you set them to disable portal after X units from window (area 51). A lot of PD is putting a L or Y shape hallway after the doorway to cull objects within the room. You could try that.

Otherwise it looks like, I like the hallway shape and columns.

Thanks for the input! I could do the Area 51 trick. That gives a "foggy room" effect unless you're right up on a window, right? Since this is for CI training, I'm not even all that worried if the glass is completely opaque like some of the glass in GE's Control -- there's nobody to shoot on the other side. Plus it sells the "One Way Window" thing pretty well.

Some of the open areas are so because I closed it off. I do plan on retouching the bigger downstairs rooms so that air duct goes over a bathroom and drops you in a stall.

My wife bought Skyfall for me today on DVD, and I'm already at the part where he is talking to Severine in Macau. There are a few changes I can make to it.

Did you see the elevator shaft? Would a 90º opening work like that? (Through the wall opposite on the walkway is where the Firing Range will be.)

How much bigger than this can I go?

Thanks!

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe, I know more about GE than PD, but if it's just a trigger to open a door set then the rotation position isn't that important.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: