ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Triangulation Benchmark
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for clearing that up. Ideally, what would be some best practices for performance while creating a map?

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well... I guess having done my own throughput tests (including 1cycle, 2cycle, envmapping/realtime lighting, z-less) and combining that with the aesthetic values GE holds, you are probably already doing best practices for performance.

Everyone knows less tris = better performance, but tris are required for lighting (shadows etc) and so I would always lean toward better detail even though it sacrifices fps.

If you can get rid of z you would greatly increase performance, but BSP only works for objects/guards/guns (PD moved to levels... oh well, has anyone tried BSP in GE levels?)

If you made a simple level, say Tetris style, then using 1cycle would give best performance since no texture work needs done - and triangles will fill most of screen.
Again, you could use 1cycle for 8bit style textureing (since tri-linear mapping doesn't work even though mip-mapping still does)

But a single 1cycle triangle inside a 2cycle z-buffered level will make 0 difference in performance.

Performance suggestions are difficult because at the end of the day it depends on the look you want.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: