ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Bunker 2 Theme (Recreated with Super HQ)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Bunker 2 Theme (Recreated with Super HQ) Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to recreate the Bunker 2 theme entirely from scratch using the Goldeneye Soundfont. At first I just wanted to get a feel for the Soundfont as I plan to compose original GE pieces in the near future. So, I scavenged around for a MIDI file of Bunker 2 and only found one. But then I quickly realized how inaccurate it was (missing instruments, notes, wrong tempo, unnecessary crash symbol, wrong octaves, no snare roll, no harmonization, etc.) So, I figured it would be fun to remake it from the ground up!

I do plan to release a MIDI version for anyone interested, let me know what you guys think of it! Smile

LINK: Bunker 2

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I believe recreations with proper soundfonts allow the chance for people to create the highest quality possible versions of a retro video game song and I may plan to make more of these in the future =)

or you could just extract the original MIDI?

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From scratch? That's amazing! The only real thing I can criticize is the main accompaniment(?) seems to lower its volume on its last note each bar(?). I have other nitpicks, but if you're the perfectionist you appear to be, then you're surely already aware of them yourself.

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
From scratch? That's amazing! The only real thing I can criticize is the main accompaniment(?) seems to lower its volume on its last note each bar(?). I have other nitpicks, but if you're the perfectionist you appear to be, then you're surely already aware of them yourself.

Yup! I just plugged in my trusty headphones and listened closely to each note. I kind of know what you mean, but I think it seems that way because the original is compressed to the point of notes kind of bleeding into each other (I guess?) Yes, I am a perfectionist haha. I can even make some nitpicks myself, but I took the liberty of making certain instruments louder than in the original (like the higher octave siren synth that comes in to accompany the lead melody). Between the types of reverb used and overall tone, it's almost impossible to match the song perfectly, especially when you take compression into account. However, I'd like to think this remake is at least 95-98% faithful to the original Razz

Siul wrote:

I am aware of the tool, but I never actually used it before. If it is that easy though, then I am surprised no one has made high quality remasters yet! At least none that I know of.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trickle wrote:
... Between the types of reverb used and overall tone, it's almost impossible to match the song perfectly, especially when you take compression into account. ...

Even with the case of Final Fantasy VII vs. its demo, I almost always prefer the compressed versions of an OST. Most likely because it's what grew on me first. That being said, it was quite a treat to listen to your Super HQ version of Bunker 2, with all the crisp clarity and extra panning.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trickle wrote:
Siul wrote:

I am aware of the tool, but I never actually used it before. If it is that easy though, then I am surprised no one has made high quality remasters yet! At least none that I know of.

To do any such re-masters you would need the "Original" Synthesizer used by Rare. Someone has one and has already done this.

However, the Soundfont extracted by PG along with the midi extracted from PG (each just a few clicks in "Game Configuration") will re-create an exact copy - only so long as you disable all features of the soft-synth you are using (Auto-Reverb, Environment etc) - unless you want to quickly spruce it up in which case leave them on and enjoy HQ sound.

Trev

Trickle
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:

To do any such re-masters you would need the "Original" Synthesizer used by Rare. Someone has one and has already done this.

However, the Soundfont extracted by PG along with the midi extracted from PG (each just a few clicks in "Game Configuration") will re-create an exact copy - only so long as you disable all features of the soft-synth you are using (Auto-Reverb, Environment etc) - unless you want to quickly spruce it up in which case leave them on and enjoy HQ sound.
Trev

Well, that's why I didn't use the term "remaster" in the title as my only intention was to recreate the Nintendo 64 version as accurately as I could with a higher quality sound. Yeah, I tried the N64 Midi Tool the other day and it's insanely easy to use. The recreation of Bunker 2 was more of a personal fun challenge than anything else. I didn't mean to use the word remaster in my other reply.

I don't know if the GE Source team had the original synthesizer, but their remakes come very close! I don't know of any others, I searched YouTube and most "remasters" are actually just covers. And technically, nobody can make a remaster except for the people who own the original tracks used on whatever machine they had in the mid to late 90s. To use the same synthesizer would still be a remake as it isn't utilizing the master tracks.

Even if James Hetfield used his 1985 Jackson King V Custom and the rest of Metallica used their original instruments to re-record "Master of Puppets" today, it still doesn't make it a remaster. It would be a remake.

Perfect Dark on XBLA was a true remastering.

oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is something that some of us thought back in the GE PD remakes for the XBLA days, that it would be cool to hear higher quality versions of the N64 originals, maybe even repace som of the synth sounds with real intruments when appropiate.

To enjoy any higher quality synth version , or .wav .ogg or .mp3 of them during game-play there is only one way that i can think of that happening.

olll0 and i have been slowly modding a wrestling game for the N64, and for this particular game there is an windows executable called NMthing, that allows the 'injection' of (so far .mp3 files) to replace the certain midi or compressed sound file of the ROM.

it has the particular flaw that you can hear a short clip of beginning of the music track or midi on a loop, but that is quickly corrected with N64 sound tool or the n64 midi tool, by injecting a silent 1 note midi or no sound music track in its place , and the the NMthing executable replaces those silent tracks with your .mp3.

from what i hear, one of the problems with Goldfinger64 was that they wanted to make the sountracks longer, and had problems expanding audio or something to that effect.

This NMthing program resolves it by replacing a 0kb data portion of the ROM that you create by erasing or making null music/midi files in it, and replacing a huge file from an external folder in its place, so there is no limit to track length or sound quality you can use by using this method. OF course this is emulator only.

I have tried to get someone in my city to modify this NMthing program to expand its function, allowing me to even use simple sound banks as soundtracks, and to allow the use of randomized playlist files to not only use one soundtrack for a character , but a random soundtrack from a group to choose from. So every time the level or character music comes up, you get a different one with every gameplay Or a bunch of sountracks of a playlist for that particular character/level.

Example: when MOonwalker Michael Jackson comes into the ring during Royal Rumble, as long as he is on the Ring the you will hear all of the Moonwalker Ep soundtracks in random order as long as MIchael stays alive on the ring, or as long as new character comes in...

it is a very good thing that would allow ROM hackers to get rid of all the sound and music data, and use all that available ROM space to use for other things.

Not to mention that this program could also allow for more than just Music injection...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: